including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw food book recommendation
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 20:15 

As some of you may know I have been looking at moving monty onto a new diet as I was shocked at how much we were paying for what I learnt we poor quality dry food. Whilst we have now found a better mix of both dry and wet food I am still interested in the raw food diet. I have read lots of posts, especially from bid, who seems to know what she is talking about and I would love to know more. I suppose my main concerns are what raw meats to feed and the risk of choking on bones as he is not used to them. I imagine these are worries mostly unfounded! I am looking for a good book with the basics and more info for me to learn about the benefits of this, along with some foods I can try. Along with the book, can anyone recommend something I can ease Monty into slowly so he can have a try. He already has had raw fish, liver and egg and we have had no issues with this. I hears bout pigs ears or Turkey necks?? Are these something easy I can try, or is there a specific meaty bone I should look out for? Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Raw food book recommendation
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 22:19 

Do you have a good independent pet shop? We have a horse/pet shop run by a vet nurse who is very pro raw feeding and is a mine of info and good ideas. We used natures diet mince as a starting point. they have whatever veg is cheap and in season mixed with whatever the pet shop has in their fridge. The only thing I can't cope with is tripe ...

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 23:54 

There are different ways of going about feeding raw. You can buy a "complete" raw food from online companies such as Nutriment, or you can buy pre-prepared minces - some with ground bone and some without, so you can forumulate your own diet easily, or you can go the "prey model" where you feed raw meaty bones and other bits and pieces. I think most of us do combination. I can tell you what I do, but its not the only way ....

I feed mine a combination of minces - a rough guideline is to aim for 80% muscle meat and 10% bone, with 10% offal, although I am currently working ours out in more detail to try and help with Daisy's ear. I also give a little cooked sweet potato as Beam is on a diet, and I get some lambs liver or kidney from Mr Tesco. I give them duck wings so they have something to crunch on too. Now a lot of people will aim for balance over time, but I find it easier toplan for more or less a good balance in each meal as i can see myself forgetting when they had what.

So, if I am feeding a duck wing and say, turkey and venison mince, I know that is a lot of bone, so I will also add a little offal and some bone-free mince to balance it out. If you go on facebookt here are plenty of raw feeding groups with lots of files and start-up guides.

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 01:12 

We feed stout a ready made all in one mince. He has natural instinct, one of his many intolerances is chicken and most of the other ready made ones have it in (or one of the other things he has problems with). We did used to make our own mix, I brought the ian Billingshurst 'the barf diet' book to try to get a good mix. Chris did a doggy nutrition course too. Stout has ibd and was on an esclusion diet so we had to add one thing in at a time. It was very time consuming, I would cook up squash, sweet potato and spinach, then add fish oil and kelp. We then froze that in portions, then added it to turkey or tripe with some liver. The ready made one is much easier.

He now has turkey and tripe, and turkey country banquet alternatively. Twice a week he has a meal that is a turkey neck and half a portion of mince (he needs something to mix his probiotics in). He has a tin of sardines in olive oil once a week (one fish a day). He gets a marrow bone on a Friday, and a beef chew with cartilage once a week. We tend to give him smaller portions of mince than he should get to allow for the extra bits he gets. His treats are dehydrated apple, sweet potato, butternut squash and turkey and the odd bit of fresh fruit and veg.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 15:54 

Henry has Natural Instinct too, he isn't a big fan of the chicken but loves the meatier flavours mixed with a little Fish4Dogs kibble. He has vegetables too, a slice of sweet potato is his favourite!
I don't know if you're a fan of podcasts, but I found this one http://fatburningman.com/george-bryant-raw-paleo-dog-food-the-relationship-of-food-and-mind/ really interesting. There are notes on that webpage too. He isn't a dog expert but what he was saying feeds into (pardon the pun) what I'd heard before. I'm not sure I could cope with the sound of Henry crunching chicken feet in the kitchen though :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 18:51 

Hi, I like a book to read and think about too!
When Molly first went onto raw more than 8 years ago, I was recommended to read "Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale. I'd find the link for you if you need, but am sure you could google it! But pm me if not. I found it a good read, and helpful, but a bit serious and I got a bit obsessed with trying to do it exactly right!
Then I joined this forum where there was also useful advice, then I had Saffie who was raised as a little pup on raw and came with a diet sheet. This was good but also I worried about getting it exactly right!
Now Molly and Saffie have raw meats and carcasses and bones, and some ready made natural tray food. But I don't worry about supplements. They also have veg sometimes but not regularly.
I think the Tom Lonsdale book was helpful in forming my views, but think that others' experience is also very valuable, so the Facebook groups are probably helpful.
Others may not like the Tom Lonsdale book, but my view is that you take what you need from these books and decide the rest yourself!

PostPosted: 01 May 2015, 19:09 

Oops forgot another - shorter! - book by Tom Lonsdale - "work wonders, feed your dog raw meaty bones" .

PostPosted: 06 May 2015, 22:29 

Thanks Eileen. I purchased the works wonder book and had a good read. It wasn't quite as practical as I wanted so I also purchased carina macdonalds raw dog food book which seems good. I have also found a local supplier of pet minces and bones and Turkey necks etc. I am hopeful I can get this raw food malarkey sorted soon. I am hoping someone can tell me a little more about this bone ratio. If I feed a portion of mince with bone (10-20%) depending on the mix I choose is this sufficient? Obviously I am aware of the addition of offal and the occasional veg if I want. I Think I imagine that Monty needs to be chowing down on massive bones each day for calcium, but I have learnt that even giving a chicken wing or foot actually is a great source of bone and so if I did this then I would need to supplement the meal with added boneless meat or mince. Does anyone have any examples of the meals they serve? Maybe a couple of days menu so I can get an idea of what is needed and what amount. Thanks for all your help. I am learning so much! Hopefully my little monster will appreciate all my efforts.