Trays of puppy food.

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
stevied

Trays of puppy food.

Post by stevied » 30 Apr 2014, 08:16

How many trays should I feed my 17 week old, Lucca? I read on Wainrights that she should have between 3.5 and 5.5 per day! This can't be right. That would cost nearly as much as I spend on my own food! Natures diet said 3 trays per day or am I reading it wrong? At the moment she is on Barking heads puppy of which she has about 300 grammes per day which she seems happy on plus treats. When I got her she was on Chappie which she loved and her stools were perfect ,while on Barking heads they are a bit wet which I know is a classic sign of overfeeding. I would like to get her off the Barking heads and onto a mix of trays and kibbles but how much to feed and which brand. i know all about buying the best you can afford. My neighbor has a 4 year old doodle which he feeds on supermarket own brand and he is as fit as a fiddle and a really laid back beautiful looking dog.
How the hell should I know how big she is going to be? What a silly way to display recommended amounts. Barking Heads have started to do this now. A 12kg bag of Barking heads should last 40 days with the amount she has (12000 / 300 = 40) but it seems to last only half that time. Why??? I can't really afford to spend that amount on my fixed income, and would like something good but cheaper. I don't want to do raw as I don't have the time and my wife is a bit iffy about giving her raw chicken. Sorry to ramble on.

Helen & Rigby

Re: Trays of puppy food.

Post by Helen & Rigby » 30 Apr 2014, 08:49

I'm not sure if this will help at all if you have a big doodle, but rig is a mini and weighs 10.6 kg at 10 and a bit months. He is on natures diet and has a pack a day with a bit of extra cooked meat added. According to their guide he should be on nearly twice that. There is no way he could manage all that and being as he is perfect weight wise that would make him too fat! I think the packets hugely over estimate.

I'm sure you will get more advice :D
ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 30 Apr 2014, 10:36

Manufacturers see to over estimate the food requirements
This amount does seem excessive .I have a 30 kg standard and a 18 kg mini doodle and they have just 2 trays BETWEEN them per day! ( note this is adult food for adult dogs)
The do have a chew stick in the morning and a carrot at lunch time but they would be obese if I fed them the 'recommended' amount
In saying that a puppy does need sufficient and good food for growth and you need to weigh them regularly to monitor growth and judge your food levels from their physique and weight and general health. Natures diet puppy food is a good food and I wouldn't hesitate to use it myself but I would reduce the amount and watch growth and well being ( poo consistency etc).
Chappie is a good easily digestible food but not suitable for puppies. It is an adult dog food.
Is lucca a standard or mini doodle? And how often are you feeding her at the moment? What food treats do you give and how often?
ImageImage
ImageImage

stevied

Post by stevied » 30 Apr 2014, 11:55

Thanks for the replies. She is a standard from a small standard mum and a mini dad. Her Mum is tall and slender and my vet thinks Lucca will be the same. She does get treats but mostly kibble with a few tasty ones thrown in. The vet thinks she is looking fine and she seems healthy enough. Those amounts sound much better. I wish they would recommend it by weight and not some figure which it is impossible to predict. I think 300 grams might be too much for my puppy as on barking heads her poo is wettish and and smelly. From what I have read it should be the opposite. I have just checked and due to my worn out brain I only bought 6 kg bags of barking heads and not the 12 I thought so not all that expensive and she should have the best while she is a puppy or so my vet says.If there is a good alternative to `BH I would love to hear about it. I have ordered some natures diet on line for a very good price and I can also get BH puppy for £40 or so if I buy two bags and no delivery charge. I am very new to all this and still learning by the day. Thanks for the patience.

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Apr 2014, 15:59

Raw food is a good alternative! :wink:

Puppies do need more food than adults don't forget. Just as an example, when feeding raw food, an adult will get between 2 and 3% of their weight a day, but a puppy will have up to 10% of his weight a day. Quite a difference :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 30 Apr 2014, 16:33

I Feed ally nature diet and she gets 2 trays a day she's a year old and a standard :D

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 30 Apr 2014, 18:53

Stevied
Little lucca may grow up like my young jazz. Jazz had a small lab mum and a mini poodle dad and she is 17-18 inches tall. This is classed in doodle-world as a medium sized doodle ( some are really small and are true mini and some grow like donkeys and are clear standards) pixie is a standard at 25 " to the shoulder and 30 kgs so is a big girl.
Lucca sounds just perfect and you will soon Suss out the food and thoroughly enjoy her puppy hood.
Have fun
ImageImage
ImageImage