including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight
PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 20:32 

Strange query for a doodle I realise nonetheless any thoughts on keeping the weight ON a doodle?
Healthy active doodle often on the go. We have fairly large garden and so happily toodles off investigating on own accord. Always at a trot or more never an amble. Suspect the reason why so slim.
Is the simple solution to feed a lunch time small meal in addition to other meals? Too larger a portion in one meal brlieve has undesirable consequences.
Are there specific foods I should be aiming to feed,eg fatty mince?
Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Weight
PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 23:15 

I have a slim girlie - she is poodley in build, and I have always had labs so it seems unnatural to me, but is actually how she should be. She only eats what she needs which again seems wierd to a lab owner - are you sure you do have a weight problem to deal with?

If you do, tripe is a good one for putting on weight in a healthy way, and if you don't want to feed anything raw, lamb is also good.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 00:12 

Thanks Bid. He is slim, yet big boned. Can feel his hip bones protrude more than would like to when feeling along the spine, if that makes sense. He'd happily eat everything all day. Is it green tripe that is best?
Going to be fun as 'madam'( err both of us!) needs to lose weight, she'll definitely notice she is missing out. Problem likely would be solved if she chased the squirrels up the trees and he lay snoozing waiting for a tummy rub. :roll:

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 18:38 

Yes green tripe - lovely! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 11:32 

We have exactly the same "issue" with Dude, how to make him less skinny! Upping the kibble doesn't work as it just means squishy poo :roll:
Last week the groomer said " I think Dude has lost weight" and, indeed, with his summer clip his hip bones protrude and I can feel his back bone. He too is a poodly doodle, standing 25ins and currently weighing around 23kg.
We asked the vet who isn't worried and said " healthy young male". We have fairly recently been on holiday in Cornwall and Dude was doing 7 mile walks with husband so perhaps that explains it.
When he was a year old he weighed 27kg but I suspect he's more active now( in terms of off lead long walks)
He would eat all day if I let him but I'm now giving him some beef mince as a mid day treat. My 89 year old mother says I should make meat balls using raw beef mince, an egg, oats and chopped cooked veg! No doubt D would love them but is that a good idea? I probably shouldn't doubt her, she's usually right! :lol: Anny

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 14:42 

My boney bum ( hah i wish!) My dood's boney bum and other parts weigh in at around 35kg last time I checked, think he is 28inch. We like your mom,yet sure Dude loooves your mom more. :D Mince balls sound nice idea, oats I often see folks feed to working dogs and well egg is also good for our doods. My dogs love veg and some fruit, always a race for the strawbs :roll: :lol:
I'm on the fence re cooked (1 min steam) vs raw veg.Theory was cooked allowed dog to digest nutrient or something like this.Yet feeding raw veg regularly I do not notice(like you do sweetcorn eww nice graphic image there) any undigested carrot, courgette or butternut pass through.
Fancy doubting your mom though!

Ps:Dude, sent me a msg, says deffo try the minceballs for at least two weeks 8)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 16:35 

Aha! That explains the paw prints on the keyboard! I think mince balls could become a regular lunchtime treat! :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 16:57 

Just give him the raw mince - and egg if it doesn't make him loose. He can do without the oats, and the veg won't add to his weight.

I think in general we have got used to seeing fat dogs as normal, and when we see a healthy slim dog we think it is starving :lol: :lol:

I have just checked my skinny minny, and found she has put on a sneaky layer of middle age spread!