including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 07:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixer biscuits?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 12:08 

Does anyone on here uses Natures Harvest mixer biscuits?
We recently moved Dude from Canagan kibble to Forthglade complete meals. Partly because our vet said Dude was too skinny at 25kg( although I can't say I agreed) and partly because his poos were squishy.
Now we find he has actually lost weight on Forthglade wet complete and it has been suggested we should add a mixer Biscuit to the wet food. I have a friend who swears by Natures Harvest mixer. Is it good?
I'm sorry to be back on the topic of Dude food again! I know you've all been very helpful about changing to raw.... which we didn't do. Anny

Post subject: Re: Mixer biscuits?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 12:17 

Sorry. I can't help with the mixer biscuit question but just wondering... did you find his poos less squishy after changing?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 15:48 

Yes! At first it was like a miracle, with the poos becoming tiny and firm and twice daily. We've been giving the grain free Forthglade, alternating between the lamb and the salmon varieties. It's taken awhile to get amounts right...when I give too much we get a nasty squishy poo :roll: So I give him just under 2packs a day divided into 3meals.
Apologies if this is too detailed. Anny

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 00:46 

Hmm,am not much help but why does mixer biscuits feel like a marketing con. Odd they sell 'complete meals' then say,ohhh add this too!

One thing is if you happy with his weight I would not bother.

Likely you tried this already, only add teaspoon extra per day so real slow build up to his in take. I find I am sometimes too quick to add more, impatient to see result. Other thought if you have kibble left over use then small amounts to scatter for 'find its' in the day so he is getting little more.Or a raw egg on occasion, let him eat the shell too.
Failing all that sure Dude would not say no to a juicy steak or two!

BTW Forthglade used to make P@home Wainwright's when i checked eons ago.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 22:16 

Natures Harvest mixer (and most mixers in fact) is just a load of carbs. Dogs don't use carbs for energy as we do, they convert fat instead - they can process them through fermentation using bacteria, but they are not designed to digest them. If the food you are feeding is a balanced complete, adding something else in any quantity will upset the balance, so I agree with Pollydoodle - if you want him to put on weight, just add more of the complete food., a little at a time.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 15:37 

Excellent advice as always, thankyou. I haven't bought mixer biscuits, because it did feel a bit unnecessary. Good point about gradually increasing the food. And, yes, the leftover Canagan kibble is now being used for treats :lol: We've always joked that poor Dude has a Labs appetite but a Poodles sensitive tummy! Forthglade does seem to suit him very well, so I will follow your advice. Anny