including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello - Introducing tiggy.
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 17:37 

Hello,

I have been lurking on the site for a while and have found all the topics and advice really helpful.

We have a nearly 5 month old Labradoodle called Tiggy ( I will look up the thread on photobucket and upload some photos). She is such a fun, loving and sweet natured puppy but also very mischievous and energetic at times!

It has been a real learning curve as she is our first dog.
On the positive side she has slept in her crate at night since she arrived, toilet trained really quickly, walks nicely on a loose lead, confident and sociable with people and dogs, and and has finally stopped nipping (hopefully reassuring for those of you who have younger doodles that are biting and nipping). The kids adore her and still fight over who will get the first cuddle when she wakes up in the morning.

Our current challenges are:
Recall (she definitely makes a decision on whether to come back based on weighing up the treat she may receive versus the fun she is having). I have been practising with a recall line and also being off the lead but its a bit hit and miss.
Barking - she is quite vocal and often hears noises that make her bark or sometimes does it to get attention.
Counter surfing - she has just started doing this now that she has grown big enough to do it!
Evenings - she is very calm in the morning and has regular naps but from the afternoon tends to get
more demanding and mischievous. We do try and do short training sessions, frozen kongs, play with her and also ignore her to encourage her to rest etc but as soon as these finish she is back to causing mayhem.

She is certainly keeping us on our toes (including already having surgery to remove a £1 coin that she ate.... having literally dropped it on the ground)

Kate and Tiggy

Post subject: Re: Hello - Introducing tiggy.
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2016, 21:54 

Hi Kate,
It's lovely to hear about Tiggy, I have a doodle the same age and his behaviour sounds identical, (though his nipping during really excited times has not completely ended yet.)
You're own personal doggy bank! :shock:
My goodness, that must have been so worrying! (I hope the vet gave you the coin back.....if you didn't want to keep it as a momento, I'm sure it would have come in handy to help with the surgery cost. :lol: )

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 08:42 

Hello,

It sounds like normal doodle puppy behaviour then!

Yes we did say it was the most expensive pound we have ever spent :) although luckily we were insured. The vet did give me the coin as a momento.
It was very upsetting and stressful at the time but she recovered really quickly and it will be a story to tell in years to come!

Your doodle looks lovely btw.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 12:28 

:) Welcome.....Tiggy sounds lovely so I'm looking forward to the pics just to see what a doodle bank looks like :lol:
I can imagine how worried you must have been at the time but it's one for the memory book that's for sure.
For 5 monthe she sounds as if she is doing really well and I'm sure recall will improve. Just keep on with the longline and lots of praise and reward.
If you find a cure for barking.....please let me know. :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 14:13 

Here is a picture of our doodle bank! (I dont know how to make this image smaller though?)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 16:09 

Aw,Tiggy is really gorgeous!
Re the counter surfing, I've always used the "gentle shock" method ( works for paws on table too) Have a rolled up magazine ready and as soon as paws go up just whack the table( near to, but never on paws) This works very well. It doesn't need to be a hard whack, just enough to make her jump down. Then give a treat. (Although I NEVER EVER give any treats near the table) This method has worked with many dogs. We only used this for Dude 2or 3times. They learn very quickly.
Re the barking for attention it depends why she's barking. If she's heard something( postman etc)then I follow Suzi's advice and say "good boy, yes it's the postman"etc. However, if she's just barking AT you then I would turn my back until she stops, then give a treat. Anny

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 21:42 

Thanks Anny - will give that a try!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 01:27 

She is scrumptious, even better she looks sooo cheeky 8)
Tiggy is just the age to start being braver exploring and ignoring you, keep teaching her what you would like.
On the barking , try make sure you are not rewarding her unintentionally. I speak with a 4 year old who lies downstairs and gives almighty 'woof' which is more a 'where are you' bark ...all my own making, still tinsy insy irritating when one is working on tne other side of the home. :roll:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 18:45 

Thanks.... Yes trying to ignore any attention seeking barking and quietly acknowledging alert barking.
You are right, she certainly is cheeky :D

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 21:10 

Tiggy is absolutely gorgeous :D
You will get lots of good advise on here - just remain strong in those puppy months/years :lol: