including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 May 2017, 03:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Puppy Eating Problems
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 13:12 

Hi

My 19 week labradoodle has gone from eating his meals to being really picky, changed his food over a month ago and all was well then he started to only eat it (Canagan dry kibble) from the floor or my hand so we bought him a new bowel (switched from metal to ceramic) as thought he could have been spooked. He ate from new bowl a couple of times before refusing it again. We then tried to soak the food as thought it was his teeth and he ate a couple of meals then refused again. We then swopped to a plastic plate still wetting the food and he ate this way a couple of times before stopping again, now he will only eat if we mix other food in with the dry chicken or carrots etc.

He will happily eat treats and carrots etc and doesn't appear to be ill.

Not sure if I should just be tough with him and give him no treats and lift his meals after 15 mins or try a change of food?

Any advice? He is currently weighing 11.7kg and feels a bit on the skinny side.

TIA

Post subject: Re: Puppy Eating Problems
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 16:11 

I posted this on a previous post. Not sure if it will be of any help

Lulu was a terribly fussy eater as a pup. I. also found out I wasn't giving her the right amount of dry food but that another story! I tried her with everything. Against my own wishes I tried raw. She would not eat the mince unless it was cooked. Even chicken wings were not to her taste. I could not even train her with treats. She ate when she felt like it. All of a sudden she changed. She obviously didn't like the dry food because she would eat Sardines on top of the dry food but not the dry food. I then tried her on natures menu. Which she liked. Then she turned into a Labrador and ate anything. I could give her dry food as a treat. I haven't tried giving her dry food as a meal since but I'm sure she would eat it.

It maybe as a pup she enjoyed woodwork and brushes better but that being said she certainly likes her food now

It could be He is just a fussy eater. It could be he has reached his weight for now. If he isn't skinny I wouldn't worry to much. He may also be sensing your worry over the food also. I think there are pictures you can google to see if they are to skinny or not. Lulu looks like a stick insect when she is wet but her weight has remained stagnant between 13 and 14.5 kg.

Xx

ImageImage

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 19:17 

Hi. I've been worried about our 3 month old miniature labradoodle. She is a wonderful puppy. However her eating habits has made me very anxious. Elsa was having Spillers at her breeder. When we bought her home 5 weeks ago she wouldn't eat it. I then changed it to Iams over next week then she went off that. Changed again over the following week tp Eukanoba. Elsa pooing and full of energy. Yesterday she hardly ate anything. I've tried different bowls over last 5 weeks in size and materials, putting warm water in it but she just licks the water, no problem eating treats or trying to eat our cats food. Tried at 5.50am this morning feeding her from a spoon. Had few mouthfuls. Needed to resolve situation as was stressing that Elsa was not eating. Went to Pets at Home this morning. Talked to manager about natural wet food. Bought 2 tins to try. Lunch time gave her 2 teaspoons on top of her Eukanuba kibble and what a result. Elsa stood at her bowl eating every every morsel. I was over the moon, success. I hope she eats her dinner tonight. I will do the same and I've also bought some puppy milk to give her. Fingers crossed! I took it very personally that Elsa was not eating. I hope we have turned the corner. I will update in few days.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 09:08 

I think they all go through this phase - they won't starve themselves, and if you go through the process of adding things to make the dry food tasty, then they will start holding out to see what else you are going to add, and you will end up with a very fussy pup.

Having said that, I think they all prefer the wet food or raw food to dry food. I feed raw food to my dogs, but if I wasn't my next choice would be a good quality wet food.