including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 11:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello, looking for a puppy to suit my family
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 17:22 

Hi, my name is Nick. I am interested to know if a Labradoodle is a good pet for my family, or if we are a good family for a Labradoodle?!

As well as my husband and I we have one child of 10 and two children under 4. I mostly work from home, but when I do have to go out, the doggy would be looked after by my Mum who has a loving and placid Welsh Terrier. I also have an elderly relative whose wellbeing would greatly improve if I could bring the pooch over to say hello.

Our home is large inside, but we have a small garden. However on the plus side we live in the country and as an active family they would be spoilt with exercise. Grooming is not an issue.

We all love the curly cream Labradoodles and would prefer a medium to large dog.

Previously we've had pedigree dogs, so I'm very nervous about the whole process (although we understand about the better health benefits). Are their recommended breeders or area representatives?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hello, looking for a puppy to suit my family
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 20:45 

Where are you based. Perhaps you should see if there are any walks near you to see if you like them. They come in all shapes and colours and sizes.

is it any puppy or just. Labradoodle. Why a dood.

Good luck with your search. We love our doods. They are great dogs

ImageImage

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 12:15 

I'm with Dee on this.
If you are local to any Doodle dog walking groups do go to one of the meets and get a feel for the dogs. Owners will happily share their experiences with you.
I have had Labradoodles for almost 20 years and love the cross.
There are loads of excellent breeders out there but there are also puppy farmers. Do your research !....make sure that the sire and dam have had the relevant health tests done and always see the pup with it's mother.
If you use the search facility on here you can look back and find out some of the excellent breeders and the not so excellent ones.
Because you have two little ones under four years of age and elderly relatives you need to make the right choices.
Perhaps a mini Doodle might be more suitable than a standard ?
One of my standards grew to be 49 kilos and often knocked me off my feet (unintentionally)
My other standards are 31 kilos and 37 kilos.so quite big.and very bouncy :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 12:43 

Thank you, they are very good suggestions. We've considered a Soft Haired Wheaton in the past, so that kind of size. At one point we discussed a Westie (had two very lovely Westie's once before), but felt that we'd like a bigger dog.

I will look for local walks and if a Dood (love that by the way), is the right doggy for us, it will also help us to track down a good breeder. I will look on here as well to verify.

Cream or gold is the colour for us I think, although all are lovely.

Thanks again,

Nick

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 17:53 

Hi Nick!

Welcome to the forum.

This is our cream 'dood', Yoshi. He's a medium Australian labradoodle. About 20" high and weighs 18 kg. He often gets mistaken for a wheaten terrier when out and about.

Our breeder was Tora labradoodle, near Glasgow which we would recommend. There are lots of good breeders around if you do your homework. There's a labradoodle puppy finder group on Facebook where all the members have to adhere to health checks.

Good luck with your search!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 15:59 

Australian Doods whose lines trace back to Rutland Manor and Beverley Manners do have Wheaton in their blood lines.!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 18:12 

Coco and Annie wrote:
Hi Nick!

Welcome to the forum.

This is our cream 'dood', Yoshi. He's a medium Australian labradoodle. About 20" high and weighs 18 kg. He often gets mistaken for a wheaten terrier when out and about.

Our breeder was Tora labradoodle, near Glasgow which we would recommend. There are lots of good breeders around if you do your homework. There's a labradoodle puppy finder group on Facebook where all the members have to adhere to health checks.

Good luck with your search!

Hello, I have just seen your post about Tora breeders near Glasgow. I'm looking for a true miniature labradoodle and would be interested to know your feelings about them. If it's not a rude question can you tell me how much I might have to pay to get our ideal puppy. We are in Scotland and although there are many labradoodles on Internet sites I would prefer a properly recommended breeder.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 21:39 

T wish you joy in searching for your Labradoodle to complete your family.I have two beautiful apricot (Creamy)girls.now twenty months old and the most affectionate ,friendly dogs without a bad habit of any kind.They are quite easy to train and are wonderful. I am 88 years old, myself (and my husband's ) life is full and very happy.A lot due to the pups !
This week we bought a treadmill in order to allow them more exercise during bad weather or if we find it difficult to do enough walking ,luckily we are both fit up to now.
I am planning on breeding with them and have had the necessary health checks done very successfully ,I just can't wait for that time to come.
If you find a Labradoodle,you will never be disappointed in what they add to your life.Your children will also benefit enormously.
The cross of the Labrador and the poodle gives you the very best of temperaments.wonderful for the children !
My planned pups will be too late for your needs,but I suggest GO FOR IT !

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 08:11 

I have three doods and love them dearly, but it is only fair to give you the downside as well as the upside!

First of all health. A first cross will have the benefits of hybrid vigour but this reduces with each subsequent cross and remember that a crossbreed will be liable to health problems of both parent breeds.

Then there are the brains. Most people have got the message about boarder collies needing a Job but few realise that standard poodles are not far behind them in intelligence. Doodles are getting a reputation for being untrainable or manic when in reality if they have the poodle brain they need to use it. To me this is a huge plus as I do agility, flyball and heelwork to music with my dogs but if that isn't your thing you could have a problem if you end up with a brainy doodle.

Lastly the coat. You say grooming isn't a problem but just so you know, it can be. The curly doods need a lot of proper brushing. It takes me an hour to brush poppy thoroughly. Daisy my cream girl has an easy care coat but her litter mate Raggle has a phenomenal coat. Incredibly thick and wavy. It also keeps growing - up to seven inches. She needs daily brushing right through to the skin, sheds for England all year round and needs to be scissor cut every six weeks. She is high maintenance!

I'm not trying to put you off as I think they are wonderful dogs, but being a crossbreed you can never be sure what you are getting.even a repeat mating isn't always predictable.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 08:18 

Hi Jillus

Sorry, only just noticed your post asking about Yoshi's breeder. Yes, I do definitely recommend Tora's. All their dogs have wonderful temperaments and great looks and I haven't as yet heard of any any of her dogs with serious health problems.

I paid £1500 for Yoshi which included neutering, microchip and first vacc.

Hope this helps, if a little too late.
X

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 13:04 

Hello again,I am interested to know if you finally did choose a dood ?

One of my girls has now become pregnant with a lovely male of the same 'Apricot' colour,really very creamy.I am sure that my future litter is going to be far too late for you,but I must assure you ,that this cross of the Poodle and the Labrador is a real winner.This is the first time that I have bred a litter and I am very excited and can't wait ! The health checks were more expensive than I expected,but how reassuring it is to know that they are
fine.Fifty more days to wait !