including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New food recommendations? Need help!
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 16:20 

Coco is four months and came from the breeder on Royal Canin puppy. I'd also seen that this was a poor quality food so changed her over quite quickly to Nutriment which is a pre-prepared frozen raw food. She loves it and her poos are very healthy! I also have a bag of Gentle which is cold pressed dry food (main ingredients are chicken and brown rice) and I keep this for times I forget to defrost the raw or if someone else has to feed her for any reason. Raw and dried shouldn't usually be fed together as they digest at different rates but Gentle is fine to be fed alongside raw.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 20:07 

Pollydoodle, I checked that out and I think you're right and it's still the case. We went for wainwrights in the end and he seems to be enjoying it.
Apart from a few mins of whining on the first night, we had a great time away in the Lake District. He caused quite a stir when we visited the pencil museum, with all the staff coming out to get as cuddle from him!
Kathie doodle, this is similar to what monty sometimes has. Can I ask how you serve it up to your dog? I never know what size pieces to feed. I thought smaller is better in case of choking. I'm not too sure if monty really understands chewing as he had always been on small dry food. I then read that smaller pieces actually encourage choking! Do you cut up the potato or chicken for your pup? Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 May 2015, 23:12 

A little bit late in replying to this topic but only just came across it. Our Aussie doodle is now 18 months old and when we first got her way back last January she had been fed Royal Canin by her breeder, seems to be popular with breeders for some reason. Like others on here a little research online revealed that Royal Canin might be labelled and priced as premium dog food but certainly wasn't rated as such online. I gradually changed her over to Eden ( at that time one of only three rated as 5 stars on the what dog food website) and found she has thrived on it. Might be a bit expensive initially ( local supplier charges £49 for 15 kg bag) but she doesn't need huge amounts of it so it works out at about 50pence a day. She' s a medium sized dog, stands about 20 inches high at the shoulder and weighs around 19 kg. I thought I might need to add some wet food to her meals to make it more interesting for her but she seems quite happy to take it the way it is.
Still on food but on a slightly different note. I came across a recommendation for another website with a recipe for homemade liver cake on another thread somewhere on here. The site is www.bdws.co.uk
I had a look and ended up trying some of his recipes for homemade dog treats ( haven't tried the liver cake yet). Made the sardine oatcakes and the banana bombs as well as the dried liver training treats. Dog loved them all, and if I can make them anyone can. Worth a look.

Rob

PostPosted: 06 May 2015, 17:58 

Hi annabell
Sorry not replied sooner, so much going on and not much time to sit and read quietly.
Holly has always had the chicken and veg, she seems to enjoy a moist meal more than just dry but she does enjoy the Akela. I hack a chicken into quarters boil and simmer for 20 mins then add rough chopped carrot, sweet pots to the pot and simmer for further 10-15 mins. I leave the veg in cubes about 1-11/2 " square . She has never choked on it( but with a doodle never say never) I always leave chicken in good size chunks for the flavour but am very careful not to leave any bones in the mix.
We enjoyed the Lakes although the pencil museum cost me dear with gifts for the grandchildren :)
Best wishes Kathie and Holly

PostPosted: 06 May 2015, 22:16 

Thanks Rob. I have looked and will certainly be making some of the recipes. I have a tray of liver ready to go. Monty has had lambs liver plenty times and he has always gobbled it up. Yesterday though we offered him a single chicken liver instead of chopped and he wasn't too sure. He had a good sniff and then picked it up and carried it off in his mouth. Queue me running after him trying to prevent him dropping it on our cream carpet! He eventually managed to finish it, but he certainly made the most hassle of it that I have ever seen him do with any food before. Probably won't offer him it this way again.
I have found a supplier near me of raw food for dogs and it looks like what I have been after so hopefully I will place an order soon. With a bit of luck he won't be quite so dramatic with these new foods.