including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 09:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw Bones
PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 14:19 

Can anyone help clear up some things around raw bones for dogs chew on. I thought it was ok to give a raw bones such a knuckle bone from your butcher to your dog as long as you threw is away within a reasonable time to avoid bacteria growth.

However, I have read things on-line that tell me otherwise. Some say not to give them at all as they cause pancreatitis and be bad for teeth, some say they need to be frozen for a good length of time before you give them to your dog. Others even suggest boiling them first to get rid of e-coli but surely they will splinter!

Also, is it ok to give a puppy a manageable size bone at 12 weeks.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Raw Bones
PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 14:46 

Hello

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm little more than a novice myself.....

I understand that raw bones are fine as long as they are not from weight-bearing parts of the body, due to potential tooth damage.

We give our two raw chicken wings and if you have a Morrisons near you, the butchers do a pack of lamb ribs or meaty bones (cow ribs). We always take the latter away before they get too small as they could become a choking hazard. The former ones they just crunch up and eat.

Hope this helps.
X

PostPosted: 12 May 2016, 00:03 

Yes - 12 weeks is fine to have a bone. Raw bones are great - as mentioned - non weight-bearing bones are good. Some fatty bones would be best avoided if pancreatitis is an issue.

I usually let them have their bones for half an hourk then put them wrapped in the fridge and give them again the following day. For a young pup I remove a lot of the marrow from a knuckle bone, but chicken wings and duck wings are fine whole.

PostPosted: 12 May 2016, 21:11 

Ours love the raw meaty bones from Morrisons... but I have stopped giving them to the pup as he's got possessive about them. I get the rib-type ones rather than weight-bearing ones and also take them away when they get down to about two inches in case Iant decides to try and swallow it whole... There is a needle-sharp bone in one of the chicken ones (is it the drumstick?) I can't remember off-hand, but it needs to be removed just in case it's swallowed...
I've been advised that all raw meat should be frozen for three days before feeding, but have to admit that I just give bones straight off....
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 08:23 

Thank you everyone.