How long do you leave your dog

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
glenis

How long do you leave your dog

Post by glenis » 18 Sep 2007, 08:13

Hi

I was just wondering how long do you leave your dog? I have 2 dogs and they are 10months old now, we go to work and come home to check on them at regular intervals. This is not a problem but sometimes I have to attend a meeting during the time I would normally go home. I have successfully managed to put them all off so far but it is getting increasingly harder to do.

Please let me know how long does everyone else manage to leave them.

Thank you Glen

Kath

Re: How long do you leave your dog

Post by Kath » 18 Sep 2007, 08:58

Morning Glen

Since having Roxy she's been at my parents house all day whilst I'm in work, they sometimes pop her in her crate if they need to go out, but it's never been for more than 2-3 hours at a time. They're going away next Friday, so I have to put her in her crate all day! I'll pop home at lunch time and take her for a walk but apart from that she'll be in there from 8am - 4pm. I think she'll be fine, I'm presuming she'll just sleep, but as long as she got some toys and a chew I'm happy.

I personally wouldn't want to leave her all day every day at this age, but I can't see my parents having her forever so one day she will have to be left.

Kath

glenis

Post by glenis » 18 Sep 2007, 09:27

Hi Kath

That is the what we are doing at the moment, with having 2 they usually play together. We used to have them in a large cage together but now they have the use of the Utility room. They seem very happy.

Glen

Emma

Post by Emma » 18 Sep 2007, 09:37

Kath, i think you should try to think of something other than crating her all day. its just too long to be kind. :cry: I know is very difficult though. Isnt there just one room that you can give her? Maybe your kitchen so long as there is nothing she can get to that will hurt her. Your garage? Utility? Bathroom even ( and theres not much she can harm in there? Just throw her bed in with toys and chews etc?
Sorry, just my opinion. :(
Amos and Emma

Kath

Post by Kath » 18 Sep 2007, 10:04

Having her stay on her own isn't for a long time yet as my parents are perfectly happy to have her with them. One day won't hurt and I will be home at lunchtime to take her out.

At the moment she is chewing and destroying anything she can get her little teeth into so leaving her out of her crate unattended is a big no no!

We only decided to get a dog once my parents agreed to 'dog sit' everyday, I think my dad really enjoys the company as he doesn't work and my mum adores her, it's a substitute grandchild for her!!!

Millie's family

Post by Millie's family » 18 Sep 2007, 10:47

I guess all dogs are different. Mills is chilled if I'm out for 1-2 hours, she's vocal if I return after 3 and she's beside herself if I'm out for 4. So I don't usuall leave her for more than 3.5 hours. she can be left all evening if we're out, she just curls up and goes to sleep.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Sep 2007, 12:57

I have a 4 hour limit. My dogs live in the living room (only room that leaves the cats with a free run from cat flap to stairs), and Daisy has done since she arrived. She never got on with a crate so we were really lucky that she wasn't a chewer - maybe the influence of an older dog :? Luckily I have dog friendly retired neighbours and on the occasions when I have been held up I have rung them and they go and play in the garden with the dogs.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

susiegill

Post by susiegill » 18 Sep 2007, 13:07

I unfortunately have to work but it only affects two days of the week. Rosie stays on her own till lunchtime, then mum in law pops down and lets her out etc., then she's on her own again for another 3 hours. She seems fine, although if it runs a little over in the afternoon, she has taken to taking it out on her bed. She stays in the kitchen and NEVER touches a thing just her own bed when she's getting a bit fed up I suppose. If I had to do this more than 2 day out of a week, I would have to make some other arrangement because I think it's long enough personally.

The first thing I do when I get home is take her for a good run with her ball on the field, I must admit I don't like leaving her and was asked if I wanted some more hours at work. I immediately said no as I didn't want to have to leave Rosie for any longer, and the extra I would earn I would have to pay out for a dog sitter so not worth it really.
Susan, Rosie & Molly
http://www.susiedoodles.piczo.com
DON'T TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER!

Suze & Martha

Post by Suze & Martha » 18 Sep 2007, 13:09

Martha took to crate training really well ... my lovely hubs works shifts so the maximum she is on her own is from 8.30 (when Bex) goes to school until 12.30 ish.

Suze & Martha xx

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 18 Sep 2007, 14:49

glenis wrote:Hi

I was just wondering how long do you leave your dog? I have 2 dogs and they are 10months old now, we go to work and come home to check on them at regular intervals. This is not a problem but sometimes I have to attend a meeting during the time I would normally go home. I have successfully managed to put them all off so far but it is getting increasingly harder to do.

Thank you Glen
I have to say, I am rather shocked - who would sell a puppy to people who are out at work all day, especially a labradoodle as they're generally known to be big, bouncy and "needy" for human company?

I thought that someone being home all day was a prerequisite for dog ownership? Or am I hideously out of date?

Bella

Post by Bella » 18 Sep 2007, 14:57

Juliette wrote:
glenis wrote:Hi

Thank you Glen
I have to say, I am rather shocked - who would sell a puppy to people who are out at work all day, especially a labradoodle as they're generally known to be big, bouncy and "needy" for human company?

I thought that someone being home all day was a prerequisite for dog ownership? Or am I hideously out of date?
I don't think it's out of date because it is the ideal scenario but people do need to earn a living. I think we can give Mabel a much better life with the quality of time we will be with her than someone who may be with her 24/7 yet not give her much attention.
We're going to have a puppy/dog walker and my Oh has reasonably flexible working hours.

Wouldn't the same criteria be held to people who have children? Many children are being raised in a house when either their single parent or both parents work full time.

Juliette

Post by Juliette » 18 Sep 2007, 16:12

How can you compare two dogs who are left 'home-alone' while their owners are at work with kids raised by single parents who are at school, with their friends and teachers?

I think the issue here is being left without human company, and if that is the case, I'd say anyone leaving their dog more than 4 hours in any one day isn't giving them what they really need. A dog is a pack animal and it needs its companions around it.

elmleigh

Post by elmleigh » 18 Sep 2007, 16:56

I actually find that Lottie is calmer dog for being left on her own for a few hours a day. She went slightly mental over the summer hols when I was at home with my 3 children 24/7. I work 3 days a week and the maximum she is ever left is 4 hours. She has calmed right down since the summer when I think she was over-stimulated. You can do the same thing to kids...if there are too many people around and never any quiet "down" time they become demanding little brats too.

Bella

Post by Bella » 18 Sep 2007, 16:57

Juliette wrote:How can you compare two dogs who are left 'home-alone' while their owners are at work with kids raised by single parents who are at school, with their friends and teachers?

I think the issue here is being left without human company, and if that is the case, I'd say anyone leaving their dog more than 4 hours in any one day isn't giving them what they really need. A dog is a pack animal and it needs its companions around it.

Actually I was talking about dogs who aren't with their OWNER. I was refering to our time with Mabel, not counting the puppy sitter.

deb Beasor

Post by deb Beasor » 18 Sep 2007, 17:39

Hi

I leave Roxy & Milo for 7hrs per day 3 days a week, I did have a month off work with each of them when we brought them home to settle them into a routine where each day I would leave them for longer to prepare them for when I went back to work. I do hate leaving them though, Roxy has run of the kitchen & conservatory/dining room, she has her chews, toys, tennis ball. She can go in her crate which is left open in the back of the garage which is where Milo is, he has his toys, crate etc & is in a puppy pen where I know he is safe, eventually he will have run of the rooms as per Roxy. I leave the radio on for them, OH takes them out 1st thing then when I come home they have a good walk.
We dont go out in the evenings & weekend wherever we go they go, I cant bear to leave them any longer than I have too.
As for chewing Roxy has occasionally chewed the wall in the garage but hasnt touched anything else.
It is not ideal but I have to work, they seem happy enough we make up for it by caravanning & lovely walks at the back of my house.

Debs