In Scotland and wanting a doodle

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
shonamac

In Scotland and wanting a doodle

Post by shonamac » 11 Apr 2008, 15:48

Hi, I am Shona and I live in the north of Scotland. I having been thinking about getting a doodle for some time but now we have started looking for a breeder. I am looking for a smaller size doodle, any colour, fleece coat. What do people think about young children and doodles? My 3 children are all under 6. I know it will be hard work but at the moment I have the time as I am at home most of the day. I have enjoyed reading the posts here, there is a lot of useful information.
Shona

Fattysplash

Re: In Scotland and wanting a doodle

Post by Fattysplash » 11 Apr 2008, 15:56

Hi Shona! Where do you get the energy from? I have one daughter who is two & a half, a one year old doodle Reuben, and a six month old terrier Jake. I have found Reuben to be very,very gentle with my little girl. The best thing I did, I think, was to put baby gates between all the rooms.That way you can separate them when need be ( time out for pup, or kids) and especially during potty training ( bare bottomed babies & pups are not a good mix!). Mostly I would say, it is common sense, but that's just my personal experience & opinion. Good luck anyway, whatever you choose to do. :mrgreen:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 11 Apr 2008, 16:43

hey Shona, welcome to UKLA, whereabout in the North are you, I'm in Thurso so are you anywhere near??

If you are looking for breeders in the north then try Donna or Marion of Scottish Labradoodles - http://scottish-labradoodles.moonfruit.com/
think they have both had litters recently and they will know of any others around the area

Julie

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

gailg

Post by gailg » 11 Apr 2008, 17:06

Hi Shona, I know if I lived in Scotland I would be heading to Tora Labradoodes although not too sure how far away from you they are.
In my opinion ( dont shout at me everyone) I would not get a doodle with 3 children as young as yours. When we got Charlie who is now 2 years old he has been very bouncy and excitable and he has in the past been too much for my nephew and neice who are 7 years old. My own son is 15 so he was fine.
I think others who have younger kids than me will be able to help you more but I know for instance Charlie has nearly sent the kids flying whilst walking on the stairs etc. whilst they have a fab nature they can be a lot to handle but I suppose you will know yourself about your abilities. I wish you luck and let us know how you get on. :)
Best Wishes,Gail

jennieh

Post by jennieh » 11 Apr 2008, 21:23

Hi Shona & welcome.
I too would vouch for Tora Labradoodles.
My children were 7 & 10 when we got Barney, I would agree with Gailg, I don't think I would have had him while they were younger due to their bouncy nature, (but that's just my opinion).
Where abouts are you in the North East Gail? Are you coming to the next labradoodle meet at Chopwell Woods?

shonamac

Post by shonamac » 11 Apr 2008, 21:32

Its good to read everyones advice. I am in Inverness so not as north as Thurso!
Will take my time looking for the right puppy and hopefully a miniature or medium labradoodle won't knock them over too much. My youngest loves dogs, especially our neighbours big bouncy lab. I suppose I thought that now was a good time because I am at home most of the day anyway and I am used to sleepless nights! We are an active outdoor family and I want to be able to take the dog to the beach, the hills and the woods for walks and get my kids to enjoy the outdoors as much as I do. So really the dog is for me as much as the children.

jennieh

Post by jennieh » 11 Apr 2008, 21:40

Hi Shona,
It sounds a lovely life for a future dood!
I'm sure you will have thought carefully about the pro's & cons. Barney is our first dog, & for me I couldn't have coped with young children & a dood, but that's not to say it's not right for you.
Good luck whatever you decide....we certainly don't regret getting our doodle.
Jennie.

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 11 Apr 2008, 21:41

Hi Shona, we come down to our caravan 3 out of 5 weekends when my hubby is home from the rigs (its at Delnies Wood, outside of Nairn)

If you want to meet up to see a live bouncy doodle in the flesh just let me know

Julie

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

amber

Post by amber » 11 Apr 2008, 21:46

Good luck with what you decide, Shona. And keep us posted. I agree it does sound like a nice life for a dog where you are.
I always recommend would be owners to read up on a few good puppy training books, you cant be too well prepared, and once you are trained in how to train a puppy, then it is not so hard. You sound sensible, so wish you luck. I agree with What Fattysplash says too about gates being very handy :lol:
Amber

groover

Post by groover » 13 Apr 2008, 00:06

hi shona
i would also recommend you speak to Jackie at tora dalriada. we got our puppy from her and i know many others on this site have to.
i went to visit Jackie a couple of weeks ago (to let our puppy play with his mum , dad and sister) and at that time Jackie had a litter of miniature Australian labradoodles. beautiful little black babies. i don't know if there are any left but it would be worth a try.
good luck in your search

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

shonamac

Post by shonamac » 15 Apr 2008, 17:40

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I have contacted some of the breeders in Scotland but no small fleecy girl pups at the moment so I'll just have to wait. Maybe thats a good thing as I can get even more organised!
Shona

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 16 Apr 2008, 16:43

groover wrote:a litter of miniature Australian labradoodles. beautiful little black babies.
I'll second that, one of little girl's in my youngest son's class, her parents have just got a pup from this litter, the Dad brought him down to the School in his coat the other day, he was absolutely adorable (the puppy that is :lol: )! :D :D :D
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Elmo-the-Bear

Post by Elmo-the-Bear » 19 Apr 2008, 22:49

Always worth taking your time but also worth looking out for opportunities - both our doods were unexpected (but very nice) surprises :D

Davvers

Post by Davvers » 20 Apr 2008, 19:40

Hi - we are thinking of breeding from our f2 bitch Summer this year and are in South Cumbria. She is a well loved pet and this will be our first litter. Her dad is Clifford from Caitlin (her mum Gem is also a Caitlin doodle) We're hoping to breed her with a f2 boy with a similar coat to produce f3 doodles.

shonamac

Post by shonamac » 20 Apr 2008, 19:52

Your doodle is Gorgeous! - I love that fleecy coat. I could easily fall for one of her pups.