including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 03:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi there!
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018, 09:22 

Hi. I am new here. We have a 12 week old Doodle called Luna. She is a bunde of energy - currently going through the dreaded mouthing stage - and it hurts! We lost our beloved Golden Retrievers to old age a little while ago, and in order not to compare with them we went for a Doodle as our daughter has a gorgeous girl. This one is extremely high energy! She loves visitors and playtime, but gets a little over excited in the evening - usually calmed down with a little time out. She does NOT like being left alone. We are building up leaving her and are now up to an hour and a half. We are working on the travelling in the car - getting better, and she will soon be able to go for walks to burn off some of the energy we hope! She appears to be extremely clever and has learned the usual sit/stay/down in only a few short sessions. We are hoping the nipping stage calms down soon - trying the usual ignoring it, replacing hands with a toy etc - swinging on trouser legs and skirts is also a favourite passtime! We have enrolled her on puppy training classes starting shortly, I took my Goldies regularly and they were model dogs. Does anyone have any advice for hair growing round the eyes? She is very furry and predominantly curly/wavy and has a lot of longish hair around the eyes. I am afraid to trim it myself and she is booked with groomer as soon as vaccs are effective to tidy this up. Anyways - we live in West Sussex near the beach and are looking forward to lots of fun times with Luna.

Post subject: Re: Hi there!
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018, 13:54 

Welcome to you and Luna,perhaps we will bump into you as we are in w/ Sussex too.
Luna sounds very much like most doodles, the nippy stage can be painful but it really does pass, you sound as if you have the training situation well in hand. I found this forum so helpful when we bought our pup home that was over 5 years ago. If only to discover the traumas we were going through were “normal “ for a doodle. We also had a golden retriever for 15 years and like you could not have another one as we would have compared a near perfect girl, so chose a labradoodle for all the right reasons, she has proved to be very different from our golden but such a joy to have. A sense of humour is imperative as they have a wicked sense of fun, I devised so many different games to keep her mind active. I remember the evening doodle madness just as we were flagging Holly seemed to get a second wind but that to passes. I just kept saying it is all a phase. “Time out” when they get over tired or just plain wound up was a great help and well advised.
Well keep posting. Take plenty of pics (we love them too) They grow so fast we used to think Holly grew every night.
Enjoy Kathie and Holly

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018, 14:08 

Hello from HOLLY to LunaImage

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2018, 23:47 

It's hello and welcome from me and mine :D
Enjoy her.....puppy days fly past all too quickly. !
It's great that you have booked your puppy training class, I am a great believer in training ,training,and more training .....doods are very intelligent and benefit from as much mental stimulation as you can give .....it's as important as physical activity.
Looking forward to watching her grow.
Linny, Ambrose,Jethro,Amos Eli, Millie Mutley & Bella

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 10:28 

Hi again,

Can anybody help me with how to upload/attach a photo!

Luna doesn't like this hot weather - with a thick coat like hers I am not surprised - it has slowed her energy a little - until evening!

I am currently freezing a Kong to give her when we have to go shopping - she really doesn't like being left - she yelps for a little while but is always quiet when we return. We are up to 2 hours now!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 16:06 

Welcome Lunadoo from Sarah and poorly Harley.

This is the site that is easy to post pictures from.

https://postimages.org

press choose image, pick from where on your computer/phone you want it from

keep it at 15inch monitor

right click hotlink for forums and copy and then paste on here

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018, 19:02 

Not sure if this will work, but here is our Luna - don't let the butter wouldn't melt look fool you - shes a real handful!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018, 22:49 

Oh my oh my seriously cute! :D
Wow her coat does look thick especially for such a youngest.
For around her eyes, I would use round ended scissors, first getting her used to having something come towards, close to her eyes.
Looks like she will spend quite so time at the groomers so if not already doing get her used to having paws touched and body handled and a comb and or brush.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 07:46 

Omg she is just adorable, like a little teddy bear.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 08:35 

Hi Luna, you are the sweetest bundle of fluff but I am sure underneath is a cheeky monkey 8) She will need plenty of grooming with a slicker brush and a good comb through. Holly’s is a thick fleece coat very similar to Luna’s and as a puppy the lab coat gets trapped under the poodle coat leading to mats. So good combing through to the skin is a help. Find a groomer who understands doodle coats. Holly went at 6 months for her first good cut but had taken her in several times to get her used to the sounds and smells beforehand, unless you are able to do yourself ( It was beyond me) you will be going every 7-8 weeks, expensive but necessary. Do post more photos so we can watch her development. How big do you think she will grow?
Happy days Kathie

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 09:37 

Holly at 8weeks now over 5 and her coat changed very little if left too long resembles a sheepImage

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 13:24 

Image]Thanks for your responses - nice to know you are there! The warm weather has had a bit of a calming effect on Luna - she comes to life when it cools down though. Travelling by car is improving, we managed 5 miles yesterday. The nipping is getting better too - thank goodness! Holly looks very like Luna and I know her coat is going to be high maintenance. Her mother was a Labradoodle with dreadlocks and her father was a standard poodle. I have been brushing and combing her every morning to get her used to it and also wiping her eyes, I even managed to snip off a wayward sprouting clump of hair which was getting in her eyeline ( with rounded end small scissors). She is having her next injection on Tuesday and will soon be out and about, which is what she needs I am sure. She is growing almost before our very eyes, loves playing under the garden hose in this weather and then rolling in earth - when wet she looks very poodley!

Lovely to be in contact with you all!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 14:57 

Ooh that is a cheeky look, watch your sausages in future. Holly has fairly short clip in this weather but a fleece is still a fur coat however short. Like Luna Holly enjoys a game of hose me if you can catch me, normally I end up just as wet. Glad the nippy phase is passing, you just have to survive each new doodle phase by two Holly woke up one morning and it was as if the light bulb had turned on, all that training was in there waiting to be discovered.
It is so good to get them into the world, you will not get far for people wanting to pet her, stopping a doodle from jumping up is probably near impossible but at 31k not something I encourage people letting Holly do, you will get “ I don’t mind “ but the next person might be a child or elderly, so try to nip it in the bud if she jumps up.
I am sure Luna has grown already!!
Kathie and Holly