including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 16:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Swapping over from kibble to raw
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 18:33 

I have been thinking about feeding Daisy a commercial raw food (Luna and Me) instead of her kibble (Canagan). Luna seem to be having trouble with delivery at the moment and so I thought I would test out a different one (natures..something) that I could buy locally.
It seems to be advised that you swap straight over, or at least one meal of each for a few days. I didn't think she had a particularly sensitive system but this morning she had a quarter of the daily feed of the raw and threw it all back up. She didn't even attempt to eat it up before i got to it and when i offered her some more at lunchtime she didn't eat it. I gave her the kibble this evening and that has gone down and stayed down.
I was wondering what everyone else would do now. Should i persist tomorrow, mix her kibble with the raw or just give up and except the canagan is a good dog food. Any advice welcome.

Post subject: Re: Swapping over from kibble to raw
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 19:47 

Was this her first go at raw or had she been having the Luna already? Do you know what meat was in the one you gave her. It is sometimes recommended that you start off with just one protein (usually tripe if you can bear the smell, otherwise chicken) and see how they are on that, then gradually introduce other proteins avery few days.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 21:20 

IT was her first time with raw. She has had some tinned dog food before. This was very thick - it Woukd have been hard to spread so perhaps this didn't help. It was a mix of protein too. I will give a single protein a go and try to do it slowly. I just assumed it would be fine.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 21:55 

Hi, when we started I gave a chicken wing snack to see what happened, if anything. Tesco cheapie pack of wings so were convenient too. One dood took a while licking it, staring at whilst the dood wolfed it down. Have also had a time when he ate so quickly it all came back, he took his time re-eating. :roll: These days they eat anything without issues including my blooming raspberries and figs!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 22:04 

I gave her a chicken wing today and that came up as well. She didn't attempt to re eat it. I will try again though - I just need her to realise she hails from wolves...

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 23:04 

We just swapped stout straight over, but he was having issues with kibble. We started him with a single protein. If it's not a daft question is she already having chicken? Stout always threw up chicken wings, and he was always sick when he ate too quickly (he eats his raw food slowly, and now doesn't have chicken). We have to stir his probiotics into his mince so it gets squished down into his bowl which I think makes him eat it slower.

Stout has natural instinct, he used to have the chicken one, then suddenly he would sniff it and not eat it, is she normally happy to eat anything or can she be fussy?

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 10:31 

As you may have seen (Toying with raw) we are also thinking of changing Dude from kibble ( Canagan) Our main reason is that we can't seem to increase his weight by increasing the kibble. So far we have successfully been giving him a helping of raw beef mince every day for lunch. He scoffs the lot and doesn't bring any back! However, he doesn't tolerate chicken in any form so we wouldn't try wings. I wondered what your reason for changing to raw was? I'm still debating about which way to go. As I say, in Dudes case it's all about building him up a bit and I hoped if he was happy on raw then perhaps he could tolerate bigger portions. Anny

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 19:21 

We5kings - thanks for your response. I was thinking about changing her over as I want to give her the best nutrition I can . I draw the line at doing it from scratch and thought raw frozen commercial food would be the answer. I don't know if I am wasting my time as the debate over which food is very confusing.
Stout - she was having chicken already. I think perhaps she isn't used to having real chicken bones, skin etc. Today I gave her half kibble, half natures instinct and mixed it with a little warm water to soften it and it's gone down a treat. The raw food is very stiff so perhaps she needs to get used to something other than kibble shapes in her stomach.

I'm not sure if raw feeding is just the latest fad but it makes sense so I shall see how she gets on. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 21:32 

Unexpected bonus of raw feeding - Daisy now has the most delightful, small, hard poops! They are almost a joy to pick up. :lol: