Newbie question Puppy kong

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Emily doodle

Newbie question Puppy kong

Post by Emily doodle » 27 Feb 2016, 23:08

Hiya,

As a newbie I have been scouring the forum for lots of tips .it looks like a kong would be a good buy for our puppy. I read a few reviews and was worried about what size to buy. Emily will be 8 weeks when we get her.

Also any experience with puppy heat pads? Sounded like a great idea until I read scary reviews about them leaking?

Thanks in advance

Gillian and emily

We5Kings

Re: Newbie question Puppy kong

Post by We5Kings » 27 Feb 2016, 23:20

Hi again, the main thing is to just concentrate on the simple things at first. The pup will feel a bit confused leaving her Mum. Make sure you give her lots of time to settle in. They are all different but they are very like babies. They need lots of sleep, lots of trips outside to wee etc AND they will disrupt any routines you had before they came :lol: As regards a Kong, make sure you don't try to introduce too many different foods too soon. Stick to what the breeder has weaned her on at first. Anny and Dude

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Feb 2016, 01:23

Beamish slurped himself to sleep for his first year with a puppy kong - then I woke up to the fact that he wasn't a puppy anymore! :lol: :lol: I got him the little kong, in powder blue - the colours are important as they indicate strength - powder blue and baby pink are the softest, red is middling, and black is really tough. Initially I stuffed it with goats yoghurt and then froze it, then we moved on to minced meat frozen, as I wanted to move him over to raw food.

Instead of a puppy heat pad, I use a warm hot water bottle covered in the blanket that came from the breeder and smelt of his Mum, but tbh he only needed it for the first couple of nights.

Good luck - puppies are hard work and full of concerns, but don't forget to take the time to play and enjoy our pup :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 29 Feb 2016, 22:09

So do you think I should get the small pink one for her coming home and just put some of her own kibble inside it to start it or not bother at the start?

Gillian and Emily

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 01 Mar 2016, 12:29

We feed Winnie all her kibble in Kongs and food dispensing toys. It works really well because it is giving her a task and gets some of the excess puppy energy worked off. It also means she doesn't have a food bowl to defend against the kids!!! We moisten some of her kibble and stuff that into a Kong when we leave her in her crate. I think Kongs are great! You can put banana, cheese spread or (puppy safe)peanut butter into them and freeze them which is great when they are teething.

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 01 Mar 2016, 22:48

Katy what age did you start to use nut butter? Which brand do you use?

Gillian and emily

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 01 Mar 2016, 23:54

Winnie hasn't particularly gone for peanut butter! We waited a couple of weeks after we got her because we didn't want to introduce too many new things too soon. I made some homemade dog treats that had peanut butter in and she likes them.