including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 08:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New food recommendations? Need help!
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 07:59 

Hi all,

Monty is 6 months old and we have been feeding him royal canin neutered junior dry food. This led on from the original royal canin puppy food we got straight from the breeder. He eats it all up every time though he has intermittently had vomiting and minor issues... with the other end. This might be down to his taste for chewing on grass and bark though, and what we thought timed with a certain brand of treats (motley mix??). Recently I read through some old posts with interests about different dog foods and looking up ours I see it is rated poorly with under 2 stars and as "budget product at premium price" so am wanting to change. The first ingredient is dehydrated poultry derivative. Am I right to think the first ingredient should be total meat. It also apparently uses poor practise of grin splitting to make these ingredients appear lower down. Should grains be considered an unwanted product?? I would like some advice on what you feed and what i could change to? Obviously we would do this gradually (even more so since we have a 10kg bag just opened!) We like the idea of keeping it as natural as possible and the least chance of any side effects. Dry food would be the preferred option but i remember reading someone on here said they added powdered toppings such as liver, or maybe a wet pouch on top in order to keep it interesting? Any help would be great, there are so many brands out there its hard to know where to start alone!

Post subject: Re: New food recommendations? Need help!
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 08:17 

Hello Annabel (this is also my own Sunday name - I go by the name Annie normally though)

We have a 4 mo th old mini Aussie called Yoshi and a 14 mo th old mini F1 called Coco. I feed Lily's Kitchen wet and complete for the pair of them. For Yoshi he gets daily one small tray of puppy wet food divided into his three meals with the complete puppy food to bulk it out and Coco gets a quarter of a can per meal with the Lily's dried food. We buy this online from Zooplus as its better value. Beware, the Tesco's Lily's kitchen isn't the same quality.

This food suits them well. I have even tried it myself and it tastes like a good quality pate. The main ingredient is human grade often organic meat, no grains in most recipes and lots of herbs and veg for health. We used to use Barking Heads but the dogs much prefer the taste of this.

You'll receive lots of different options on this forum and there probably won't be a right or wrong answer. IMO it's worth spending money on good food, as it may well prevent health problems in the future. My neighbour feeds tesco value complete to her lab and her poos are disgusting looking - yellow, ginormous and awfully smelly, whereas my two have very healthy poos that hardly smell ( I hope you're not eating your breakfast!!)

Annie, Coco and Yoshi. X

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015, 21:14 

Thanks for your reply. Yoshi has a beautiful caot by the way :)
I will def check out those brands. Ideally I would like a high quality dry food that I could top with fresh fruit or veg or some meat. I have read elsewhere on this forum that mixing dry food and raw food isnt good for their digestion though? So to get around this, should each meal by different, ie dry in the morning and then raw food in the eve, or maybe a wet pouch?? We have no experience of wet food, is it meant to be better than dry? I enjoy the ease of storage and feeding of dry food and worry that wet pouches will take up a lot of space and cost loads? At the mo, monty gets dry food in the morning and eve, sometimes with yoghurt or liver added in the eve, and then most lunchtimes he gets liver, chicken or sardines and maybe an egg thrown in there sometimes. I will most certainly be staying away from value or the common supermarket brands since discovering what is actually of value, or lack of value, in each of them.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 21:22 

Grain free is definitely the way to go if you want to feed a dry food. Dogs can't produce the enzymes needed to digest grains...

There are now several good grain-free dog foods available in pet stores and online. :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 23:37 

I enjoy feeding raw after reading what goes into most kibble . Dogs love it and I like the idea they get a variety. As Glenda says grain free imo is way to go if you feed kibble and now many more producers are jumping on that wagon too
I do buy odd bag of kibble for lazy treats when training,liked canagan grain free and just got a bag of aatu. Now realise Aatu ismade by the folks at Barking Heads.
Decide what you want to spend and then look about in that range otherwise you will spend hours and hours looking.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 00:10 

If you want to feed a dry food, there are good ones that are reasonably priced as well as the premium pricey ones. The thing to look for as you said, is the first ingredient should be a named meat, so beef, chicken, lamb, etc, not meat, poultry or other generic names. It can be meal, but not a by-product or a derivative. Poor quality foods will have wheat or corn/maize, medium quality foods wil have rice, and the higher quality foods will have veg. Almost all dry foods will have some sort of carbs. Dogs can digest them, but not as efficiently as meat & fat.

The theory behind not feeding raw and dry at the same time (and I don't know how true it is), is that raw food contains bacteria which do not get to multiply and thrive in the gut because dogs digest raw food quickly, however they digest dry food (carbs) slowly, and the bacteria can mix with it and stay there longer, potentially causing problems for the dog.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 09:48 

We changed Paddy from Royal Canin to Taste of the Wild and he no longer has a doggy whiff apart from the stuff he rolls in and his poos are a good pick uppable consistency. Taste of the Wild is pricey but we think it's worth it. I was picking up a sack from the pet shop the other day and a women was buying a sack of a different brand the same size at a cost of £10; Taste of the Wild is £40 :shock:

He recently stayed with a friend who feeds her dog Barkers and I stupidly forgot to tell her not to feed him. The next day he had diarrohea all over the place but that could have been down to the change as much as the content of the food.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 10:52 

Thanks again. We have decided to buy a small bag of Canagan to try him on. I was actually wrong when I said the first ingredient in his current food was poultry derivitave. Its actually maize! Its shocking what I have learned using the dog food directory site. I cant believe the breeder recommended this food. I am going for canagan as its rated well, all natural, high meat, and hopefully most importantly grain free!
Poor little monty is actually going in to the vets this afternoon as since Saturday he has been sick, bad diahrrea, and not himself at all. Its so sad to just see him lying down looking poorly. He has beeen bringing up undigested food for 3 days now and so we really want to get him checked out and hopefully started on some good quality food! The more we read about his RC food it appears that many owners have had problems with it and maybe monty is an unlucky one. He has had bad ears, and scratches quite a lot. His coat is also looking a lot duller than it used to. Maybe I'm pinning too much hope on new food, but I feel it really can make a difference. Hes never been an energetic excitable dog and now I feel bad thinking if it is because his poor body has been conatsntly working to break down all these grains. Anyway, hopefully the vet will sort him out. I also like the idea of giving him raw, but unfortunately cant commit to full time or being sure that he is getting all he needs. Looking at supplementing dry food with maybe Natures Menu pouches or some Wainwrights wet food. Is this ok??

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2015, 12:39 

When we hanged Scooby's morning kibble to adult food we chose the grain free additive free with high meat content. This was supplied from our local pet shop who has it packed for him. She only has this in the morning. In the evening she has either cooked beef, chicken, turkey or fish with raw fresh vegetables. Scoob cannot tolerate raw meat as bacteria builds up,in her tummy this is why the meat and fish are cooked. She is thriving on it!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2015, 23:03 

Monty tried his new dry food today and seemed to enjoy it. I too am thinking of feeding this in the morning and then some meat, veg or fish in the evening when we have our meal. Alternatively we are looking at buying some natural tinned or pouch food such as natures menu for when we are cooking said meal he can't join in with. Will this is be too many different foods for him? I have read that dry food should be given alone and ideally I would like this to be given in the eve so he has all night to digest, but I just don't have time in the morning to prepare any fresh foods for him.

Scooby dood, has scooby had any issues with the cooked meat. I read that all meat was to be raw. It would make me feel better if I knew I could give monty some cooked fish or meat occasionally. He has cooked chicken already and that seems fine. I also read conflicting advice about raw or cooked veg. Obviously many people here say raw but others say it needs to be blitzed totally or cooked in order to break down the cellulose to allow it to be digested better? Sorry for all the questions, any help would be great. I really like the idea of giving monty more fresh food including pigs trotters or ears or heart but still feel a bit weird about what to cook and what not to!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2015, 23:15 

Hi Annabell, how is Monty doing after his vet visit? Hope he is feeling a little better.
Re his food ,hope he enjoys Canagan.In fact I think I saw they did a wet version though no idea about it. I think Mandy on here feeds her lovely Phoebe on Canagan.
If you decide to supplement the dry food ,I would rather give the wet as a separate meal rather than mixing since the dry is suppose to be a meal in it's self. Infact looking at some of the prices it is probably cheaper to buy some fresh mince and cook it yourself if you wanted to give something else. Guess each to their own :D

Ps:Just seen yr post as i was submitting and yes I read veg needs to be blitzed if fed raw otherwise lightly cooked/steamed
PPS: :oops: I see no issue feeding cooked fresh meat with a litt,e par cooked veg etc as a meal. The alternative is to feed raw ie raw meat with blitzed raw veg or par cooked veg. On raw fed diets ,two schools of thought exist,one being there is no need in diet for veg and the other that says veg,fruit should be part of the raw meat diet. You probably know already you can buy pre-prepared raw meals

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 11:46 

Scoot has no issues with cooked meat. We simply put the meat into a jug with some water and cook it in the microwave. Similarly with fish. We have had no problems with the raw vegetables but we wash thoroughly before serving. She also likes tinned fish in oil as well as fresh fish. Scooby cannot tolerate raw meat as her tummy is a little sensitive hence the reason for cooking. The meat is given in the evening and the kibble in the morning sometimes with a little natural yoghurt.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 22:04 

Monty is feeling much better thanks! He practically skipped into the vets despite having been at deaths door that morning! (The vet must have thought we were totally over reacting!) We have no longer fed him royal canin and he hasn't been sick since. He's now on a diet of fish and rice for a few days on doctors orders alongside his new dry food separately in the evening. He seems so much happier with this and I do feel that the royal canin wasn't doing him any good at all.
I fel much more confident with what I'm going to feed him from now on and tomorrow I will pick either forth glade or wainwrights wet food for an occasional evening meal.
We are off to the Lake District tomorrow for our first holiday together so fingers crossed everything stays well!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 22:18 

Enjoy the Lake District. :D
So glad Monty is feeling cheeky and yes typical dog, they worry us senseless and then bounce into the vets.If any help when i checked Forthglade and Wainwrights I discovered forthglade made Wainwrights for P@H, may have changed since I looked a few yrs ago.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 15:20 

Have lovely trip to Lake district, if house sale goes through on time we have a holiday booked to Derbyshire for our first holiday away with Holly. Bet the moving dates coincide with the hol!
Anyway I changed Holly on to a cereal free dry mix called Akela Original Her bowels have been perfect since and is bright eyed and bushy tailed. It is quite expensive but a little goes a log way not like the bulked up cheap highly advertised one I started her on. Big Mistake on my part. I also give her cooked chicken with sweet potato, carrot and peas make a big batch and freeze it, could actually blitz it makes a great soup. She will also devour as a special treat Tuna.