Right!! I'm going to do raw

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
sallysutton

Re: Right!! I'm going to do raw

Post by sallysutton » 27 Jan 2014, 10:24

Hi, I'm so glad you brought this subject up, as I took the plunge this weekend to change to raw too. I'm very confused by it all as well, so decided to buy a frozen complete food and went with the one my local pet shop stocks - Natures Menu. Stanley really liked it. I'd like to change to Nutriment as I'm very impressed with their website and the food looks very good. Does anyone else feed their dogs on Nutriment? Also, those of you who feed your dogs raw food, what do you give them for treats when out walking and training?

Gill & Stanley
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Jan 2014, 12:16

Mine have fish4dogs treats, or dried meat treats when we go out. Zoo plus sell a lot of dried meat treats, but I have a dehydrator so I dry my own. For training I use cooked liver which I blast in the microwave and cut up when cool.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

My2Girls

Post by My2Girls » 27 Jan 2014, 12:22

My two have been on raw for about 3 months now and they love it! I started on the mince packs which has everything in and didn't progress to chicken wings until month 2. Now they have these twice a week and a trachea as a treat (plus a raw egg each once a week). The shop I go to sells whole rabbits but I've not brought myself to buy that yet as I don't fancy seeing the both of them tearing it apart it the garden! They already get excited when they see the cats! :(

There's a programme on this Thursday Channel 5 at 9pm "The Truth about your dog's food"
Clare, Sally & Lucy

sallysutton

Post by sallysutton » 27 Jan 2014, 15:01

Thanks for replies and ideas for treats. I have ordered some complete food from Nutriment this morning. I don't think I'd have the stomach to buy a whole rabbit! Lamb bones are about my limit at the moment! I shall watch the programme about dog food, sounds interesting.

Gill
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 27 Jan 2014, 21:04

Gosh! Austin loved his raw mince tonight! :shock: His dinner lasted about 30 seconds (no exaggeration)!
He had a little bit of kibble mixed in, as I am weaning him off the devil :| :lol:

I added some calcium and fish oil and he just wolfed it all down
Tomorrow morning I will do more mince, evening I will try raw chicken

Can't wait until he moves onto wings and bones etc :o
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 27 Jan 2014, 21:18

Hi, I have just bought Poppy a freezer as she will start raw at the weekend, when I can get to the shop. We did raw a while ago and she still has the odd chicken piece and loves them, it was just far to much for me to do it all from scratch. The shop I will use is across the water from me so I want to buy a load and freeze it, if they have any rabbits left I will try her with one as she coped with the chicken really well.
Just one thing I was led to believe that they shouldn't have raw and kibble together or within several hours of each other as they digest them differently, hopefully some one who knows much more than I will enlighten me on this one. I have had to wait to sort out where to keep raw and am glad to have finally got myself sorted as she's much happier with raw however the first time I gave her an egg was so funny she didn't have a clue what it was for but once cracked it didn't last long. :D
ImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 27 Jan 2014, 23:24

My two have been raw fed for several years now - I love the fact that their poos are solid & don't smell! :)
http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/
I use Manifold Valley meats - they are good & deliver

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 27 Jan 2014, 23:40

i was also told that they shouldnt have raw and kibble in the same meal. its to do with how quickly they travel through the dogs system. the kibble is slower and can hold up the passage of the raw, which can leave them more vulnerable to picking up bacteria from the raw which would have usually passed?

Tbh, Gracie didnt care about the kibble after her 2nd meal of raw! :lol:

Glad he loved it! Gracie already knows what the delivery packaging is! :shock:

Becky xx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 28 Jan 2014, 09:54

No kibble for Auz any more
He had mince again early on this morning and loved it once more! :o
Chicken & spinach tonight I think, am also going to buy some dread offal later :? My least favourite thing about this process :lol:

Also, unrelated, just though I'd mention his behaviour is improving lately! :D (haha, not food related yet, too soon)
We've hardly had to put him in a 'time out' the past few days. We think this is mainly ball related, as he constantly wanted you to throw it in like an ocd way each night!! And if you didn't, he got frustrated.
Now ball is put away after last walk approx 5/6pm and that's it for the night. He tends to snooze or chew a bone calmly now! Result !!! :mrgreen:
He really is becoming a marvellous little friend. Thanks for all the advice I had at the time! You all told me I would look back and laugh at how stressed I was one day :wink:

Onward and upward for Austin Doodle, number 1 super dog!!!!...

J xxx

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 28 Jan 2014, 17:23

I also feed raw. I wasn't sure whether to give veg or not so I feed him Nutriment. It's got everything done for me, all the veg and extras he needs so all I have to do is defrost it!

I ordered a starter pack to make sure he liked it, he loves it and so do I as it's cheaper than the kibble I was feeding and is delivered to my door.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 28 Jan 2014, 19:15

Auz is having kidney and spinach tonight
Yum :shock: :?

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 28 Jan 2014, 20:48

Gosh!! The kidney spinach and green beans went down a treat!
I cannot believe how well he is eating! :shock:
For the first time in ever he is licking the bowl out of it's holder!! :lol:

So glad he is so happy and enjoying his food

J xx

wobble.gob

Post by wobble.gob » 29 Jan 2014, 09:48

AustinsMumma wrote:Gosh!! The kidney spinach and green beans went down a treat!
I cannot believe how well he is eating! :shock:
For the first time in ever he is licking the bowl out of it's holder!! :lol:

So glad he is so happy and enjoying his food

J xx
My Ozzy is 8 months old, and I can tell he is getting bored of his meals (he is currently on Naturesdiet). From reading yourposts and notic ing Austin is around the same age, it really has made me tempted to feed Ozzy a raw diet.

Where do you get Austins food from? I am swaying towards Nutriment as it has everything in it (meat, bones and veg).

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 29 Jan 2014, 10:47

wobble.gob wrote: My Ozzy is 8 months old, and I can tell he is getting bored of his meals (he is currently on Naturesdiet). From reading yourposts and notic ing Austin is around the same age, it really has made me tempted to feed Ozzy a raw diet.

Where do you get Austins food from? I am swaying towards Nutriment as it has everything in it (meat, bones and veg).
The supermarket :lol:
So far he's only had raw egg, raw beef mince, chicken and kidney
He has about 2 handfuls per meal with veg thrown in now and then
Also vit e, calcium (as he's not on bones yet) and fish oils (but not every meal)

I am going to get a few natures menu bits and bobs (such as treats) too for healthy variety
I don't really want to go down the packaged pre-made route though

I can imagine eating the same stuff every single meal twice every single day can get a bit dull. God knows Austin never used to eat some days!
I don't have to wash his bowl now lol! He nibbles it clean :mrgreen:

Going to work up to heart and chicken wings next week. Can't wait!!

J x

frosty

Post by frosty » 29 Jan 2014, 11:10

Hiya....long time no post!!! :oops:

Please dont hammer the calcium supps :shock: ....You ONLY need those if youve not fed kibble for a while AND only meats and offal with No bone in for a long time. Dried food and foods like Naturediet have ample calcium in anyway so if you mix and match then NO need to add any calcium supps.

A raw egg with shell, a tin of sardines or mackerel with the bones in is all you need. I just get worried when I see people adding calcium , especially to young growing dogs as too much will cause joint issues, seriously!

1x meal with of bones such as chicken wings (or minced chicken frames with the bone) and then 1x boneless meal (beef or lamb or whatever) provides more than enough calcium. Supplements have high amounts in so please be careful.

Over and out :wink:
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."