Introducing Eddy!

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
RCL

Introducing Eddy!

Post by RCL » 27 Mar 2016, 12:07

This is actually my first posting on here although I have been reading most of the posts over the last few months. We have a 13 week old miniature black Labradoodle called Eddy. We have had him from 8 weeks but to be honest it has taken a while to get used to having a puppy around. It's makes very interesting reading seeing all the different issues that crop up, many of which we can relate too! Eddy is a sweet natured little boy but like many of you the biting frenzy that comes along afew times a day is tricky to deal with. My children are ages 13 and 9 and sometimes play with my youngest son gets abit crazy and Eddy just gets too excited. On the positive side he has never cried at night in his crate even from the first night and never had a toilet accident in there. Even when he was a little sick one day he did it out through the bars. We have just started puppy training and that is going well. Will have a look at the instructions and attempts to add a photo.
Happy Easter, Rachel

Bid

Re: Introducing Eddy!

Post by Bid » 27 Mar 2016, 21:13

Welcome Rachel & Eddy :D

It's a bit harder than you imagine isn't it! But so worth persevering with!

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 28 Mar 2016, 11:40

Looking forward to seeing pix of Eddy! I think the key with children and dogs is to tell the child to "be boring"! Not so easy for a 9year old but it does work! Basically your son should just stop the game and walk away. Just a thought. Anny

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 29 Mar 2016, 21:01

Rachael,

We are at the same stage as you but possibly having slightly less fun....Emily is almost 12 weeks and not such a sweet nature. I have 3 little ones the youngest being 3. Emily really makes it her mission in like to nip the life out of them. It wasn't so bad at first but as she has grown it really hurts them.

I had to put her in her crate and lock it tonight as things were getting out of had at bedtime:((((

Hope things settle for you too. Enjoy puppy class

Gillian

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 29 Mar 2016, 22:11

Hello Rachel,
Welcome to the forum! Yes, puppies are brilliant, but they are also very hard work. Children especially tend to think that they are more like cuddly toys, rather than living beings... probably because the look so darned cute! I've had problems recently with my younger dood because people just can't leave him alone - even when I ask them to...
I think it's a little like when you have a new baby in the house, when you have to explain to the children that they need their space, and should be left alone at times...
Does Eddy have his own little space that he can go to, that the children know they can't disturb him?
You will already know that our Iant was a nippy terror as a pup - Time Outs were the key to helping him calm down. They also gave me the chance to regroup my frazzled nerves... :wink:
Trying not to let your pup get over-excited can help too - it's easier to control them when they're calm, rather than when they've become what our trainer calls 'a shaken bottle of pop'!! :wink:
Looking forward to seeing photos of Eddy (I love a black dood!) - some of us use Photobucket, but it's trial and error as the instructions are a little dated now...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x