including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 10:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dude weight, again!
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 13:05 

You will be tired of me talking about weight again, but Dude has dropped to 22.50kg. He's been doing well on Forthglade since October but since early December a familiar pattern has emerged and we are back to the situation we've had with other foods : if I up the quantity we get horrid squashy poo. The advice from the vet to " Just give more food" never works.
Today I took Dude to the vet and he seemed a bit more concerned than usual saying we should keep tracking his weight for another month and then they'll do bloods. I gave them a weight graph I'd done over the weekend so they could see, since 2014, the ups and downs. At his heaviest in 2014 he was over 27kg .
The vet wasn't helpful about how to get weight on him and was very negative when I said I would change Dude to RAW. To be honest I am just worried about the weight loss and would feed him anything if it satisfied him and kept weight on without upsetting his tum! Anny

Post subject: Re: Dude weight, again!
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 14:28 

Hello Anny

My sister had a dangerously thin cockapoo with a similar issue with soft poos, if she increased the amount of food she fed. He was on Eden and Lily's kitchen tinned as a topper. Eden is 80% meat and 20% veg/herbs. A canine nutritionist suggested she tried a lower protein dried food with more veg with forthglade as a topper, so she switched to acana. He has put on over kilo and his poos are perfect. 1kg is more than 10% of his body weight to put things into context. Good luck!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 21:41 

Thankyou! Now that's a very helpful reply, 100 x more useful than visiting the vet :roll: I will do some googling to see if Acana is for sale near us. As I say, my main aim is to build Dude up without upsetting his tum.
Another friend has suggested I should try giving him Dorwest Tree Bark powder on his food to firm up the poo and aid absorption. Has anyone used this? And what about a probiotic?
I should add that Dude seems well and energetic and totally oblivious to the worries he causes us :lol: Anny

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 21:58 

Hi again Anny

She buys it online here. It's from the makers of Orijen and is grain free. It's basically the same but with less protein. You can get discount codes for Zooplus from time to time
Here is one for 5% off

5prukaff

X

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/acana

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017, 10:53 

Thankyou Annie, will order a small bag to add to Forthglade.
I've also ordered a probiotic. And this morning I gave him a small amount of uncooked porridge with his bfast which we always used to do with other dogs years ago. Anny

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 08:17 

Stout's weight really fluctuates depending on how his belly is. He is a bit more on the tubby side so he can put weight on so we have to keep an eye on it. We have had real battles with vets over feeding him raw, but for whatever reason his belly cannot tolerate dry food. We give him pre and probiotic powder twice a day and a spoon of honey to calm his belly. We also feed him four smaller meals rather than 2 larger ones if he has a bad belly, just a thought, if you upped his food and gave him more meals maybe his system would be able to deal with it? The powder we use is from the vets and not cheap (but is covered on insurance as it is classed as a medicine), he can't have the paste as it is thickened with cornflour and he really can't tolerate maize.

Hope you come up with a solution soon!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 11:35 

Thankyou Michelle, we have similar doodles don't we!
Re the raw food my assumption is vets don't like it because they like to sell dry food in their receptions!
Last week I was in touch with the very helpful lady who makes Luna and me raw patties ( they look like human burgers) I only have a 3drawer freezer so these might work re storage. She was very helpful but didn't have ideas about fattening up a skinny dog. Actually she felt slim was good! But this was before I had done a weight chart and seen that Dude had lost quite a lot in the last few months. I feel if I can stabilise his weight then that'll be fine.
Since seeing the vet, and since posting on here, other people have said I could bulk him up with: cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, canned fish,sweet potatoes and yoghurt! I'm sure he would like all of those! I guess if we go raw he can have lots of extras too.
Going to 4meals sounds like a good idea. He's on 3 at the moment. Poor Dude always seems hungry, I'm sure he would eat all day long! Anny

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2017, 18:01 

What Forthglade meat are you feeding? Sometimes all you need to do is change the meat, for eample the duck food wil have more fat that the chicken one.

SOmething to bear in mind, is that to get the real protein value, don't look at the ingredients, look at the analysis breakdown, because if you are feeding the wet Forthglade a lot of that will be water, for example, the Acana Wild Coast dry complete lists the protein in the ingredients as 44%, but in the analysis this is actually 29%. If you then do the same with Forthglade Salmon the ingredients list it as 75% salmon, but in the analysis it has just 10% protein - so actually way less than the acana.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 10:55 

That's a v interesting point Bid. We alternate between the Lamb, salmon or white fish Forthglade trays. Wet food clearly has a lot of water because since changing from kibble to wet trays Dude hardly drinks water at all. In a sense, wet food would be a better option for an overweight dog!
I have ordered some raw patties from Luna and Me and also a bag of Acana ( delays there because we need one without chicken and the beef is out of stock) I've also got a probiotic.
I will try one thing at a time as several people have told me not to mix raw with processed. Anny

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 12:55 

The universe and Dude's ribs are telling you to feed raw :wink: :roll: :lol:
Jokes apart hope you find what works for him and you phaps the single protein will do the trick this time.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 19:05 

Yes Pollydoodle, I'm sure u are right :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 11:12 

Quick update, we are now on week 2of feeding Dude raw Luna+Me patties and the change is wonderful! All poos are tiny and firm and his weight has stabilised( early days) The big surprise is he can eat ALL of the range of patties including chicken! :shock: I wish I'd been brave enough to change to RAW sooner, but your comments have been v encouraging.
I've had lots of help re quantities etc from Sammy at Luna+Me. He's having 6 patties a day divided into 3meals plus a dusting of probiotic. The only negative is he's waking earlier and is bouncier than ever :lol:
So far so good. The patties fit into a drawer of my freezer and delivery is fantastic, Fingers crossed for the future. Anny+Dude

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 11:43 

Great to hear Anny!

What suits one dog, doesn't necessarily suit another. They're all different.
Xx

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 21:34 

That's fab news :D glad raw food seems to suit Dude, it amazing how quickly you see a difference if it suits them :D

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 11:09 

I must admit I took a very belts+braces approach, ordering a range of types of food! Just in case RAW didn't work :roll: But now I know that the Luna+Me suits him so well we will be sticking with it. The thing I'm most surprised by is that he's totally fine with chicken! We had always assumed he couldn't tolerate fowl, based on bad reactions to chicken kibble and treats over the years. Hey ho, you never stop learning do you! :lol: Anny