Cooked/raw query

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
stout

Cooked/raw query

Post by stout » 03 May 2014, 21:44

We have been trying to reintroduce stout to meat. We are currently trying turkey, he had raw turkey mince for 8 days (mixed with his vet food, gradually changing the quantities). On Thursday night he had a really noisy belly and seemed uncomfortable but wasn't sick. We gave him some of his medicine which suppresses stomach acid, so didn't give him raw for a day, as we were concerned about how he would digest it.

A raw food company told us that raw fed dogs have more stomach acid, we are now thinking if that is the case maybe that could be some of stouts problem. Does anyone know if this is the case, she seemed quite 'militant' about the raw diet! We cooked some doggy turkey mince today which he had for lunch and tea with two thirds vet food, he seems fine, and not gurgling. Does anyone know if cooking his meat would have any negative effects (harder to digest etc). We would really like to get him onto food that we know exactly what he is eating.

Thanks as always!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Bid

Re: Cooked/raw query

Post by Bid » 03 May 2014, 22:51

The information I have is all about comparing the dogs ability to digest raw meat as opposed to kibble, but some of the points may apply to cooked versus raw :|

The bacteria in the dogs gut changes when they are fed protein without carbohydrates.

Food that is high in meat protein stays longer in the stomach where the acids are, and so it is more likely to destroy things like salmonella.

Raw meat contains enzymes that help the meat to self-digest - these enzymes are destroyed by heating.

This is an interesting one for Stout (and Florrie) ... Pets taking antacids can loose their primary defense against food borne pathogens – their stomach’s acidity. That came from this study... http://www.2ndchance.info/rawdiet-Lennard-Jones1968.pdf
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 04 May 2014, 08:12

When I had a Doberman with very sensitive tummy I fed him original tinned chappie which really settled him down and he found it easily digestible and poops improved etc. his skin fur and eyes looked fantastic. I still keep tins in just in case my two get an off tummy but it must be the original fish based tinned version not chicken or tripe
Hope this gives you another option to try assuming stout us ok with fish
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 May 2014, 09:42

It's the maize & wheat in Chappie Original that allergic dogs have to watch out for - depending on what they react to of course :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 04 May 2014, 10:22

Wonder if it would be better to feed raw on its own and not mix with kibble ie. feed kibble at separate meal time? Maybe its a bit confusing for his system to cope with both at once. I don't know much about this but I read that it wasn't good to mix the two.

:)

stout

Post by stout » 04 May 2014, 14:13

Bid wrote:The information I have is all about comparing the dogs ability to digest raw meat as opposed to kibble, but some of the points may apply to cooked versus raw :|

The bacteria in the dogs gut changes when they are fed protein without carbohydrates.

Food that is high in meat protein stays longer in the stomach where the acids are, and so it is more likely to destroy things like salmonella.

Raw meat contains enzymes that help the meat to self-digest - these enzymes are destroyed by heating.

This is an interesting one for Stout (and Florrie) ... Pets taking antacids can loose their primary defense against food borne pathogens – their stomach’s acidity. That came from this study... http://www.2ndchance.info/rawdiet-Lennard-Jones1968.pdf
Thanks Bid. Stout only has antacids when he has a flare up. That's why we cooked the turkey after he had a couple of doses last week, he had been having raw turkey up to that point. The only regular meds he is taking is pro biotics. The only carbohydrates come from the kibble, we are hoping to try him on butternut squash then maybe sweet potato the following week
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

stout

Post by stout » 04 May 2014, 14:16

pixie's mum wrote:When I had a Doberman with very sensitive tummy I fed him original tinned chappie which really settled him down and he found it easily digestible and poops improved etc. his skin fur and eyes looked fantastic. I still keep tins in just in case my two get an off tummy but it must be the original fish based tinned version not chicken or tripe
Hope this gives you another option to try assuming stout us ok with fish
Stout wont eat chappie! That and cucumber are the only two things he has sniffed and then walked away from. We tried him on it when he was a pup, but he was having none of it!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

stout

Post by stout » 04 May 2014, 14:21

DiSet wrote:Wonder if it would be better to feed raw on its own and not mix with kibble ie. feed kibble at separate meal time? Maybe its a bit confusing for his system to cope with both at once. I don't know much about this but I read that it wasn't good to mix the two.

:)
That's one of the things I was wondering, problem is he was so poorly and seems to have a very sensitive tum, we wanted to swap him over slowly to try to avoid a flare up. So maybe cooked and kibble is less confusing for their bellies. Hopefully by the end of the week he will be on all turkey. It's such a head scratcher. It would be so much easier if he could tell us how his belly is feeling
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 May 2014, 18:02

I was with DiSet on this one, had thought that you weren't supposed to feed raw and kibble at the same meal as they had differing 'transit' times and the kibble kept the raw in their gut for too long? From what I've read of the link (and you will realise it was only the first page... :oops: ) it seems to say that raw stays in their stomachs longer... Does it stay in their stomach longer, but then pass through their guts quicker, or have I missed something? I have Ianto on one raw, one kibble meal per day.
Hope you're feeling brighter soon, Stout -
Anne & Ianto x

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 05 May 2014, 11:27

As an alternative to the Chappie, we have just bought some Arden Grange Partners sensitive for Tia to supplement her kibble. We've been told by a doggie dietician that a bit of this might make her feel more full as she is just never satisfied with her food.

It has fish and potato, peas and carrots and is cereal and grain free, with some added joint support, so may be an option. Tia loves it, although to be honest, I will probably just give her the fish and spuds once this batch runs out!
ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 05 May 2014, 21:37

So, we have been giving him cooked turkey mince and kibble, so far so good. He is up to 50/50 today, 75/25 tomorrow, then no kibble on weds :shock: . Not going to give him raw turkey for a bit (assuming no problems on Thursday! ). Then we can start the vegetable Russian roulette :?
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics: