Right!! I'm going to do raw

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
AustinsMumma

Right!! I'm going to do raw

Post by AustinsMumma » 26 Jan 2014, 22:38

But I'm a simpleton
:lol:

Bones? Yes?
Age? 8 mths, yes?
Best things to start on? hmmm?
Will the vet tell me off? Is it 'acceptable'?

Auz is so bored with his food, I think he needs something more natural and tasty
?

J x
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ben

Re: Right!! I'm going to do raw

Post by Ben » 26 Jan 2014, 22:51

Exciting.

My recommendations are....nurturingbynature, natural instinct and pawspantry.

I would start off with chicken wings from the supermarket, then work upto butchers bones.

Always supervise when eating bones and never feed cooked.

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 26 Jan 2014, 22:57

Do dogs thrive on this diet though?
I can't see definitive evidence either way?

And chicken bones? Don't they splinter?
Or is that just when they are cooked?

Gosh, it's all very complicated

:?

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 26 Jan 2014, 23:13

Just saying - I decided to feed Lulu raw as she didn't eat well - ordered a starter pack, got chicken wings.....................

Ended up giving chicken wings away and cooking the food in the microwave as she didn't eat raw...........

Not even the marrow bones

Weird or not.....................

She is fed Natures Diet now and seems to like it thank goodness.

By the way on Thursday there is a programme on at 9pm regarding food that goes into your dog food.
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 26 Jan 2014, 23:15

I'm thinking of starting off with some chicken and raw veg mixed in? Is this right?
Then introduce something with small bones, like wings??

Are there any vitamin powders etc I should add or is this not necessary?

J x

minkersmum

Post by minkersmum » 26 Jan 2014, 23:18

I have experimented with raw too. I also found Jack wasn't overly keen on the raw. When it comes to chicken he definitely prefers his cooked!

He does like a big bone, likes to nurse the marrow out, but honestly when I first gave him a chicken wing I thought he would LOVE it but he just licked it gingerly :lol:

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 26 Jan 2014, 23:43

Doodle Dee wrote: Ended up giving chicken wings away
And Fozzie and Florence will love you forever Dee :lol: :lol:

I started with Nurturing by Nature - they are very helpful on the phone and will help you through the first few weeks when it's really scary. They are a bit pricey though.

We now feed a mixture of stuff from the butchers (chicken carcasses are really cheap from our butcher), from our local raw meat supplier and the supermarket. You don't need veg or fruit but our two love an apple - it's a real treat for them. When my great nephews come round I have to be really careful when they ask for an apple as they will be stared at by the pooches until they give it up :oops: :oops:

We started Fozzie on raw as he really didn't like kibble. I suspect if we tried him on kibble now he would eat it happily but they both enjoy their food and look to be in good condition. They are at an ideal weight for their size which is a miracle in my house as we are all (cats included) on the larger than expected side of "ideal" :shock:

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 27 Jan 2014, 00:03

Jo,
There is a really good post in the nutrition section on the topics list that explains raw feeding in detail. Let us know how u get on!
Ellie & Bronte xxx
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 27 Jan 2014, 00:06

Sorry, I can't find it??? :?

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 27 Jan 2014, 00:10

Scroll down to the bottom of the food and nutrition section and it's called: so u want to feed raw? (I think) There's also one about feeding puppies raw.
E x
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 27 Jan 2014, 00:13

No, sorry
I think Im confused
I'm in feeding and nutrition and can't see it :|

edit: I searched for it and found it! (keeping a separate page open so I dont lose it)!

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 27 Jan 2014, 00:17

I've just commented on it so now it should be on the recent posts if u refresh ur page xx
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Jan 2014, 00:26

These are the threads ...

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... 30&t=29578

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... 30&t=29579

There are different ways of feeding raw. There are the pre-prepared complete meals such as those sold by Nutriment ... http://www.nutriment.co/dog-food/, or there is the DIY approach, where you buy minces and add bits and bobs to make a complete diet - this is what Nurturing by Nature help with. A lot of people will start with the complete raw food, and then work around to making their own combinations.

Yes - they can get all they need from a raw diet, and you can also make sure they don't have all the things they don't need that is added to dry food!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 27 Jan 2014, 08:13

Hi Jo

We took the plunge of New Years Day!

We started with Nurturing my Nature, I agree with the pricey! But I think that's because bone wasn't introduced in their plan until week 3. I will be swapping when stocks have run down. They said about gradually introducing it over a few days, but tbh on the first day when we got the kibble meal, she was loving the mince so much we just went the whole hog. Starting with chicken as it's the gentlest on the tummy then after a week introducing other things one at a time. We didn't exactly follow those rules..we got over excited.

Bones still scare me, I've noticed that when Gracie has a chicken carcass for tea there is less poo...don't know why! Stood for an hour and a quarter until gone midnight last night trying to get her to 'go poo' so I'm not woken at death o clock. She really didn't need it and lasted until 7am :| .

Austin will love you for it. I had my brother tell me this weekend that all they need is a cheap basic biscuit because meat is too rich and they need the fibre the same way we do ( has two working dogs, I want to go sneak them in a RMB! Poor babies :lol: ). My grandad then told me I was playing with fire re the chicken and salmonella/splintering bones. Told me to go back to him in a year for an 'I told you so'. I haven't broached the vet, but in the end it's my dog and I don't need anyone's permission. But with the family I haven't bothered arguing, I know she looks good and isn't crazy and hyper active....we'll not all the time :lol: :lol:

Be brave, the support on here is amazing! Bid has put in one post about detox. I don't think it is mentioned enough. Gracie still gets quite a bit of eye bogies after sleeping/chewing and was super itchy for a while. I have noticed she tends to regurgitate now if she has eaten too quickly, which she didn't do on kibble, but she eats it again :? and seems fine after. Just wish she wouldn't do it on my shag pile rug :x

Becky xxx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 27 Jan 2014, 10:11

Thanks very much all! I have read and re-read that topic numerous times, and have some good ideas
It sounds very exciting, and I'm sure Auz will love it as he is very bored eating the same junky kibble day after day after......

He had a raw egg for breakfast and loved it! :o
Going to the next town this afternoon so will have a peek in the butchers and see what necks etc they do

Do you think calcium powder is needed or not? Will wings now and then be enough?

J x