including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 12:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ears
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 10:28 

It's been 2years since Dude has needed ear drops but, after several days of head shaking, I took him to the vets and we have Canaural drops. These worked before so fingers crossed.
What I was wondering is: What methods do you use to look after your doodles ears? Dude goes to the groomer about every 8weeks. She plucks his ears and I do a bit of plucking between grooms.( using ear powder and fingers)
I also wipe his ears with a damp wipe every week( and I always dry them afterwards) He is a v curly doodle with fuzzy fur ears!
One of the vets at our practice says: No liquid, ever, in dog ears, and no plucking!! The other agrees with what I do already.( she has Shnauzers who need their ears plucked)
Just interested to hear any of your views. Anny

Post subject: Re: Ears
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 11:33 

I leave my dogs ears alone as much as I can...I do give an occasional clean with canaural. and just trim away hair with blunt scissore to allow as much air in as possible
There is a great divide on ears especially as far as vets go . Some say never pluck, some say the ears must be kept clear to allow air to circulate.
Some research says that plucking can damage the ear drum others say it doesn't.
I think you have opened a can of worms with this post :lol:

Huggy had his ears plucked prior to coming to live with me and he suffered from recurrent ear infections ....my other 7 have never had any problem whatsoever and I don't pluck.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 12:15 

Blimey, lots of conflicting views then so I guess its a case of go with what you think works best for you!

Interesting for e as Bailey has had two ear infections in a short space of time so its something we are careful to keep tabs on.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 12:37 

Stout gets sore ears in one more than the other with the occasional ear infection. The groomer plucks them but only if they are not looking inflamed. We clean them every couple of weeks with cleanaural.

He has been getting a teaspoon of Chris honey and day for a year or so. When we read on tinternet about it apparently as it is anti inflammatory it can help with sore ears (and bellies), he does seem to be scratching less. Might just be coincidence of course!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 11:27 

Interesting isn't it. So far the drops seem to be working( less head shaking)
Wow Linny! You have 7 doodles! Respect! I feel like you about messing around with ears. I remember when we got Dude being told about plucking etc and it seemed wrong! But then you go to groomers and they say it's essential and so on. When I was in my teens we used to have a Cocker Spaniel who always had ear problems. Mum used to peg his ears on top of his head to let the air get in!!
I like the idea of honey and have just offered Dude a spoonful....He DOESNT like it at all!! :lol: Very surprised cos he will eat anything!!!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 15:58 

:lol: NO Anny I don't have 7 Doods ...I'm not quite that mad yet!...I have two Doods but have been owned by 4.
I also have two wanna be doods (Poodle x chihuahua ) Amos & Eli
One Jack Russell, Millie.
One chihuahua x Yorkie , Rupert and a Westie x Cairn called Mutley
The little poodle x Chihuahua boys have very hairy inner ears and I only ever trim them as I do for Ambrose and Jethro.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 20:11 

I treat mine each differently....

Beamish doesn't have very hairy ears - I check them regularly and usually don't need to do anything. Occasionally they look a bit mucky so I clean them with Clorexyderm. He's not had an ear infection so far.

Poppy has very hairy ears, and I do pluck hers a little - I leave enough hair in there to catch seeds etc from going down the ear canal, but remove enough to hopefully let a little air circulate. I use ear plucking forceps - I find that the easiest way to pluck them. As with Beam - I only clean when they look mucky.

Daisy has a long history of ear infections including some hard to get rid of pseudomonas infections, and it has been a long process to get her clear (5 years!). I think she has a food allergy - possibly chicken, and she also has a dust mite allergy which can't be helping. Daze doesn't have hairy ears so no need to pluck them. She gets her ears cleaned twice a week without fail (with Clorexyderm - she has developed sensitivities to many ear cleaners and I know she is OK with this).

When I clean their ears I squirt the ear cleaner in (no messing with a few drops), rub them for about a minute, allow them to shake then wipe around with a cotton wool ball. Imo the only time it is a problem putting ear cleaner in the ears is if you think the ear drum is compromised - usually when an infection has been there for a fair time.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 10:06 

We5Kings wrote:
I like the idea of honey and have just offered Dude a spoonful....He DOESNT like it at all!! :lol: Very surprised cos he will eat anything!!!

Stout sniffed the first lot of honey suspiciously, he wasn't convinced immediately! He now loves it, and every night at nine ish he does his 'honey bark' and goes into the kitchen and stands by the spoon draw. He only likes chris' honey or expensive stuff. We took some squeezy honey to doodlefest last year stout refused to eat it, we ended up stirring it into his food, we have created a honey snob :lol:

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 15:39 

Thankyou Bid for excellent advice and 3different examples. Coincidentally, Dude has always reacted badly to chicken and even treats with any chicken content.I will order some Clorexyderm in case the ear flares up again. The vet charged me £22 for a tiny bottle of Canaural...although, to be fair I always feel it's worth it to get the vet to actually examine the ear.
Linny, I'm sure you could manage 7 doodles :lol: Your mixed pack have Lovely names! Photo? I had a Cairn, in my 20s and he was a total nightmare! :roll:
I think Stout may have a point about the quality of the honey! I did try Dude with the squeezy cheap stuff, so no wonder he objected! ( although I wouldn't have put Dude down as discerning, I mean he eats cat poo!! :roll: ) Anny

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 16:19 

Just to clarify - Canaural is not an ear cleaner - they are anti-biotic drops so should be carefully measured according to direction - they are prescription only. Ear cleaners are available without a prescription and are the ones you can squirt in more or less willy nilly! (I didn't want anyone to go wasting precious resources by squirting AB drops in their doodles ears!)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 14:02 

Bid wrote:
Just to clarify - Canaural is not an ear cleaner - they are anti-biotic drops so should be carefully measured according to direction - they are prescription only. Ear cleaners are available without a prescription and are the ones you can squirt in more or less willy nilly! (I didn't want anyone to go wasting precious resources by squirting AB drops in their doodles ears!)

I did mean Cleanaural Bid so thanks for putting everyone straight about the difference !
Just another senior moment on my part .... :roll:....getting more frequent these days too. :lol: