including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 08:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - help!
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 18:23 
Offline

Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 09:39
Posts: 11
So Stanley is 9 months old and from the day we got him he has been insatiable. He has a slow feed bowl and gobbles all the food down we give him in seconds. He eats everything in sight and even after feeding the recommended amount will head straight out to the garden to eat sticks, soil, grass, flowers, his own poop or our other dogs poop! Whilst indoors if left alone he will literally eat ( not just chew) anything including tea towels dish cloths and every dog toy we ever gave him. He is wormed regularly and was castrated a few weeks ago and the vet says there’s no underlying health issues. He is currently on James Wellbeloved but am wondering if a change in diet may help or if it’s just the bottomless pit Labrador side of him and we just have to accept it, poop eating and all! Advice please? The constant grazing etc also means if we let him in the garden we are either chasing him around to stop him or if we leave him alone he eats so much he poops in the house at night. I am probably now going to crate train him to see if that helps with this but as he doesn’t seem bothered by his own mess not sure that will help, anyway, lots of problems but anyone got advice? Thanks x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 21:31 
Offline

Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 18:36
Posts: 2197
Out of curiosity has he ever had tummy trouble. Anyway I would change his food, over few days, go for best you can afford with as higher protein content available. I feed raw now so not too clued up on latest best dry food suffice to loads of new on market in this mega bucks industry.
Have you tried feeding 3-5 meals a day instead of 2.
Good luck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 22:34 
Offline

Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 09:39
Posts: 11
Pollydoodle wrote:
Out of curiosity has he ever had tummy trouble. Anyway I would change his food, over few days, go for best you can afford with as higher protein content available. I feed raw now so not too clued up on latest best dry food suffice to loads of new on market in this mega bucks industry.
Have you tried feeding 3-5 meals a day instead of 2.
Good luck


No, never had stomach problems. He even ate a sparrow whole at 12 weeks old. The vet couldn’t believe it didn’t make him ill. His poops are often full of what he’s eaten but they’re always solid and he’s never even been off colour! Unbelievable really that he hasn’t ended up having something stuck and needing surgery. We’ve tried muzzles to stop him but he just pulls them off.

We used to feed 3 meals a day and cut down to 2 as have another dog and it made sense but he was always like this regardless.

Yes I was thinking higher protein. I’m interested in raw feed but daunted by it at his age and with all the other problems we have with him at the moment. Thanks for your reply.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 00:13 
Offline

Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 18:36
Posts: 2197
Me again :roll: bugging me this. Did the vet do a blood test to say all is good or is it one of those dismissive type vets? You mention ‘all the other problems’ is there something else besides his hoovering every/anything?

If was me,definitely wouldn’t chase him in the garden as may become a thrill in itself and a way to get more of your attention. Is it possible to do more/lots of short, fun training sessions with him to tire him mentally and physically. Part of me wonders if he is ‘entertaining’ himself but equally wonder if something else underlying adding to this behaviour.
BTW I felt the same about raw for eons, then started out with odd raw chicken wing and went from their. Try whatever food is easiest for you to manage. I feed complete wet food when I forget the other food.
Hang in there and would love to read if food helped at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 06:34 
Offline

Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 09:39
Posts: 11
Pollydoodle wrote:
Me again :roll: bugging me this. Did the vet do a blood test to say all is good or is it one of those dismissive type vets? You mention ‘all the other problems’ is there something else besides his hoovering every/anything?

If was me,definitely wouldn’t chase him in the garden as may become a thrill in itself and a way to get more of your attention. Is it possible to do more/lots of short, fun training sessions with him to tire him mentally and physically. Part of me wonders if he is ‘entertaining’ himself but equally wonder if something else underlying adding to this behaviour.
BTW I felt the same about raw for eons, then started out with odd raw chicken wing and went from their. Try whatever food is easiest for you to manage. I feed complete wet food when I forget the other food.
Hang in there and would love to read if food helped at all.


Hi again :) my use of the phrase ‘chase’ wasn’t literal although we’ve done that when he’s got something potentially harmful. We take him training every week and he’s willfull but gets it. Our trainer said from a very early age that we would need a lot of patience and perseverance with Stanley as he is very strong minded, he wasn’t wrong. We make him sit and command leave if he has something he shouldn’t and we see him and you can see his mind fighting with himself but ultimately he will run off with it if he can. It’s not a matter of attention either as if we let him out and watch him through the window without him seeing he would just find things to eat for ages.

The vet didn’t do blood tests but we told him everything going on and he thinks it’s just the Labrador greed. He examined him thoroughly and he sees him most months when I go in to get wormer and flea stuff etc.

Maybe problems was the wrong word, Stanley is just Stanley. The main issue is pooping and peeing in the house. Every night. We’ve tried everything except the crate. My husband has never crated his dogs so didn’t want to, I did, sometimes you don’t win the argument lol. I have now ordered a crate. I’m not massively pinning my hopes on it as the theory is a dog diesntc like to mess in their bed. Stanley dies it in the kitchen at night and then drags it into his bed to eat it! At this stage though, I will try anything. The other things are just irritations I think but clearing up mess in your house every morning at 5.30am is making it all seem worse. He’s very dominant to our other dog and despite being pretty good in training class is hideous towards other dogs when out. We just seem to be still working on puppy issues at 9 months old that I thought might be improving with the training we put in etc he jumps up at everyone and still wants to bite all the time despite us ignoring him, turning our backs, saying down, etc etc it’s just never ending.

We love him to pieces but we are very tired at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 16:41 
Offline

Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 13:50
Posts: 3326
Location: Waltham Abbey
I’m not much help but my friends golden retriever would eat anything and everything but it stopped on his own accord. Also can you put him on a long line in the garden so you can pull him away with the correct command and give him a high value treat. One of my dogs is crate trained the other is not. I didn’t like a crate but I do now. It’s a wonderful invention :lol: :lol:

_________________
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 07:12 
Offline

Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 09:39
Posts: 11
Doodle Dee wrote:
I’m not much help but my friends golden retriever would eat anything and everything but it stopped on his own accord. Also can you put him on a long line in the garden so you can pull him away with the correct command and give him a high value treat. One of my dogs is crate trained the other is not. I didn’t like a crate but I do now. It’s a wonderful invention :lol: :lol:


Oh no, just a reply helps! Thank you.

Yes we keep hoping there’s going to be this turning point but are doing everything we feel we can to improve things. It’s hard when you’re in the middle of something to see an end but wouldn’t it be lovely to wake up one morning and he was clean and not eating his own poop! Maybe there is hope lol

Yes we have done the lead thing but he doesn’t really get it so won’t poop! Been out there ages with him and it stops the eating but doesn’t help with the messing in the house.

I have been reading up on crate training and know it’s not going to be easy or quick, not even sure if it will help or how he will react to our other dog being ‘free’ but we are literally ready to try anything. Thanks for your response!!! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 23:02 
Offline

Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 18:36
Posts: 2197
Hi, how’s it going. Did you get a chance to change his food or try the crate. Would his doing business in the kitchen be a form of anxiety perhaps. Is he otherwise happy to be left on own.
I couldn’t agree more coming down in the morning to mess is particularly unpleasant, clearly up sick on the odd occasion is bad enough.
Hope you are seeing some progress. Hang in there


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nutritious diet advice for greedy mini labradoodle - hel
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 06:21 
Offline

Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 09:39
Posts: 11
Pollydoodle wrote:
Hi, how’s it going. Did you get a chance to change his food or try the crate. Would his doing business in the kitchen be a form of anxiety perhaps. Is he otherwise happy to be left on own.
I couldn’t agree more coming down in the morning to mess is particularly unpleasant, clearly up sick on the odd occasion is bad enough.
Hope you are seeing some progress. Hang in there


Bless you and thanks so much for checking in with me. So I’ve changed his feed to Canine Choice which has no grain and a higher meat content. Not sure if it’s made any difference to the scavenging thing as think that’s just the labradoodle perhaps but feel happier knowing he’s getting a better quality food anyway.

So yes we have the crate now. Had it in the house a couple of weeks and fed him in it, all toys and treats in there etc. We’d been putting him in for short periods of time while we were in the house but on Saturday we went out for 2 hours and came back no mess. So decided to bit the bullet Saturday night and we have just completed two short trips out leaving him and two nights. First night he cried on and off for half hour then went all night til 5.30 (that’s his usual morning wake up anyway) last night not so great as he started wining about 4am this morning on and off til we got up at 5.30. Both nights clean! :D I was concerned that he was crying this morning cos he’d messed or was desperate but I know he can go all night so decided to be strong and presume this was typical stanley noisy behaviour and all was well! Straight out in the garden for a wee, food then a poop in the garden straight away. Both on the lead to stop him barking at stupid o’clock and in case he was going to try and graze or eat his own poop.
We’ve had both dogs on pineapple for the past few days too but not sure if that’s making any difference yet as sure he would still eat it given half the chance.
Anyway, so far so good. I have learnt with Stan though not to get too pleased too soon as often we think there’s progress and we go backwards but I’m pleased so far and amazed knowing how dirty he can be that there’s been no mess which was our main problem. Fingers crossed we can build on this and there’s light at the end of the tunnel!
Thanks for caring and everyone’s input xx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
| More


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group