Aggressive to other dogs

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
pamela1

Aggressive to other dogs

Post by pamela1 » 28 Feb 2016, 20:32

Hi
I have been registered with the forum since getting our Labradoodle, Bailee nearly 4 years ago. She is 4 in April. I have not logged on for quite a while though.
For the last few months she has become aggressive to most other dogs with a few exceptions. We don't know what to do about this as she is a very loving dog for the rest of the time and she loves human contact. She will go to the human rather than the dog, however, she has always done that.
We are worried about what people are going to think of her, we don't want her to gain a reputation in the village as a savage dog.
Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards. Pamela

Pollydoodle

Re: Aggressive to other dogs

Post by Pollydoodle » 28 Feb 2016, 21:22

Hi Pamela, it is a worry for us when something chsnges.
What do you think has happened that she has changed? Any incident?
Did another dog rush her, is it when she is on the lead only ?
Is she perhaps telling off ill mannered younger dogs?

pamela1

Post by pamela1 » 28 Feb 2016, 22:01

Hi.
Thank you for answering. I don't think anything has changed with anything around Bailee. Her routine is the same etc. I suppose there have been instances over time when dogs have been aggressive towards her, but, not to the point that they hurt her in my way, and only one of those things if you know what I mean.
No, other dogs don't have to rush her and it isn't only when she is on the lead, it has happened a couple of times when she has been off lead and running about. Other dogs come up to her and sniff her and then the next thing she is snarling and rushing them. It's embarrassing for us and distressing for her I suppose. It has happened with younger dogs, but also with dogs her own age too. I don't know what to do. We have said that we will pull her away from other dogs if she starts again and keep her on the lead. She is a happy lovely dog normally, this is against her personality.
Regards Pamela

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 28 Feb 2016, 23:22

It is really difficult to comment without seeing her or maybe asking loads of questions. Someone else may help by reply.
Alot depends on her body language too, so many nuances we easily miss as humans.

When dogs come up to sniff and then she snarls ( always sounds worse than it is and yes we can feel embarrassed) yet sounds like she is doing usual dog antics ie bog off leave me alone!

I don't know if this article and the video would be helpful to you.

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-behav ... en-safford

Ps: she is not sore perhaps nd hence reacting ? :?

pamela1

Post by pamela1 » 29 Feb 2016, 09:48

Hi again.
Bailee has always gone to the human first before the dog when we meet others outside. She had a friend for a couple of years, a cocker poo of the same age who still lives down the road from us. Then all of a sudden one day Bailee went for the other dog, snarling and rushing it. After that they were both the same and seem to have fallen out!!. We thought that it may be just one of those things, however, she has done it a few times since to other dogs. There is another dog down the road, a Labrador, now I can understand why Bailee doesn't like her because she approaches with all her teeth showing. It's a little nuance with the Labrador, it's like she's smiling at you as she approaches. But obviously Bailee must see it as a threat as her teeth are bared. Yesterday we met a neighbour at our gate after taking Bailee for a walk. The neighbour has a schnauzer who she had just taken out. We were just exchanging pleasantries when the dogs circled one another and Bailee went for the dog, who gave as good as he got. We both walked away saying it was both of them at fault, but I think that Baiee started it off.
Saying all this there are a lot of dogs that she doesn't do this to. She gets on OK with next doors Italian spinoni's, however they tower over her.!!
Think we will see how it goes offering Bailee praise when she behaves well and reprimands when she doesn't and then go to see a trainer for advice if it continues.
Thanks
Pamela

stout

Post by stout » 29 Feb 2016, 15:55

Stout can be the same - especially when he is on his lead. He really doesn't like jack russells (but then he has been bitten 3 times by them), he was attacked by a fox terrier when he was a pup - so isn't keen on anything that looks like one of those. Certain collies as well (there is an evil one who lives by us - so any that look like her he snarls at - one of the reasons we gave up flyball :evil: ). For some reason he also snarls at greyhounds - but there is one he now plays with in the park.

I know what you mean though, I always worry people will think he is really scary - especially given his is quite large.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

pamela1

Post by pamela1 » 29 Feb 2016, 16:16

Hi. It's a dilemma isn't it. She is so loving with us and most other people. It's just some dogs!!. I was asked in a previous post if there had been any changes for her, well I was thinking about it today and suddenly realised that there has been. I retired 4 years ago and last year my husband retired, so now Bailee has us both practically 24 hours a day to herself. Perhaps she is with us too much !! Don't know. We will persevere!!
Regards
Pamela

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Feb 2016, 21:43

What a shame - it must make enjoying your walks difficult.

To be honest since it is a change in her behaviour, my approach would be to start with a visit to a vet, because so often something like achey joints, or toothache etc is the reason behind a change in behaviour. Once that has been ruled out it would be worth contacting a behaviourist, because this is what they are trained to look at. Most behaviourists will want a vets referral (just to rule out any physical problems), and your vet will probably be able to recommend one (but do make sure they are properly qualified and experienced as some vet nurses claim to be behaviourists with very little training). If you take this route then your insurance if you have it, may cover it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pamela1

Post by pamela1 » 29 Feb 2016, 22:35

Hi Bid
Thank you for that, I will do that. Anything to sort it out in some way. It's not like her, she is so soft and loving normally.
Regards
Pamela

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 06 Mar 2016, 12:18

I would be well interested I. The way you go. Lulu as she is getting older is getting aggressive to dogs. She hates boxers and will go for them. She used to be one dogs that would sit when another dog came up to her. But now she does sometimes but no all the times. She is a human loving dog so was wondering if there is some sort of jealousy. She is now getting more aggressive with bigger dogs but loves puppies and smaller dogs. I really never know what what way she is going and try not t let is get to me. But I find it is. I wAtch her much more than I used to and also. She doesn't wonder off as far as she used to always looking back. She stays with a home broader quite a lot and she is fine in her house and she has other dogs so it maybe just me. Who knows.

So I will be interested :D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage