Starting on Raw Feeding

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Ruthio

Starting on Raw Feeding

Post by Ruthio » 03 Sep 2014, 11:01

Hi all!

Willow is now 19 weeks, and for the last week or so, I have started replacing initially one, the two (she still has three a day) of her meals with Natures Menu raw nuggets. I do plan to try other raw brands, but Natures Menu seemed a good place to start.

Does anyone else alternate raw food and kibble? I know they digest at different rates, but I don't want to cut kibble completely as it's useful if we are away of if someone else has to feed her.

Based on the puppy feeding guide, she should have 47 nuggets per day, so I give her 16 in the morning, followed by 80g of Markus Mühle NaturNah for lunch, then another raw meal after her walk in the evening.

She also has a ducks neck every other day, which she adores!

My concern is, she scoffs the raw food super quick, and then acts like she is a poor staved creature, harassing me in the kitchen and every time I go to the freezer (she's worked out where the food is kept, even though it's left for hours to defrost!). I don't mind the guilt trips, but I just want to make sure that she's getting enough. It's quite possible that she's just super impressed with the raw food, and fairly nonplussed about the kibble, explaining the difference in the reactions to each meal!

Also, does anyone know if the ducks necks can be fed frozen? I was thinking this might help with teething, and keep her occupied for longer!

Thanks all

:D
Ruth & Willow

DiSet

Re: Starting on Raw Feeding

Post by DiSet » 03 Sep 2014, 21:09

Hi, I feel raw in the morning and kibble in the evening. It works very well for us.

I don't mix kibble and raw in the same meal (I know you're not doing) - just for info :D .

This is only my opinion but I'd be tempted, if you're still feeding three meals, to feed raw for the first two meals and last meal kibble rather than putting kibble in the middle. I may be wrong but my theory is that its better for her digestion.

Re - the duck necks - when you buy any bones etc from Natures Menu, they always recommend they are defrosted but I've heard of people feeding them frozen so ??? :?

:)

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Sep 2014, 21:30

I've not tried it with mine, but I know people do feed frozen meat to their dogs with no ill effects.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 03 Sep 2014, 22:12

I feed Ianto raw for his first meal and kibble (with a little topper) for his supper... I figure if it takes longer to go through his system, it has plenty of time overnight. I also have kept him on kibble for one meal whilst I find my feet with raw... just in case he isn't getting the right proportions yet.

I tried the nuggets, but to me, they don't 'seem' very substantial - a bit 'pobby' and gone in no time. I feel (though can't guarantee) that beef chunks and chicken with meat and bone give him something more to go at than a nugget, which isn't very challenging once it's defrosted. I also feed him minced beef and minced chicken with bone incorporated which isn't quite as satisfying in the chomping department but slightly more 'there' than the nuggets...

I do worry about non-defrosted food - for no scientific reason - just that I think they wouldn't necessary be eating frozen food in the wild and it might be too cold for his tum... :roll: :roll: I know... I'm being dim.

Anne & Ianto x
Edited to add: Please don't think I'm criticising you for feeding her nuggets... it's just my personal feelings about them.

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Sep 2014, 23:41

The thing to watch out for with Natures Menu is that a lot of their food isn't an adequate complete food. It is worth checking the ingredients rather that going along with the "complete" label, just in case. I have seen some that have no bone and no offal but still say they are complete.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 04 Sep 2014, 11:00

Thanks for the comments, all advice is gratefully received!

Di and Anne, Makes perfect sense to give the kibble in the evening, for digestion purposes, I shall bear that in mind!

Anne - I know what you mean about the nuggets, they do seem a tad insubstantial, hence my concern about whether she's getting enough or not. They are gone in about 90 seconds flat!

Bid - You're right, I've just checked the ingredients of the Venison with Blueberry nuggets, and no offal or bone at all is listed. It does say in the blurb that they strongly encourage adding raw meaty bones several times a week, but they do advertise them as being an entirely complete meal, so it's a tad misleading.

I'm planning on placing an order with my local supplier who provides food from Manifold Valley Meats, Durham Animal Feeds, as well as Natures Instinct and Natures Menu. I figured I'd get a mixed bundle of lots of different items, and see what works for us! My biggest problem is that I'm going to need to make space in my chest freezer, which is difficult, as I'm something of a food hoarder, I can't resist a reduced section bargain! :) Maybe i'll just buy an extra freezer lol ! I'm keen to get the hang of this, as the benefits seem worth it, and Willow seems so impressed with being fed actual proper real food!
Ruth & Willow

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Sep 2014, 19:06

Oh yes, the freezer! When I go in ours now, it's full of Ianto's food! I'm planning on getting one specially for him when we move to our new place... :lol:
I found 'raw meaty bones' in Morrisons last week and Ianto loved them!
Good Luck, let us know how you're getting on...
Anne & Ianto x

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Sep 2014, 19:49

I get my food from Manifold Valley - excellent stuff imo! :D :D

Anne - Morrisons are famous for raw food bargains! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 05 Sep 2014, 09:22

Thanks all!

I have contacted our local supplier for delivery date and tips, and it just so happens that a friend needs a home for a small chest freezer!

How very fortuitous! Now I just need to persuade the OH to rearrange the many mountain bikes/ kayaks/stupid amount of tools in the garage to make space. He is very territorial about his garage, but on the other hand is totally in love with Willow, so maybe I shall use that for leverage :-)
Ruth & Willow

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 06 Sep 2014, 00:12

do you feed the natures diet puppy version, my local store only supplies the adult version does the same amount of nuggets still apply as says can enjoy the adult version from 16 weeks? im not sure

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 08 Sep 2014, 14:11

I rang the company and they said that the adult food is fine from 16 weeks, although they would recommend the Country Hunter range as its higher in protein (and price too!).

I've stocked up on the chicken and tripe mince and am feeding that instead of the nuggets now, mixed with homemade vegetable mush and the odd ducks neck/chicken wing, until I get my delivery on Friday from MVM.

I shall be introducing liver and other offal next, so we shall see how it goes :-)
Ruth & Willow

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Sep 2014, 19:51

I can't get raw liver (or kidney) into Ianto - he picks it out and drops it on the rug... though he loves raw heart. I've tried it chunked, sliced and blitzed but the only way he'll eat it is as liver cake! :?

I asked about raw meaty bones at our local Morrisons the other day - "We don't get them in very often, there's no call for them," he said and then added, "When they do come in, they go in no time!" He didn't see the irony... :roll:

Anne & Ianto x

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 08 Sep 2014, 20:14

I got rig some duck necks today, he was desperate to get at it, then I put it on the grass in the garden he didn't know what to do with it. He settled for leaping about and barking at it! :lol: eventually he dumped it in the front room and barked at it some more! It's now in the fridge to see if he can work out what to do with it tomorrow! :roll: :lol:
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Sep 2014, 20:40

Helen & Rigby,
According to the OH, you can stuff them with 'some sort of sausagemeat, chopped duck, and herbs...' :lol: Whenever I mention getting them for Ianto, the OH pipes up, "They're very popular in posh restaurants now!" So there you go, Rig... (but I think you'd have to share with the hooms :roll: )
Anne & Ianto x

stout

Post by stout » 09 Sep 2014, 14:15

Stout has his own freezer contained various manky things. He cant have duck necks (duck intolerance :roll: ) so has turkey necks instead, he gets fed them outside as they are a bit grim :mrgreen: . He refused to eat his dinner the other day, and was looking up at me, eating a bit and looking at me, we were really worried as he hasn't refused food since he was really ill, we ended up phoning the vet and giving him some of his medicine, he seemed fine and ate his dinner. I then remembered I had got him a turkey neck out to defrost, which was where he was looking. Paranoid? us :lol:

Waitrose sell marrow bones too, they had them on offer, and it worked out cheaper to get them there than from the pet shop. When Stout gets one of those Chris usually refers to them as 'unicorn bones' as they are so posh :lol:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle