including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 09:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chicken & rice to help tummy-but how much?
PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 14:25 

Hi all

My little Ted is 8.5 weeks old and since we got him in Friday his pops have gone soft.

I put him on boiled chicken and rice on Sunday and although they aren't as runny as water anymore they are still soft.

I took him to the vet to have him checked over (I had booked the appointment anyway) and I mentioned his poorly tummy and they have given me some paste to help but They didn't tell me what grams of chicken and rice to use, they told me his weight which is 2.34kg and estimate he will be 15/16kg when full grown and told me to look at the back of the dog food packet to see how much of that I should be feeding him but obviously there is nothing at the back of a bag of rice for puppies.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is there a website that tells you how many calories puppies should be eating?

Many thanks
Haylie & Ted

Post subject: Re: Chicken & rice to help tummy-but how much?
PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 15:00 

Hello Haylie and Ted

Welcome to the forum. But photos please!!!!!.......we love looking at puppy photos here!!

I'm not one of the more experienced doggie peeps but my first thought was what food is he eating now?

It's a real eye opener if you visit allaboutdogfood.co.uk. The website gives ratings and ingredients on all the different types of food. A lot of the stuff is rubbish and maybe he is reacting to some of the ingredients, such as grains.

Knowing what I know now, I have switched to Eden kibble with some Lilys Kitchen tins as a topper. Eden has a great customer service department which will answer any queries you have about suggested feeding amounts. They have their own Facebook page where an advisor will reply. The cost is very reasonable too.

Worth having a look.....hope Ted feels better soon.

X

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 15:15 

I'm not too sure of the quantities and m no expert but obviously not a lot. What food are you feeding him on and is it the same as the breeder gave you. If you look at the website of the food you have that is usually more helpful than the vet or the back of the packs, although some of the food I tried Lulu on gave the weight of the dog. Also how many meals is he on? Sometimes runny poos mean over eating. Also if you give him any treats that should go towRds their daily allowance of food.

Ask away, I found the forum very invaluable when I first got Lulu

Of course photos are a must

ImageImage

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 16:40 

I had a similar problem with my 2. I found out after following the vets advice and feeding chicken & rice that they were both intolerant to rice. They improved quickly when I fed boiled chicken and sweet potato. After a search of the internet I opted for Millie's Wolfheart which has suited them the upset tummies disappeared after a couple of days and so far haven't returned - that was about 12 months ago.
As for the amount to feed them I just guessed at about the same amount in volume as the dry kibble. It doesn't seem to have harmed them!
I hope that Ted picks up soon, I well remember the feeling of helplessness and panic, they are so smal and reliant on you. Enjoy the puppy days, try not to get too stressed, they aren't little for long.

Olly, Echo & Whisper.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 17:08 

Hi thanks for your replies, I'm not sure on how to post a phot yet I'm using my phone to post (hence the typos!)

He was on fish4dogs (puppy version) dry food mixed with wet Naturediet food which the breeder gave us. His poo was fine when he first came home so it's something I'm doing wrong. He eats 3 times a day, when toilet training I was feeding him cut up hot dog sausages as suggested by the breeder but I have stopped this since he got poorly and gone on to dry fish4dogs treats which he likes and he loves carrots which is good because it's healthier.

Looking at the back of the pack I do think I was feeding him too much and will weigh everything when I introduce this food back after the chicken and rice.

After I posted I read up on how many calories he needs so I could weigh out the chicken and rice and apparently it's 70kcal per kg x 0.75 x 2 (good job I'm an accountant!)

I will look at the website above and read up on the best foods (my boy has a better diet than me and he's only 8 weeks!)

Thanks for the morale support too, much appreciated!

I will try and upload a photo now.

Haylie & Ted

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 17:27 

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 17:33 

What a little cutie.

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 17:34 

AAww! You've got one beautiful pup!
X

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 20:43 

Thank you x