including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 08:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sorry guys - another raw foodie question!
PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 15:10 

Ok, so I think I am understanding this raw food thing and the ratios and what is needed now! I have found a local supplier who stocks manifold valleys and the dogs butcher and is happy to deliver straight to my door. I'm thinking of ordering some complete meals, along with supplementing with veg, cottage cheese and oily fishes etc as lunchtime snack.

My main question still lies with RMB and what bits of bone are eaten and what aren't. Can someone please give me a list of what things I might order and how they are fed and what is eaten off them?

I know chicken and duck wings are to be fed and all eaten, if I give a neck do I expect them to eat every bit of it too?

What bones can I buy where they work their teeth and chew the meat off, and then the main bone is thrown out? Are these called recreational bones? Monty once had a knuckle bone but it was dried from pets at home but I'm sure he would enjoy chewing on a raw one much better! What about ribs?? Is it just the meat eaten off these?

Post subject: Re: Sorry guys - another raw foodie question!
PostPosted: 10 May 2015, 17:30 

There is a list of commonly fed bones on this site ....http://dogsdinner2.webs.com/anyoldbone.htm

FOr eating purposes it is best to avoid the weight bearing bones of large animals, and I personally don't feed ribs very often as I think they may break sharp bits off them.

We sometimes get the large knucle bones for recreational purposes, and I scoop a lot of the marrow out first as it is very rich.

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 00:04 

:D it does seem when you start there is so much to remember. Great thing is not every meal has to be exact as long as things even out overall then should be no issues.well that's my view.I feed mine lamb rib ir breast of lamb on the bone which they really enjoy and no probs at all.
Used to give them beef rib but both of them ended up sicking up sharp bits usually at 3a.m. :roll: Think if beef rib is confirmed from a young animal it probably wouldn't happen.Neck bone -they eat it all. When I manage to get whole lamb neck both doods are clamouring at the counter to get their portion. 8)

Ps:careful with cooked(dried) bones sold as ones to gnaw on. I've a horrific photo of how one of the larger bones splintered when my boy crunched it.

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 16:59 

We give Scoob raw knuckle bones which we get from the butcher. She chews off any excess meat and gnaws on the bone which is apparently very good for her teeth.

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 22:40 

So if give monty some lamb ribs for example how much should I expect him to actually eat? The whole bones?? Sorry for sounding daft!
I certainly won't be buying any more cooked bones. It's shocking that pAtH stock them when all information I've found is against feeding cooked bones to dogs.

PostPosted: 11 May 2015, 23:00 

He would eat all of them - at least mine do!

PostPosted: 12 May 2015, 14:40 

Wow. I can understand them eating chicken wing bones and necks but a whole ribs?? Well I never. Anyway I have put an order in for a few bits for monty. Got some natural instinct (preprepared just for now tho!), some minced lamb, chicken wings and duck necks. I also made him some liver cakes yesterday. What a lucky boy!