What do you feed?

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Bid

What do you feed?

Post by Bid » 02 Jul 2014, 00:04

Just thought it would be interesting ... three questions ... What do you feed your dood? What made you choose it? and What makes you pleased with it?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

scooby Dood

Re: What do you feed?

Post by scooby Dood » 02 Jul 2014, 06:31

We feed Scooby Beta large puppy food for breakfast with the occasional yoghurt or fruit on top. She was fed on this by the breeder and likes it so we have stuck with it. For evening meal she has vegetables with either beef, turkey or chicken, pasta ,rice or potato. This seems to be her favourite meal of the day!
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

swardie

Post by swardie » 02 Jul 2014, 06:48

Dex is on Royal Canin medium junior. He's been on this since he was weaned. He's grown well on it, and has never had runny poos. He also gets carrot batons for treats, and sometimes a little milk bone biscuit.

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 02 Jul 2014, 07:11

Bella is on Natures Diet because she actually eats it - every meal! I chose it because I believe in a raw diet - but Bella didn't really like the minces - so this works well, as it's all prepared. She is such a fussy eater, so it's lovely to find something she enjoys!
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 02 Jul 2014, 07:36

I feed Rudy a raw diet - a variety of minces from nurturing by nature. He also gets some carrot and bits of cheese as a treat.
I chose it because i read so many good things about a raw diet and he used to get a lot of ear and yeast infections which raw supposedly helped with.
I am very pleased with it as Rudy gobbles it all up! His ears cleared up and his overall health is great :D
ImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 02 Jul 2014, 07:56

Sam is fed James wellbelloved kibble twice daily, 75% of the time. I change the variety every now and again.
Other times he gets our Sunday roast dinner left overs (without bones), :oops: whatever my mum feeds him once a week (usually cooked fish or meat with a wee bit of veg and potato) and he gets some raw bones from our butcher who gives me a big bag for free when we do our monthly shop.
If I had more time (or even freezer space!) I'd contemplate raw but I don't feel guilty feeding him as we do.
He gets a spoon of coconut oil in his breakfast when I remember and I make him liver cake for high value recall treats as well stuffing some in his frozen kong with a wee bit of porridge and peanut butter- he gets this when I'm popping out for a bit.
I choose the kibble as it was first one I tried and he seems to like it, the rest of his diet is partly because I don't like waste and also he enjoys it and keeps his meals varied, he loves a bone to chew on now and again, and the frozen kong has him leaping into bed with a wagging tail and no anxiety issues with me leaving.
So all in, happy dog = happy me!.
Last edited by Samdunn on 02 Jul 2014, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 02 Jul 2014, 08:10

After a very rocky first few months, resulting in a diagnosis of colitis from the vets, we put him on Burns kibble and JWB sachets which he has twice a day and gobbles up. Every so often he has bones, and sardines in his kong mixed up with a bit of his kibble, we still have to avoid biscuits not a bad thing though. H and D

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 02 Jul 2014, 08:32

Im with Jackie and Bella - Lulu didnt like kibble (unless it was a treat), didnt like raw unless I cooked it! On recommendation from people on here I started her on natures diet that she woolfs down. Still a fussy eater but she has got better but dont wont to try anything different now

If it aint broke dont fix it
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 02 Jul 2014, 08:54

Pixie and jazz have Csj kibble days with goats yogurt topping for breakfast and maybe a sardine topper for tea then alternate days of natures diet and total raw days.
They love the variety and seem to enjoy the game of choosing the food each day in the garage.
Treats include apple cores, carrots, raw eggs and fresh bones
ImageImage
ImageImage

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 02 Jul 2014, 08:57

Our two have a base diet of Pero kibble with a topper at lunchtime of either pilchards, white fish, yogurt, tinned dog meat, eggs (when the chickens are laying like mad) or leftovers (usually the end of the Sunday roast when you can't face another sandwich!).

We picked the Pero because I tried them on a small bag, they liked it, and I noticed an improvement in their poos. Also, it's made in Bettws y Coed (which is localish to us, and I like the idea of supporting them) and they will deliver free.

Sasha & Pluto

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 02 Jul 2014, 09:52

Pluto loves his food so much that we had to buy a slow feed bowl. I feed him Lily's Kitchen breakfast crunch, he has a daily carrot and as he loves to chew I buy him marrow bones from the supermarket (much cheaper than pet shops) and dried venison bones. He is also fed Lily's Kitchen lamb kibble for dinner with some veg or potatoes on top and also bits of fruit.
I changed his food from JWB as poos were a bit sloppy and after watching that programme on C5. He is 9mths now and 26.6kgs, so thriving on his diet.
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 02 Jul 2014, 11:17

Our cat's life was saved by Pero, Noglet! She was a rescue, had allergies, and she was sick and had diarrhea all the time - the rescue had her returned 3 times already, aged 4 months. I did a diet sheet and fed her and recorded how she was after every week on a slowly introduced new food (during which time she got worse and worse and all her lymph glands were up) and found she was allergic to maize and dairy.

Waitrose happened to have the only wheat/maize free food at the time (9 years ago, amazing how things have improved) and as soon as she had that she got better just like that.

For this reason I have never given yogurt or cheese or wheat etc to Lola, as I do think labradoodles seem to have allergy-likelihood!

She now has Orijen, a different flavour morning and evening, with Nature's menu a different flavour every couple of days. Also some chicken or fish if I have it. Sometimes she gets one meal raw, also Nature's menu. I have to keep up the kibble as she is an assistance dog and goes everywhere with me, I cannot feed her a wholly raw diet, or soft food either - I have to have the option of something I can put in my bag and take on a plane/train etc!

For treats she has Fish4dogs fish skin treats which also clean her teeth and she loves them.

She has never been ill apart from one ear infection when a pup.

*touches wood*
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

doodly dawn

Post by doodly dawn » 02 Jul 2014, 11:37

We feed ours on Pero, Milo our puppy is on a herring and sweet potato one and he loves it. Cody who 4 also loves his true grain free turkey and sweet potato.
Dawn

Molly/Maisie

Post by Molly/Maisie » 02 Jul 2014, 11:46

We have finally settled on natures diet and beta puppy kibble , raw bone once a week , and carrot and cheese as a treat.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 02 Jul 2014, 13:28

Mine have natures diet and Orijen. All seem absolutely fine with this mix.
Dixie has had anal gland problems but natures diet sorted this out as it contains ground bone which helps firm up poos.
Dixie is the fussy eater and not at all greedy, I sometimes sprinkle liver powder (from Pets at Home) on her food when she's being choosey. This grabs her interest and she eats the lot.
Treats are now few and far between , the milky bones and bits of bonio along with dried sprats together with any bits of cooked chicken that we don't finish.
I must say that there us so much information on the net along with such a variety of food that I did become overwhelmed with it !!
I've now settled and my dogs are healthy.
I've spoken to loads of people also and constantly told dogs in the past were fed human scraps and lived long lives. Any thoughts or experiences?
ImageImage