including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 07:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on food
PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 14:50 

HI, I get my 8 week old pup tomorrow and still haven't totally decided on feeding. I will have to get a bag of what she is currently on to transition anyway so it is not a desperate rush. First, I am wondering how long I should wait before making any changes? Also, I am still in 2 minds about raw and complete kibble. As I am vegetarian and don't have a great deal of time it would have to be a pre packaged raw. I do have some concerns about raw, not for pup but my young daughter who might inadvertently get contact with the raw meat. If I was to go raw, what is a reasonable one and is it possible to find any that will reduce any of the risks involved. Alternatively, what is a good quality, grain free kibble for pups?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Advice on food
PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 16:38 

Hi

Congratulations on your pup. What are you getting?
I too am in the process of altering montys foods. He currently gets canagan which I think is a high quality grain free dry food. I have also ordered some raw as I'm hoping to start him on this. Even from just this forum there seems to be many benefits from this diet.
To get started with prepared you can look at nature's menu or natural instinct which is what I've ordered along with some packaged meals from manifold valley meats. Wolftucker also do a puppy starter pack that seems straightforward and give you an idea of which order to feed in. Packaged is slightly more expensive but a good place to start to see how you and your pup feel about it.
I don't think the risks are as great as they used to be regarding raw meats, especially pre prepared packet which have stringent regulations to pass. Just treat the same way as your usual raw meats you would eat. The packaged ones can defrost in the fridge in then be fed easily. Not too sure about the raw bones and larger meats yet. Don't know how I feel about having monty playing with raw and then walking all over with the juices on his paws etc maybe someone else can tell us more if this is a worry?

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new addition.

PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 17:40 

My reply is not here? I will try again later....

PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 17:43 

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really handle any meat so need to be brave. It's the thought of puppy eating raw, then licking my daughter's face. If I do it, it will be pre packaged. How did you find the Canagen? It is one on my list.
Pup is a chocolate mini Aussie :). Very excited and a little nervous :|

PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 22:05 

Hi, if you are thinking of dried kibble, I can recommend millies wolfheart, all are grain free.
my 2 doing much better now I took them off royal canin , tried acana but it was too rich, changed to millies .
and they enjoy all flavours
good luck with new addition

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 00:34 

There is no real danger from feeding raw food. You just take the same precautions you would when handling any food, and as for doodles licking chidren - well when you think where dogs put their noses and the things they lick then food is the least of your worries - you really don't want them licking your childs face anyway!

I've been a veggie for over 30 years, but that is my choice, and I don't let it stop me feeding my dogs what I consider to be the best diet for them - I wish I had known more about feeding them before I brought Daisy up on the rubbish I gave her :-( I am sure she wouldn't have half the health issues she has if I had done better for her. To be perfectly honest, the meat I give my dogs looks and smells so much better than tinned dog food that it really isn't replusive (apart from tripe - that is never going to smell good!).

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 18:54 

Sounds like my pup monty. Where are you getting him from?

I have had no bother with canagan. Monty is so much happier since we took him off canagan. We have only tried the chicken so far but I believe there is another flavour ot 2 that we might try next.

Bid, my first raw delivery is arriving tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see how monty reacts. Should I start with a chicken wing or duck neck? Or ease him in and gve him the bone in mince?

So far he has had raw lambs and chicken liver, fish, chicken and turkey but never any complete meal yet. He has been good with everything. Only time we had a problem was when he seemed confused by the chicken liver. He carried it off onto our cream carpet before figuring out to eat it haha. :)

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 23:56 

If Monty has mastered chicken liver then nothing is going to phase him - just go for it! Just be aware that they sometimes go though a sort of detox.

PostPosted: 16 May 2015, 11:53 

Daisy is home and settling better than expected and the cat is not the slightest bit bothered! She is from Lisa Carson in Cardiff. We have a bag of her food while decifing which is a really good recipe. I need to work out how to do photo uploads.

PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 11:19 

Great news. If you live close to Cardiff I can highly recommend Sig and Viv's in Dinas Powys. They sell a great range of prepackaged raw and high quality kibble and are lovely people. I feed my pup Nutriment raw and also have Gentle cold pressed kibble as a back up if I forget to defrost!

PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 11:31 

Oops - just seen your other thread and mention of three hour trip to pick Daisy up. You're obviously nowhere near Cardiff! I've skim-read so someone else may have suggested already, but if you visit the all about dog food website you'll get some great info on the various foods available.

PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 19:24 

I am in Leicestershire Coco. I do the same, it's hard to keep up with every post :).