How much food?

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
grrrlfriday

How much food?

Post by grrrlfriday » 14 Jan 2014, 21:58

We had a bit of a bumpy start with Apple's feeding regime (diarrhoea :oops:) but we are now on track and all is well.

We do think she may not be getting enough sustenance from the quantity of food we are giving her.

We take her on walks and she has her usual mad half hour so is certainly burning calories but she's a bit thin and doesn't seem to have any puppy fat on her at all.

She's now around 15 weeks old and growing fast. We are feeding her 30grams of Eukanuba puppy lamb and rice for all breeds 3-times a day.

Are we doing ok or should we increase the quantity of her food a little? Any suggestions would be gratefully received :o

Bid

Re: How much food?

Post by Bid » 14 Jan 2014, 22:05

The guidelines on the bag are just guidelines - if you think she is underweight try giving her a little more - if she starts to get loose stools again then she is probably having too much. Puppy fat is a bit of a myth tbh - a slim puppy will be a slim adult, and all the better for it! You want to be able to feel the ribs easily. If you are still worried, then pop her in to see a vet nurse - most will check out weight without needing an appointment with the vet. :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

grrrlfriday

Post by grrrlfriday » 14 Jan 2014, 22:19

Thanks bid.

We are going off a measuring cup marked up by the breeder. Apple gets the odd biscuit here and there as training treats so I'm sure we're aren't starving her :shock:

As you say, better to have a on-target weight dog than one with a weight problem and we certainly don't want her back to having a runny bottom again. That almost broke us when we were in the throws of new puppy tiredness :?

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Jan 2014, 22:36

I would still try and judge for yourself by her weight & feel (& output!), because they all grow at different rates, and have spurts, so the breeder can't possibly know what is right for each pup at different times. If you look at the guidelines on the bag, they tend to go by the expected adult weight. You've probably gathered by now that this is practically impossible to predict with a labradoodle - even within a litter they can vary hugely, so trial and error is more or less the only way to go!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 25 Jan 2014, 11:25

Hi
At that age Auz was on 4 meals a day, until he was 4 months. Then 3 until 6 months, now he's on 2 a day.
He's never been a good eater really but he is spot on, I tended to bulk his food up with bits of chicken or rice as it made it 'exciting' :roll: :lol:
So, in reality, I have been giving him more than the bag recommends but it's worked.
He also has treats daily and puppy milk now and then.
He's been to the vets a few times for check ups and various and he's been weighed each time and he's fine.

I would say just go by your instinct. And as bid said book a check up with a vet nurse? Auz has had 2 of those so far, they just check the overall health and weight etc they will be able to give you a good indication.

J xx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 10 Mar 2014, 02:23

Mine was on eukanaba, but we used the measuring jug, but we weighed out for puppy large bread, that is what we were told ..we have changed it now as it dosen't have good reviews say its full of maize and corn.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 10 Mar 2014, 08:37

I went by the packet and because my adding up was wrong, I miscalculated and underfed her. PLEASE dont think I am saying you are doing that :lol: :lol: :lol: It is just that I got someone else to work it out and they worked out more.

You cannot judge the size of a labradoodle so when they say the size of the dog, how can you go by those calculations. I had Pets at Home trying to work it out, I got in touch with Pedigree (which she stopped being on quite early) and then the vet who said she was fine. There are big labradors and small labradors and I think Lulu as a small labrador size (am not sure if they have names, some are fattish and some are leanish)

To cut a long story short, she wasn't eating kibble, she didn't eat raw and I put her on another food (natures menu) and she is fine but I did ask the people on here what they were feeding her on and their guideline. Even when I was underfeeding her (supposedly) the vet said she was fine, so they would know if she was too thin or malnourished.

I also looked after a standard poodle and he ate less than my small affenpinshcher!!!!

Go with your instinct but the last thing you want is a too fat dog!!!!

Good luck :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

swardie

Post by swardie » 10 Mar 2014, 09:05

Some really good advice on here. If it helps, Dexter is a medium Dood , coming up 4 months, and gets 230g of Royal Canin medium junior over 3 meals. He's always been on RC, and loves it, and it seems to agree with him. We also supplement this with bits of carrot and apples as training treats. He is growing at a rate fast, and always feels quite skinny, but we get him weighed every 2 weeks, and he generally puts on a kilo each time, which the vet is happy with. It's a real concern when they're wee, tho'!! Good luck from Dexter and Mum. Xx

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 25 Apr 2014, 00:15

When we got our puppy Willow, the breeder told us to feed her Eukanuba, for large breeds, but we have since change as its full of maize and corn, and gave her smelly poo's and wind...we have her on gluton free food now (Lamb.Rabbit and Duck) She is 6 months now and gets 290g and split it into 3 meals.

stevied

Post by stevied » 30 Apr 2014, 07:54

30 grammes a day? Barking heads recommend 330 grammes a day for a large breed puppy of 17 weeks. I give mine a bit less, say 90 grammes a feed as with any more she gets loose stools.