including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 01 May 2017, 07:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: K9 raw freeze dried?
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 12:51 

Now that we are so happy with Dude having his Luna and Me raw food I have realised that the holiday cottage we've booked for May has no freezer :shock: A friend suggested we might try K9 freeze dried raw food to take on holiday, which needs water added. Sounds like a plan! Anyone on here tried it? Anny

Post subject: Re: K9 raw freeze dried?
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 00:18 

Can't help with freeze dry but how long are you away for? Can you not squeeeeze some fresh mince in between all those bottles of wine and cider that you'll have in the fridge? 8)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 09:34 

Haha :lol: I reckon we might squeeze some mince in the fridge!
We go to Cornwall for a week (a party of 8+Dude) My first thought, on realising the lack of a freezer was Fresh meat, but will that be ok? Not sure if I'd need to add offal? I doubt the other members of our group would fancy being confronted by a fridge full of liver! :roll: Anny

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 10:35 

Hi! we did try stout on a freeze dried raw, but it was expensive so didn't persevere with it. How long do the packs stay frozen for I wonder in the polystyrene boxes? I know natural instinct stay frozen for at least a day (after an order mid up!) so you may be ok for a few days! Is he ok with wet food? We have used that as a back up. You may also find a pet shop nearby that sells raw food so you can stock up.

By the way the Luna and me is a hit with Stout!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 11:03 

Really glad Stout likes the Luna patties :D I guess he's having the turkey?Dude likes them all. I think they would certainly stay frozen for about 24hours in the box. Yes, there's a Pets@home nearby so we can buy fresh. I told Paul about the freeze dried, he took one look at went " There HAS to be a cheaper option!" :lol:
I sent an email to Sammy at Luna and she says she will ring me next week with a plan of action! Watch this space!
Yes, we could go back to wet trays but they were the cause of some v bad tums and we don't want that on holiday :roll:
As far as I can see, this is the only negative of raw feeding...what to do when you go away. Anny

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 17:14 

Yes Stout is having turkey but the dinners rather than the patties (we need to add in his probiotic powder). We always struggle in the caravan if we are away for more than a week, the whole fridge and little freezer end up full of stout food! Hope you get a plan in place!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 01:16 

Don't forget that even supermarket mince needs to be frozen before feeding. It's fine if you freeze it at home and then keep it in the fridge for a day or two.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 09:40 

Sorry Bid, I'm confused, why does fresh meat need to be frozen before feeding? You mean it's not ok to buy fresh supermarket mince to feed straight from the packet? Anny

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 14:02 

I've done some googling during my lunch break and see lots about Neosporosis! So that's why raw beef mince is bad! :shock: :cry: Anny

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 16:54 

I would like to understand more on this too re beef mince
With neosporosis I thought dogs played host as are fox etc