How to make dry food more appealing

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
Marga

How to make dry food more appealing

Post by Marga » 10 Sep 2014, 09:04

Hi,
Can anybody suggest how can i make Harvey's food more attractive, i have the feeling he is bored of it, stills eat it but he is not as enthusiastic as he used to be, considering to maybe add gravy, any suggestions? :D

nsmoore1

Re: How to make dry food more appealing

Post by nsmoore1 » 10 Sep 2014, 11:03

What kind of food are you feeding him?? With Poppy she has always been picky and would often refuse her dinner. Sometimes I make the food more exciting by hiding it inside Kongs/Food puzzles!

wobble.gob

Post by wobble.gob » 10 Sep 2014, 11:22

Ozzy is extremely fussy, which doesn't help when he's on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry food!!

I pour hot water onto his and let is soak in, which he seems to prefer to it being completely dry. But I feel the same as you - he is so bored of the same food day after day!!

In my personal opinion I wouldn't put gravy on his dinner using gravy granules because of the salt levels.

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 10 Sep 2014, 12:31

I always add something to dexters ,like tin dog food only small amount , tuna cheese or pilchard or even a raw egg,plus you could cook some veg and add that .You can buy gravey for dogs my dad got me some once or if add your own just make it more watery because it would be fatterning and salty,dexter even likes tin kidney beans and sweet corn.
ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 10 Sep 2014, 12:56

I sprinkle Dixie's food with powdered liver from Pets at Home. She has her fussy days and this works every time. It's sold as a supplement.
ImageImage

Marga

Post by Marga » 10 Sep 2014, 14:29

Thanks for your advise, I was considering buying dogs gravy but I want other alternatives otherwise he will bored of it again!! I am going to try sardines or even reduce a bit the portion of dry food and add a bit of what we are having and mix it all up :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Sep 2014, 14:44

May I add that Elaine means just the sweetcorn niblets, never the cob as dogs can't digest it...

I put a tiny scraping of Chappie Original on Ianto's dry kibble after adding a little hot water (and letting it cool, of course!) It seems to get good write-ups and our lad prefers to have something to 'grab his interest'. If I have a small amount of tuna in spring water, he loves that!

Anne & Ianto x

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 10 Sep 2014, 15:16

Tuna, pilchards, cooked vege, raw vege, goats yogurt, egg
However gravy made my girls trump a lot :oops:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Sep 2014, 20:42

If you think it's boring, imagine how your dog feels about it! :lol: You could always feed something else instead, such as a raw food diet :wink:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 10 Sep 2014, 21:26

Ianto! wrote:May I add that Elaine means just the sweetcorn niblets, never the cob as dogs can't digest it...x
Wish I'd known this 2 months ago, when my dad gave Roma half a corn on the cob and she vommed it up the next morning :oops:
Rachel & Roma

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Sep 2014, 22:14

Thank goodness she was able to, Rachel... there have been cases of dogs eating corn on the cob left by others on abandoned B-B-Qs which have resulted in deaths. I'm always on the look-out when we go down the woods in case Ianto finds one before I see it... :( My M-I-L gave my Yorkie a mince pie (raisins :shock: ) even though I told her not too - thankfully, Sophie immediately sicked it up on her carpet - result!! :lol:

Raw is brilliant, our lad loves it!

Anne & Ianto x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 12 Sep 2014, 21:33

We give two flavours of kibble, different morning and evening, with some Nature's menu on top, different flavours each time. Plus a little of the meat protein we are eating - chicken, fish, etc. They are mammals and need different flavours and textures... food is one of the joys of life, and if you can't read, watch TV etc, and your joys mainly come from exercise and food, one of them being very boring is a bit... boring!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 Sep 2014, 22:11

pixie's mum wrote:However gravy made my girls trump a lot
Just to bring the tone down... Our Ianto never seems to 'pass wind', but the other morning his botty made a little 'Phoot!' He turned to stare at his bottom, and the look on his face was absolutely precious! :shock: It completely creased me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne & Ianto x