including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 11:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Article:Raw feeders ,why are you feeding your dog like a cat
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 23:01 

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/ra ... like-cats/

I liked the article if only for it's novel opening approach.

From my side, my dogs seek out fruit/berries in the garden, so why not offer them this option.
Update oh i forgot and help themselves to veg if they get the chance.

Post subject: Re: Article:Raw feeders ,why are you feeding your dog like a
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 00:13 

Mine don't bother with the garden, Pollydoodle (especially since Ianto denuded it!) They sit in the kitchen and watch me.... :( They're worse than the guinea pigs we used to have, who 'Wheep, wheep, wheeped' every time we opened the fridge!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 00:18 

Coz he can eat all the things the article says to avoid!

Stout loves fruit and veg, his current favourite are the mini snack cucumbers i brought for the parrot :roll: . In fact he gets lots of the things the birds get (except grapes and oranges), and other bits of veg, especially carrots. He also helps himself to strawberries and raspberries out of the garden, and has been known to nick courgettes out of the basket when I am harvesting and not paying attention :lol: . He has natural instinct which has veg in it.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 22:34 

DogsNaturally are notoriously unreliable! This article seems to cherrypick information, for example they talk about the dogs teeth being suitable for chewing, but ignore the fact that their jaws can't move sideways like ours can.

Article aside though, I do feed some veg to Daisy & Beamish - they are a good source of antioxidents which animal products can't provide. Poppy won't eat any food that has veg in it. I do have to keep a close eye on them too, as veg sometimes makes their poo very sloppy.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 23:25 

Dude has raw carrot every lunch time and a piece of Apple. Both great for emptying those anal glands we find! :roll: He's also very partial to bananas!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 13:03 

Our dogs love banana. I didnt realise dogs eat fruit till we got Patch(who we lost last year).
Patch was a rescue and was found living rough at the back of a pub so we think he had survived on stuff the pub threw out. He would have done anything for melon skin and banana.
When we got Ted he picked the banana thing up off Patch and now Mabel will eat it although she looks like she is chewing a wasp!
Banana is a great way of getting pills into a dog just push the pill into it give the piece to the dog swallowed before they even realise.
They also like peas and green runner beans. Mabel likes carrots but Ted picks them out of his food if i give them any. They both love a bit of apple but I have been told not to give dogs to much apple as it can upset their tummies.
Ted doodle

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 17:03 

Oh yes! Bananas are THE way to get the nasty worming pills down :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 19:39 

Bananas are near rump steak this side. Soon as first skin splits, one large dood suddenly appears. OH laments he shall never again be able to have a whole babana for himself.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 20:02 

Our old rescue dog would scour the lawn for windfall apples... my main worry was wasps...

The doods love their fruit and veg - Wyre has just discovered banana; it certainly goes down better than raw heart! :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2016, 23:50 

Pollydoodle wrote:
Bananas are near rump steak this side. Soon as first skin splits, one large dood suddenly appears. OH laments he shall never again be able to have a whole babana for himself.

Poor Chris has the same problem, whenever he gets a banana, he has a very attentive doodle at his feet, and a parrot paying him lots of attention, so he usually only gets about two thirds of it. The worst is apples, by the time the parrot, Keets and stout have had some there isn't any left for the hoomans! I really am a soft touch so always give into the hungry doodle and parrot looks when I have fruit :roll: thankfully the keets are fussy and only like apple :lol:

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle