including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Food help
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 17:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 18:16
Posts: 2291
Location: Reading, Berkshire
So, we are trying to find stout some food he can eat that isn't frozen so that when we go away in the caravan the whole of the freezer and most of the fridge aren't taken up with dog food :roll:

We have tried barking heads and millies wolfheart turkey, both ended up with a grumbly tum after 2 days, which doesn't really make any sense as he is ok with all the ingredients, we decided it must be something to do with the fact that food is dry. We have just brought some wet wainrights grain free and symply turkey. We fed him the dry food (10% share) an hour before his raw (the remaining 90%), as we have been told not to feed kibble and raw in the same meal. Should we do the same with the wet food or is it not so much of an issue?

Thanks!

_________________
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Image

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Food help
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 22:08 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 20:30
Posts: 18705
Location: South Dorset
Tbh I think it's a myth that you can't feed dry and raw together, and it is mostly ignored these days. The reason was that dry food sits in the gut longer than raw, and that would give the bacteria in the raw food a chance to sit and multiply so your dog would get salmonella or campylobacter or anything else nasty in the raw meat. The argument against this is that research has shown that bones stay in the gut longer than dry food, and dogs are fine with that. Besides, most people in the UK feed human grade meat.

(Ziwipeak is always worth a look - allowing for allergies of course).

_________________
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Image
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Food help
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 23:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 18:16
Posts: 2291
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Thanks Bid (as always :D ). We also figured if we left a gap then if the kibble 'bounced' as sometimes it did, he wouldn't loose all his dinner, and the kibble went if his wobbler to stop him scoffing it. We think the issue has to be that the food is dry rather than wet, but not really sure why. None of the ingredients were anything he hasn't been having.

He had ziwipeak when he was poorly and we were trying to find him something to eat. We tried to get small amounts of a couple of things to try today, it seems 2 days is the make or break time, so just got enough to cover that as a trial. He is ok with the natures menu rabbit nuggets, we noticed they now have a dehydrated version of that, so that is next on the list, that will also tell us if it is dryness that is the problem!

_________________
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Image

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
| More


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group