including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gulping food
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 19:43 

Hedley is 9 weeks old and settling well. He came from a litter of 7, all fed at once out if the same dish. He gulps his food and he accepts us gently moving it away a few inches then returning it in an attempt to slow him down and get used to the idea that its all his food and he doesn't need to wolf it down. We're worried he'll choke.
Are we doing the right thing? Any advice gratefully received!
Jo :)

Post subject: Re: Gulping food
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 19:50 

Exciting, exhausting times with new pups isn't it! I Well remember those early days with Dude. He too was a gulper( from a litter of 11) We solved the problem by using a bowl with a raised bump in the middle. It really slows them down. Re the leaping up and biting hands, clothes etc, we practised turning our back and making fists of our hands. This works well with pups. Can't wait to see pix. Anny

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 20:08 

Thanks Anny. We'll definitely try the raised centre if the bowl idea and turning back/fists of hands idea too. I've tried already turning away and nit interacting which works at times. However he leaps up too when I'm sitting with him and grabs my sleeves, shoes and trousers while I 'm walking away. Will persevere so thanks again. Love him to pieces. Can't work out how to add pix onto here!
Jo

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 21:06 

Removing his food is probably best avoided with a pup who is very keen on food, just in case he starts to feel the need to guard it. As already mentioned, a slow feeding bowl will be a big help. I use the green feeder for Beamish, and a Kygen slo bowl for Daisy. (Poppy is a very dainty eater and doesn't need one).

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 00:17 

Wondering if feeding from your hand , in relaxed manner , would somehow help. Would also be no 'bowl competition'.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 10:31 

Instead of taking the bowl away, feed a bit at a time, then you being near at feeding time will be a good thing. Your hands near by will be seen as giving not taking away which is good not at threat. My dood knows if I say her name when she's eating she will get more if she stops. We have no issues. I can put my hand right in her bowl. I also just ask for a nice sit and say "ok" (often before treats too) before she can have it which means she waits nicely while you get it ready and I think it's why she doesn't steal food. She is used to getting permission so she doesn't help herself. She doesn't counter surf, steal or snatch food even though she is food obsessed and a total piggy.
Other tricks which slow down if it's kibble are putting it on a baking tray (works for wet too) or all over the floor. Kong wobblers, buster cubes and treat balls are good as well. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 14:16 

We tried a lumpy bowl with stout, but in the end went for a Kong wobbler, they have the advantage that it keeps them occupied for longer, but they are quite noisy! He now eats raw food and seems to eat it slowly, not sure why.

We tried all sorts with the nipping, he would sometimes nip your legs if you turned your back. We used to put butter on our hands so he realised it was nicer to lick hoomans than bite them. Only problem is he is a bit of a licky dog now, so not a good idea if you are not a fan of being licked. Chris hates it, so stout had to then learn who he could and couldn't lick!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 17:57 

Try not to worry about your puppy eating his food very quickly.This is a normal way for dogs to eat and will not harm him.Remember that all dogs started out as wild animals that we domesticated,if you watch any wildlife programme on TV if an animal makes a kill it will eat very quickly before any rivals arrive to try and take the meal.Of course our dogs are not under this meal time pressure but the hard wired instinct is still there.I am sure your Vet will put your mind at ease but it is a healthy way for your puppy to eat.My 8 month old puppy was the same and she has now calmed down.Try to remember that your puppy is an animal and not a human accepting that if we ate like our puppies we would be considered very strange.Try to make sure that after your puppy has eaten he has a period of quite time to rest and digest his food.Sounds like he is fine

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 18:51 

I'm not sure I agree with your there Harleyboy. Not all pups or dogs gulp their food, and those that do don't always stop when they are older. With breeds that are at a higher risk of bloat than others (such as poodle crosses) it is best to discourage gulping food (this from my vet, in case you are worried ;-) )

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 21:32 

I am with Bid on this one. I know stout has other food/stomach issues, but when he was gulping his kibble he would often throw it back up. Our vet recommended an anti gulp bowl. Obviously all pups are different and some may be able to cope with it. The wobbler also had the advantage that he was occupied while we ate, and we got some peace from our little monster!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 12:53 

Dude used to eat so fast that he would be sick then gobble that up too! One key thing to teach is "wait". As Suzy says, teach them to wait for your permission to do things. Get him to sit and wait a short distance away from wherever you put the bowl down, then say ok. Waite is, in my opinion a key command. We use it all the time. Dude has learned to be a polite dog. However, this takes lots of time and patience! The puppy books make you feel you should have cracked all the commands in no time! Dude really hated the "Down"command and wouldn't do it til he was around a year old! I think things sort of click, in their own time! Anny x

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 17:33 

Yes we too had lots of regurgitated meals which with a little pup you think it's ill and worry. You soon learn that it's when they've gobbled too fast, played like a loon after eating or had too much. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 18:47 

Tbh I find that making them wait for their food makes them gobble even more. They are all pretty good about meal times - all three have their place to eat, I put the bowl down, open the dog gate and they each dash to their bowls to eat. Beamish is the most enthusiastic of them all and he actually runs past Poppy's bowl to his without even looking at it! Poppy dithers and skips about and I have to tell her to go eat her dinner - she then takes anything like a duck wing out of her bowl to a mat and eats it there then come back to eat the rest. Daisy always tries to extract the tablets from her food which also slows her down, and I have to make sure I inspect her bowl before Beamish comes along to hoover up anything she has left i.e. the tablets!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 19:48 

Well not here- it's made a very greedy dog have the most lovely manners around food. She just sits while I prepare it and when I've put it down I say "ok" straight away. No torture involved. Not a lot different to waiting behind a gate really. X

xxx

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2015, 00:28 

Both of mine have also learnt to wait for their meals. Nice way to teach bit of self control and they get rather good reward too.
Probably as I am so slow they often now go lie down once they know food is being prepped and just keep beady eye out. If I go out the room one of them comes and collects me to remind me 'food time'