including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 03:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Grain Free, hypoallergenic, dry complete food?
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 17:56 

I have a 4 month Australian mini labradoodle. I bought her James Wellbeloved as told to by the breeder but her fur smelt like the food. Friends have told me that maybe I should try grain free so this week I have changed it to Canagan. She isn't really motivated by food and she still smells slightly. More importantly is it normal for them to burp a lot?! No bottom burps though and all other bodily functions normal. I thought changing the food would help but she's just the same. So really I would like to know which is the best food to feed my little baby!! Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Which Grain Free, hypoallergenic, dry complete food?
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 20:20 

Hi Titchytash,
Both of my doods are sensitive to grain. I had real problems with them in the first couple of weeks. After trying a few different makes of food they are happily settled on Millie's Wolfheart Countryside mix. They have had that for almost 18 months now and are healthy. They are both food motivated now though they would hardly eat anything for the first month.
Millie's isn't cheap but the food is good, the ordering is straightforward and the delivery speedy.
I am not sure about the fur smelling of food, my pair usually have a different aroma.Usually after they have rolled in something on their walk :roll:
Olly, Echo & Whisper

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 09:42 

Hello, I use Millies wolfheart too. I contacted them and they gave advice about which food to use, as Bertie had struggled constantly with ear infections and loose smelly stools. Bertie loves it and it suits him, rarely does he have any problems with his ears now, his coat is much nicer. Lately a little problem with his stools but I have changed the kind of food he has (on advice from Millies) and it seems to be working.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 18:57 

I was having an issue with my puppy with Royal Canin the breeder was feeding him on. With runny poos and lots of them. I have tried Millies Wolfheart Countryside, which Ruby liked but the kibbles were rather large and difficult for the 12 week old puppy. The poos improved (a little) but, there were very smelly. A friend suggested Canagan, I spoke to the company and they recommended their free range chicken food for my puppy. Whilst it's only been a few days, there is a marked improvement, firm poos, not very smelly and the puppy likes the smaller sized kibbles. Whilst it's not a cheap brand, they do appear to have good reviews for the ingredients. More importantly, my puppy likes the food.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 09:31 

Hello!

Congrats on your new puppy!

I have tried a few premium brands. Orijen, Acana, Lily's Kitchen, Barking Heads, Fish 4 Fogs, Eden, Taste of the wild, Canelove and Devoted.

All seem good, but out of everything, I have now settled on Canagan wet food (1/2 can each a day) and Devoted kibble. Their coats are glossy, poos firm and they are glowing with health. They also both love their food.

I also supplement this a couple of times a week with Morrisons 'Meaty Bones' these are cow ribs found in the butchery department. They are good for their teeth and also brilliant for their bowels. Be careful which bones you buy, as weight bearing bones (like legs) can break teeth.

BTW, Who was your breeder?

Good luck!

X

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 15:25 

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to stick with Canagan chicken kibble for the time being as it seems to suit Ruby. Just got to get her trained to do her business outside (but, that's another story)

The breeder was Joanna Johnson from Trentdale from North Lincs.