including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with food change
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 14:11 

We've been feeding Ziva Wainwrights (Pets at home's own brand) large breed puppy food which is for dogs 2-18 moths of age. Now Ziva is 16 moths and we've tried to put her on adult food....same brand. The result was that her poo was very dry and crumbly so we then went back to puppy food and was ok again. We then tried half and half and the poor little girl was sick and it all came back. So, sorry about the lengthy tale but we're not sure what to do next......anyone else had problems with the transition onto adult food ??

Post subject: Re: Problems with food change
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 13:01 

I'm not sure if this will help. The thing with puppy kibble is that it is higher in calories than the adult kibble. When you change to adult you will notice that you will be given quite a lot less food. Can I ask how many meals you are giving Ziva? One idea might be to give the adult kibble as one of her meals? I know people who have done this.
We went from Skinners puppy to Wainwrights puppy to Wainwrights adult ( not a success) to James Welbeloved adult to Canagan adult, to Forthglade wet and finally to raw :roll: This has taken 4years to get right!
I think if I was you I would try a different brand of adult food...trouble is that bags a quite big and there could be waste if she spent like a food. But actually you will know very quickly if something doesn't suit her...Don't stick with something on the off chance she will get used to it!
Good luck, Anny and Dude

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 17:32 

That's very interesting to know that you've also had the problem of changing to adult food. Ziva currently has 2 meals a day but as I said previously, she didn't keep the 3/2 puppy/adult food down for long at all so we've kept her on puppy. We're also putting a tad of wet food with it as well which she likes but we're not sure that she'll be getting all the correct nutrients she needs on this food.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 20:46 

Hi! We had issues with stout and kibbles - it was far worse on adult food. We gave up and swapped to wet food then raw. We eventually discovered he has inflammatory bowel disease. Dry poos aren't necessarily a problem, wet poos are more of an issue. Just a thought, does she eat her food quickly? Also are the ingredients in the puppy and adult food the same?

Good luck with it, choosing food can be a real nightmare!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 00:06 

If you look at the ingredients of Wainwrights large breed puppy and large breed adult, there is actually very little difference - assuming it is the large breed adult food you are feeding, so it's odd that it is having such an effect. Are you weighing the food? Sometimes the size of the kibble is different and it means if you use a measuring cup you can get different amounts in the same level. FEeding more than the yare used to can cause tummy upsets