Skin allergies and sickness

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
RichardR

Skin allergies and sickness

Post by RichardR » 20 Nov 2013, 22:15

Hi,

We have a 10 month old (cream) Labradoodle who is now suffering from skin allergies (general skin redness, bad ears and bad feet) and sickness having previously suffered from a bout of sickness at 6 months.

Her allergy became so bad that her eye lids started to swell which was initially relived with Piriton she has then gone on to develop sickness again.

When she was sick at 6 months and nothing showed up in blood tests and x-rays the vet suggested putting her on Royal Canin (Medium Junior) but were starting to suspect this may be causing her allergies?

Once again nothing has been found in the bloods and x-rays so we are now offering small amounts of cooked chicken whilst she is recovering!

We are not sure what to do next?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Richard & Carie.

Pollydoodle

Re: Skin allergies and sickness

Post by Pollydoodle » 20 Nov 2013, 22:38

Hi Richard and Carrie, sorry to read about your poorly doodle.
Fair few doods on here that have managed diets due to allergy etc,so you should get some good advice. Were the blood tests also to see what she was allergic to eg is it chicken or grains or ?

If it was me, I would stick to the plain chicken and maybe some potato for a few days (think sweet potato is bit better but can't recall why :oops: ). If no sign of any improvement I would replace chicken with another meat or fish. Seems some dogs react to chicken these days too but reacting to grains is rather common.

As for Hill's or Royal Canin special Diet : Vet's love it as it costs a fortune and they often sell it at the practice.Hill's is rubbish in my opinion.Google it and check out the ingredients. Think someone mentioned just recently that vet education on nutrition is sponsored by ...yip you guessed it ...Hill's :roll:

Some folks with more experience will no doubt comment soon.
Hope she improves soon.

PS: Here are the ingredients for Royal Canin Med Jnr off their website
Ingredients
COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry protein, animal fats, maize, dehydrated pork protein*, wheat, beet pulp, wheat flour, rice, maize flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable protein isolate*, maize gluten, fish oil, yeasts, soya oil, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 11800 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 46 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.6 mg, E4 (Copper): 8 mg, E5 (Manganese): 60 mg, E6 (Zinc): 199 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.08 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 32% - Fat content: 20% - Crude ash: 6.4% - Crude fibres: 1.7% - Per kg: Calcium: 11.5 g - Phosphorus: 9.1 g - Manno-oligo-saccharides: 0.5 g - Fructo-oligo-saccharides: 3.4 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Nov 2013, 22:51

More and more cream doodles seem to be turning up with allergies :( . My cream girl is allergic to chicken and grain - they give her a bad ear ( at least that is what we think - it's hard to prove!). Unfortunately food allergies are so hard to sort out - the allergy tests aren't really effective. The vets usually end up recommending an exclusion diet where you feed a protein that they haven't had before, or a hydrolysed food where the protein has been treated so it isn't recognised by the body. They are hard to do as you have to make sure they have nothing else to eat at all. I feed raw food so can control exactly what Daisy has. She ate nothing but rabbit for over 2 months, and then we slowly reintroduced other meats.

Is the vet certain that it is a food allergy and not an environmental allergy?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 20 Nov 2013, 23:24

Kip had "mucky" ears as a pup, he was fed royal canin until he was five months old. I changed to a grain free kibble and his ears improved. When he started eating raw food (on 50/50 raw and kibble) diet, his ears became clean. This could have been because he'd grown out of it, but it definitely co-insided with the raw food introduction. If I fed only kibble I would only ever feed a grain free kibble (purely my own choice). I wish I'd been a bit more knowledgeable about dog food when I first got him, but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? :)

I hope you find some answers to your dog's problems :)

RichardR

Post by RichardR » 21 Nov 2013, 15:59

Thanks for the reply's.

We have managed to stop her sickness and have now started feeding her on cooked chicken only.

Provided she is not allergic to chicken (always a possibility) then we will slowly introduce a chicken based food that is wheat and diary free!

Regards

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 21 Nov 2013, 19:53

I'm pleased she has stopped being sick. When you return to a complete can I suggest you try a potato based one rather than rice based at first. Quite a few dogs, one of mine included, have become allergic to or intolerant to rice in complete foods but are ok with potato. Mine have Fishmongers Fish and Potato now, but there are other brands. Hope you managed to get her problems fully sorted.
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Clair&Bob

Post by Clair&Bob » 22 Nov 2013, 19:54

Please be careful with chicken! It seems that a lot of cream doods (including my own) are allergic to it. The raw supplier I gets Bob's food from even asked if he was cream when I started to order from them!

It took months of tests and very expensive Hill's exclusion diets to prove it was chicken.

Since I've avoided chicken and eggs he is fine. He's ok with turkey though (I was worried it was going to be all poultry). Might be worth changing the chicken for turkey.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new (I hope it's not the case for you!) as nearly all kibble has chicken or meat derivatives (could be chicken?) in them. Even meaty treats show meat derivatives on their labelling which could be chicken.

Bob is now fed on any other raw food and only fish skin treats and occasionally hide chews.

All I can say is, I thought I was doing well by him by feeding chicken and scrambled eggs (which of course he loved!). The reality was, the food was causing his problems.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Clair xx
Clair & Bob

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 23 Nov 2013, 17:34

Florrie has allergies and is also cream. After months of her being incredibly poorly, daily vomiting and diarrhoea and malabsorbing her food, she is now fed an exclusive diet. She's on a vet diet but only because it's the only thing we've fed her (we've tried pretty much everything even raw) that doesn't affect her. Since she's been on it, she's put weight on (a bit too much at the moment!), her coat improved, she's not vomited or had diarrhoea since and she's much happier in herself. Her other health conditions have also improved a little. Her food is fish and potato as well, as others have suggested.

I hope you manage to get it sorted.
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie