Coconut oil

Use this section to discuss pros and cons of variuous feeding regimes and other matters relating to nutrition
KatyM

Coconut oil

Post by KatyM » 09 Mar 2016, 12:07

I have just read an article about the benefits of coconut oil for dogs. It seems it is a great natural supplement for them with all kinds of health and general wellbeing benefits. I just wondered if any of you give your dogs coconut oil and if so which brand you would recommend. There was a great recipe for dog treats with coconut oil and sweet potatoes, they sounded good enough to eat!! :lol:

kobi&jazz

Re: Coconut oil

Post by kobi&jazz » 09 Mar 2016, 14:41

Hi Katy
I have used coconut oil for many things myself......skin moisturising, hair conditioner etc as well as baking and I give the doodle's a teaspoon roughly twice a week - they both lick it straight from the spoon :) .
The one I use is Tiana - a cold pressed extra virgin oil. I got mine from Holland and Barret but only because they had an offer on at the time, I am sure it can be purchased elsewhere.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Mar 2016, 19:06

I use it instead of butter. you soon get used to the taste and it's much better for you - but you can also get one which has been steamed to get rid of the taste for using as an oil in cooking. I get mine from a health food shop too - it's quite expensive, but lasts ages. I haven't given any to Lola, yet though!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Mar 2016, 19:08

Ok - just tried her with some and she loved it!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Mar 2016, 01:04

I've switched to hemp oil for my doods - it has a better ration of omega 3 and omega 6 than coconut oil.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 10 Mar 2016, 02:19

I bought Viridian organic raw coconut oil.
Doods love it off the spoon and i use it on my skin at times.