including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 03:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: More Food Advice
PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 08:58 

Sorry to bombard this page with questions. We pick our pup up in a matter of days now and she is on Simpsons Premium puppy food which I understand is a good brand. Eventually, I would like to move to a raw diet or at least a partly raw diet but won't attempt that for a while yet so will keep her on Simpsons until that time comes.

I would like to suppliment her meals with some other foods such as fish, eggs and veg but have a few questions. Is it ok to just crack an egg on top of her dry food? Is it ok to feed canned fish (I was thinking the ones tinned in tom sauce)? And is raw veg ok?

I want to make sure she has the best and most varied diet i can give her so any other suggestions of foods she can have until we take on the raw diet have would be greatly appreciated. I am going to give her some raw bones.

Post subject: Re: More Food Advice
PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 10:24 

Kobi & Jazz have been on Simpson adult food for quite some time now and I find it to be excellent for them both - I reduce kibble amount and add Forthglades complimentary wet food. They also get sardines in tom sauce once or twice a week with the kibble. I have never given raw egg but sure someone on here can advise. They both love veg - raw and steamed. When preparing the veg for humans, they both sit waiting for the odd raw sprout, carrot cubes, swede etc which gets thrown into the garden for them to 'go find', and again in the evening I will give them steamed veg with their kibble. They also enjoy banana's, pears and melon but refuse to eat cucumber :)

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 10:52 

In theory most kibble are a so called 'complete' meal in themselves so nothing else is needed.
You can start to switch to raw after your pup has settled with you, couple of weeks I imagine at most.
Sardine in tom sauce check what is in the sauce,think I recall high salt but may be wrong. I feed sardine in oil, drained
Raw veg is great they definitely like the crunchy veg and my girl likes blueberries or any soft fruit. Guess you know definitely no grapes as some react. The boy even eats clementine , well anything tbh.
Raw egg is good. For novelty I give whole takes them longer to eat it initially til they fathom out egg = crunch immediately. For pup you may want to crack it to start

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 22:08 

:) Hello from us.
As Michelle mentioned Grapes as a no no, I thought you might find it useful to Google "Foods and plants poisonous to dogs" if you haven't already done so.
I think you will be surprised at some of the everyday foods that can be detrimental to our dogs.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your pup once you have her at home.

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 00:27 

I agree with Pollydoodle - a complete food has everything your pup needs, and when they are growing it is important that the balance isnt upset - imbalances can really affect growth. The calcium/phosphorous balance is particularly important for bone development, so if adding bones to the diet bear that in mind (knuckle bones for leisure purposes are one thing, but bones that a dog may eat such as chicken carcasses will affect the balance).

You could give a raw meal and a complete meal in the same day if you don't want to switch completely to raw at first.

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 08:22 

Thank you all. And thank you for pointing out about the balance. Good point. My last dog just ate her prescribed kibble as she had allergies/digestive issues and what was very well on it. But the more I read about raw feeding the more than I want to give it to this pup. But there's a lot to get your head round! Thanks for the google suggestion linny!

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 11:32 

It's not all that hard to feed raw, and you can get some good raw complete meals too if you don't want to prepare your own. Mine love their raw food, and it feels much better to be giving them actual food than it did feeding a dry complete.

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 12:33 

I have spent most the morning reading and am just about to place an order with Natural Instinct. It's a ready prepared meal as Bid mentioned which suits our life style better than me preparing it. Plus touching raw meat gives me the hebbie jebbies!

Going to take the pluge and introduce it sooner than I was going to but will still be doing breakfast as a a permium kibble.