Tall Chocolate Miniature Poodle Stud

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
freedom

Post by freedom » 03 Mar 2007, 20:18

but one interesting test they they did was to sit either side of her and pat their hands firmly all over her body to see if she was "skin-reactive" - a big no-no, apparently, in guide dog training.
Eleanor, what does this involve/mean.

eleanor

Post by eleanor » 06 Mar 2007, 14:04

Hi Freedom

To the best of my recollection, the guide dog assessors sat at my dining room table with my bitch sitting between them - eyeing the plate of sandwiches on the table, actually! - while they simultaneously patted her all over from head to tail, including under her tummy. They were obviously looking for signs of aggression or resentment, but they told me that they were also on the alert for "skin sensitivity" - where the dog itself does not mind the treatment, but the skin twitches at the touch. This is apparently a hereditary characteristic and dogs who have it are not suitable for harness training.

At the time, it was all a bit of a mystery to me, but since then I have acquired a skin sensitive dog. One of my current Labs, of pure FT breeding, will lie often upside down on my sofa with her head in my lap, but even when she is fast asleep in this position her skin will jump if I touch her tummy. If I touch her paw, the whole leg will twitch as if an electric shock has run through it. Sometimes this will wake her and she gives a lazy flick of her tail and that goofy Labrador grin, so it obviously doesn't bother her. She is a very sensitive dog all round, which may have something to do with the characteristic - and she is anyway much, much, much too speedy to be a guide dog!

SamandRupert

Post by SamandRupert » 27 Jun 2007, 19:29

Hello again, just thought I would update anyone who's intrested that today "Charlie went off to start his new life with his puppy walker, Julie. He will start his Puppy Training in 1 month to become a hearing Dog for the Deaf. :D
Since my last post I have learnt a great deal about breeding and studding (not sure if thats a word <lol>) and have spoken to several other stud dog owners and made quite few more good friends who I can ring and be assured of getting some good advice, one of which has helped me greatly with Colour profiling Rupert (A big Thankyou to you, You know who you are) :wink: I have discovered Rupert is pure Chocolate and will only produce Brown or Black pups no matter what colour the bitch is!
Rupert has produced quite a few litters of pups (all black <lol>)and has another 2 possibly 4 on the way (I'm hoping one will be a litter of Chocolate Cockapoos). One was a litter of Cavalier cross poodles (the owner instructed me to call them Cavapoos...sorry Sharon <lol>) and a few litters of Cockapoos including my own. I have had 2 owners pledge to donate a puppy so things are going very well.
I have begun working as a speaker for Hearing Dogs and will soon start training as an assesor of pups and I'm also hoping to train as a Hearing Dog Trainer in 2008. I also start my Stage 2 in British Sign Language in September and will be helping children learn sign Language in local schools. :shock: So as you can see I'm about to be very busy!
If you would like to see some photos of the pups that Rupert has produced, please have a look at my website. If you have any questions or can see how I could improve the site, or disagree with anything written, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm still learning and value other peoples veiws...especially if they are more experienced them me.
Sam x :D

SamandRupert

Post by SamandRupert » 27 Jun 2007, 19:47

Awww Lisa has said she doesn't mind me naming her(Pennyali) :D You have been such a star!!! I have cringed at the posts where we argued. :oops: Without Lisa's help and advice I would still be hoping Rupert might produce a Gold Cockapoo <lol> I'm sooo glad we could get over our differences.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 27 Jun 2007, 19:52

Your more than welcome :D

freedom

Post by freedom » 28 Jun 2007, 08:24

Coool 8) Glad you two sorted things out

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 28 Jun 2007, 08:25

LOL Sam no need to apologise for your cavapoos. :lol:

I have two beautiful cavalier :wink: pups at the mo lol. :D I am really proud of them - they are Champion sired. 8)

Good luck with your future breeding. :D

SamandRupert

Post by SamandRupert » 28 Jun 2007, 13:22

Hi Sharon, also apologies for sending you to that forum....I now realise they are a completly different breed :shock: I must admit I have been browsing both forums and have seen your little cuties and have to say they are stunning and I here you are keeping them both, you softie! :lol: but I don't blame you. I must admit to getting a little choked when Charlie went on Wednesday and with the rest off this weekend I know my children and I are going to be in tears but every home sounds perfect and they all know if their circumstances change then to return the dogs and I will take them back without hesitation and either rehome them myself or I'll donate them for training.

*I have edited a few of my old posts due to Lisa and I completly missreading each other and being a little embarresed by my attitude. We are now good freinds and regulary chat on the phone for ages, much to my husbands annoyance (he's usually waiting for me to cook lunch or tell him where his clean socks are!)

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 29 Jun 2007, 14:04

LOL glad you have settled your differences. 8)

I am going to find it a real problem letting one of the girlies go - but I know it is never the best option to keep two pups of the same age ... so think I will have to be brave - that said, they are three weeks on Sunday and have made not a single effort to find a home for her. :lol: I can put her on the puppy register of our breed club - and prob will do when I feel able. :?
Yep that site was king charles - lots of people mix them up, so you are not alone - but imho the cavaliers are much nicer dogs to look at due to their longer muzzle. :wink: and their natures are different. (although cav's do originate from king charles spaniels obviously).

rozie

Post by rozie » 29 Jun 2007, 14:47

Awww Sharon, i too have seen your babies on the other site! I have only just clicked! Duh! They are beautiful you must be very proud! Hannah is a lovely looking girl, (I think that was her name?)

Rozie

Owned By 2 Goldendoodles
My Pride and Joy Sam and Ele

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 29 Jun 2007, 17:48

Thanks Rozie. :D Yep Hannah is their Mum. I must put more pics up as their eyes are open now. 8)

SamandRupert

Re: Tall Chocolate Miniature Poodle Stud

Post by SamandRupert » 14 Feb 2008, 18:28

Update for anyone whos interested.
Last year I donated a Cockapoo pup from my own litter to Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. I have just heard today that Charlie has passed his FINAL assessment and is now living with his new Deaf owner and will be getting 3 months of intensive training before he becomes a fully trained Hearing dog.
I can not express how proud of him I am and how excited and chuffed I feel, knowing that a simple gesture will change someones life now, forever.

Hearing Dogs help people with hearing loss to have a full and social life, they get people who may have felt isolated and lonely back into the community and give them confidence to face the world.

If anyone is thinking of donating a pup as an assistance dog then please don't hesitate. Your more then welcome to ring me anytime if you would like to know how. My home number is 01395 222895
Sam x

CAROL SHAW

Re: Tall Chocolate Miniature Poodle Stud

Post by CAROL SHAW » 14 Feb 2008, 22:50

Hi We offered a labradoodle pup to Hearing Dogs he went for assessment at 7 weeks but they decided he would be too big as they have to wake up there owner and all you standard doodle owners know if you got an adult doodle landing on an elderly deaf person it would not be good. However standr doodles are being used as assistant dogs for disabled people "Canine Partners" have several so yes doodles can help as I find them easilr trained and keen to do a job