Do you feed raw ?

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Cocochanel

Do you feed raw ?

Post by Cocochanel » 09 Jul 2014, 11:26

Hi everyone
I'm contemplating on feeding a raw diet in future (10 week old pup) and just wondered do any of you feed raw and what are the advantages :D

Sharan

Re: Do you feed raw ?

Post by Sharan » 10 Jul 2014, 08:24

Yes i feed raw food to Rudy and i started him on it at about 7 months old.
Up until then he had been plagued by ear and eye infections and a little bit of itchy skin and once he switched to raw all of those problems cleared up so that was a huge benefit.
Also he gets a variety of foods and really enjoys mealtimes!
And finally - bit of a weird one but his poo dramatically improved. They are small, hard and non smelly - a joy to pick up!! :lol:
ImageImage

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 10 Jul 2014, 08:30

Bella has raw, but in the form of Natures Menu, as it does everything for me! She still has chicken wings as a treat though. Se was incredibly fussy with her food, but will eat Natures Menu every time. She also likes Natures Diet, for when we're away.
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 10 Jul 2014, 08:34

Yes we feed raw. We switched because Fozzie didn't like any of the food that we had tried and had runny poos more often than not. He took to raw food like a duck to water. When little Flo came along, we switched her straight over to raw as soon as she was home as I didn't want to be feeding different food. The only time it becomes expensive is when we go on holiday and I buy human grade mince and chicken. If you are organised enough you can still do it but we run out of fridge space when camping to store their food for any length of time.

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Jul 2014, 10:48

Yes I feed raw too - for all the above reasons, and because I became increasingly aware of the cr4p added to most dried foods. Also when I took a course in canine nutrition I found that dogs can't digest carbs, which is what most of the complete foods are bulked up with, so their digestive systems are under constant stress. It then made total sense to feed them what is called a "species appropriate" diet. I am a vegetarian of 30+ years, but have no problem handling offal and meat for my doods! :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 10 Jul 2014, 21:14

Yes I feed raw - the boys love it! I get it from Landywoods or Manifold Valley meats - they both deliver down south.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 11 Jul 2014, 19:18

We have fed stout raw since he was 9 months. He has various allergies and ibd
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

freedom

Post by freedom » 12 Jul 2014, 15:43

I feed raw and I rear my puppies on raw, have done for many years, to me it is the natural thing to feed a dog who is a carnivore, those teeth are not designed for ripping open brightly coloured bags :)
You may like to look at my website regarding a raw diet, if you have a strong stomach also look at the page 'Much Ado About Poo'
I also don't believe in boosters but that is another even more emotive subject :) None of my dogs have needed to see a vet for many years either
http://www.creamofbritish-australianlab ... 4533418138

Cocochanel

Post by Cocochanel » 18 Jul 2014, 16:31

Hi
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I'm still looking into this and coco is only ten weeks old at the moment but feeding kibble (breeder advised) seems a bit dull.
I will have a look at natures menu :-)
I don't plan on taking her for any boosters either my last dog never had any and was fine.
Thank you all once again and I will have a look on your website freedom:-)

Cocochanel

Post by Cocochanel » 18 Jul 2014, 17:00

Had a look at natures menu which I can get from 'pets at home' do I just weigh out enough mince for her weight ? Do I need to mix it with anything like vegetables maybe? Also she's only ten weeks old could I swap her straight over or would I have to do it gradually ?
Sorry for all the questions but I literally have no clue :-)

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Jul 2014, 17:41

Have a look at thie site - there is a lot of info there to help get you started. http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/

Pups can start at any age - if it helps you feel more confident about it you could switch one meal a day at first.

There are 2 basic rules - one is to do with amounts - an adult dog needs between 2% and 3% of it's bodyweight daily, but a puppy needs up to 10% of it's body weight . This is a huge amount, but puppies are growing and active. Even so it is UP TO 10% and puppies seem to grow in spurts so it's best to gauge by weighing your puppy regularly to see that she keeps growing and to feel that she isn't getting too fat.

This other rule is that they need 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% offal - liver or kidney really. If you read the Natures menu website you wil see that they don't mention bone or offal in their ingredients and state that you should feed bone as well as their complete food, so I take that to mean that their complete food isn't a complete and balanced food. (It's OK for dogs like Bella who have chicken wings as well :D )

If you are looking for a ready made raw food that has everything in it, I think Nutriment is a pretty good one, and they have a puppy starter pack ... http://www.nutriment.co/5kg-puppy-pack/ It definitely says it contains bone and offal in it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cocochanel

Post by Cocochanel » 18 Jul 2014, 17:47

Oh ok that's interesting !
Thank you,just goes to show it's not as simple as it first seems :-)

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Jul 2014, 18:27

It is simple really - you just go for balance over time not every meal - a bit like feeding yourself. I don't know about you, but I don't have a fully balanced meal three times a day, everyday :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Cocochanel

Post by Cocochanel » 18 Jul 2014, 18:32

Haha! Very true ! :-)

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 23 Jul 2014, 17:16

I also feed raw, but I use Nutriment which is totally balanced and does include bone, Murphy loves it.

As someone else said it's a bit of a pain when I'm away as my friend who has him can't store much in her freezer, so this time I've bought some Forthglade complete and Symply wet food which was the highest meat percentage wet food that I could find.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage