Want to breed doodle from my choc girl - Where do I start??

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
chocylab

Want to breed doodle from my choc girl - Where do I start??

Post by chocylab » 03 Aug 2010, 20:54

Hi! I've bred gorgeous kc reg choc labs for a few yrs now, for their temp & being so great with children.... but sometimes they can we a bit of a handful!

I had heard about labradoodles & was I admit a bit dismissive due to it being a cross breed, that's until I met one. She was just gorgeous (a beautiful choc grey brindle colour) & I was hooked!! The research began & from meeting others I was won over by their temperament & bonus of being better for allergies...
I would love to try a litter... But want to know as many tips as poss 1st so I do it responsibly & professionally. Should i go for a miniature or standard poodle or a labradoodle? what colours would work well or should be avoided? how & where should I register the litter?? Can someone tell me how generations are distinguished - ie F1b F2 etc and dont fully understand the labels...

Thank you so much in advance to whomever takes time to reply!! Suzi

Brad

Re: Want to breed doodle from my choc girl - Where do I start??

Post by Brad » 03 Aug 2010, 22:18

Sounds like your seeing £££££££££££ signs. Tell the truth you want to sell Labradoodles because you can get more money for a Labradoodle puppy than a Lab.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh but thats my opinion and i know, it does not really count.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 03 Aug 2010, 22:33

I think I would be very cautious as well assuming you're not a sock puppet?
There is an excess of doodles with many coming into rescue as people are sold them as allergy free; they can also be very challenging dogs as well - more so than labs!
Doodle Post web site has lots of breeders on there who will give you any advice - all of them health test their dogs before they breed them - essential with doodles.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 03 Aug 2010, 23:23

Hi,Good on you for asking for advice.
In my opinion the mum in an F1 should be the standard poodle and dad lab because the poodle is the larger breed and I know someone who bred a litter and they seemed fine until vet checked at 3 weeks and they were brain damaged because they where squashed in the
birth canal. I will pm more details if any one wants to know.
If you decide to go ahead with your mateing you bitch must be hip scored below the breed standard (I think 15) for a labrador and a clear eye test you poodle should also be hip and eye scored and preferably S.A tested.
You should also have people wanting the puppies before they are born
We have been breeding for 11 years now and have a litter due and have the least people on our list that we have ever had and we will seriously look at interest before breeding again as ther are so many litters out there for the wrong reasons and from inferior stock.

JasperS

Post by JasperS » 03 Aug 2010, 23:34

I'm not getting into any breeding debates because I am not knowlegeable enough on the subject but I will just say be careful because my friend just bred her Choc. Labrador and out of a litter of 9 puppies so far (at 7 weeks) she only has 2 confirmed homes. The recession has bitten and people need to think very carefully. Both Mum and Dad were hip and eye tested too and raised in a home with children so these are puppies that should have been snapped up.

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Aug 2010, 00:07

CAROL SHAW wrote:In my opinion the mum in an F1 should be the standard poodle and dad lab because the poodle is the larger breed and I know someone who bred a litter and they seemed fine until vet checked at 3 weeks and they were brain damaged because they where squashed in the
Have I got this the wrong way round? I always thought that it was best for the lab to be the Mum of any F1 litter because they have wider pelvic areas than narrow hipped Poodle girls? :?

I know some Poodles are used to breed Doodles but, unless the Lab stud was a working lab and smaller then a heavy show lab stud, the breeder would run the risk of the Poodle carrying huge pups surely? :?

Bit confused by this :oops:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

gemsie10

Post by gemsie10 » 04 Aug 2010, 07:39

Blimey some of you really go for the jugular don't you, leave the poor guy alone he is only asking for some advice and the usual suspects do what is expected gang up on anyone who is even thinking of breeding there dog. At the end of the day it is up to the individual and it really is non of your business. Choclab I am so sorry for the unfriendly replies. I was originally thinking of breeding my mini goldendoodle but decided to have her spayed as I couldn't go through all the trauma and having to part with the puppies in the end and it was my decision. I made the mistake of coming on here and asking for advice and I got the same responce. Most of these people don't even like labradoodles that is why they are so defensive and I feel that they should not even be on this forum
Please do not be put off by these harsh comments, there are some nice genuine people on here that will be able to give you good advice
Good luck with whatever you decide to do

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Aug 2010, 09:17

Julie, only one person has made a rather strong remark here in reply to this poster. The rest have pointed out that the market for Doodles (and many other puppies) is saturated already and supplied useful information on where other breeders post.

No breeder wants to be left with unsold puppies, and the Rescues certainly don't need litters dumped on them, as is happening all over the country. :cry:

More and more dogs are coming into the Trust because either their owners can't afford to keep them (and we are only at the start of the credit crunch - more cuts and taxes have yet to be implemented) or because they cannot manage unruly, bouncy teenage doodles, especially the boys.

Chocylab, you say you found some of your previous labs a bit of a handful, you can double that bounciness in many Doodles. They are not a breed for the faint hearted as you are combining the friendliness and happiness of the Lab with the quick witted intelligence and spirit of adventure of the Poodle. The result is a dog who adores humans but also thinks it is one :lol: A handful indeed :roll:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Lola

Post by Lola » 04 Aug 2010, 09:38

CAROL SHAW wrote:Hi,Good on you for asking for advice.
In my opinion the mum in an F1 should be the standard poodle and dad lab because the poodle is the larger breed and I know someone who bred a litter and they seemed fine until vet checked at 3 weeks and they were brain damaged because they where squashed in the
If you decide to go ahead with your mateing you bitch must be hip scored below the breed standard (I think 15) for a labrador and a clear eye test you poodle should also be hip and eye scored and preferably S.A tested.
You should also have people wanting the puppies before they are born
We have been breeding for 11 years now and have a litter due and have the least people on our list that we have ever had and we will seriously look at interest before breeding again as ther are so many litters out there for the wrong reasons and from inferior stock.
My Lola is an F1 with a lab mother, she was one of 12 and both mother and ALL the pups are happy and healthy. Dont forget that their are different size labs and standard poodles. If you breed and small lab with a large standard poodle then yes there could be problems but if you breed a 'Traditional' lab (a large one) with a standard poodle the you should be fine (assuming you both parents are healthy and not carrying any diseases).

Suzi if you want to breed then I would recommend getting some relevent health tests on your bitch (hip, elbow and eye), get someone to independently assess the temperament of your bitch (e.g. your vet) and then take time to find a 'QUALITY' poodle stud.

Good luck

PAul

Lorraine82

Post by Lorraine82 » 04 Aug 2010, 10:51

Hi, it is quite a controversial subject. I think people are only trying to state the concerns about over breeding , many already being in rescue centres. I definetely think it wise to research before doing it and trying to establish if anyone you know would be interested in the pups before you do it as Ive seen for myself that its not always easy to sell them all. The breeder that we bought Myla from still has two black boys for sale. Now being 15 weeks old it must be a handful as she already has kept a black girl pup and owns the mother (labradoodle). I can only imagine that its difficult having 3 pups at that age along with mum.
I have to confess that secretly I would love to breed Myla when she is older but Being realistic dont know if we could have the room for all the pups and time off work etc. it cant be easy.
Personally my reasons for wanting to do it is to give people the opportunity up in Scotland to get one as I trawled the internet for 3 months searching for an F1B in cream and absolutely nothing. We had to travel 6 hours to Banbury, Oxfordshire to get her.
There are so many in England but hardly any in scotland, I dont know why.
So many of our family and friends have said "Oh you definetely need to breed her " as they say they would all love one. But if I were to do it I would definetely need to have already secured homes.
What I would personally be interested in is possibly breeding with a golden doodle as Ive been reading about them online , " Double doodles" they are called, they look like total teddy bears, absolutely gorgeous, there are a couple for sale on Epupz.
To be honest though it probably wont happen as I would be concerned that something went wrong and Myla was bought as a pet so I wouldnt want to jeopardise her health.

With regards to the different generations, it seems complicated at first but its really quite simple.
An F1 is the first generation, a straight cross between a labrador and a poodle. The coats in this type can be more wavy/wirey and still shed to a degree.
An F1B is a labradoodle back crossed with a poodle again , this enhances the coat which is less likely to shed and is more wavy/curly in appearance. Technically these dogs are 75% poodle 25% lab.
This is what my dog Myla is and so far so good, she dosent shed at all and I just love her coat. Very wavy/curly, it looks like she has been crimped>
Its down to personal preference though.
F2 stands for second generation. Such as labradoodle x labradoodle.
Then you start going into 3rd , 4th generations etc. down the line.

Lorraine

ImageImage

chocylab

Post by chocylab » 04 Aug 2010, 12:43

Thank you all so much for your replies! Your dog pics are so cute!! A lot to think about but its great to have opinions... For the record, yes my girl has had all the KC recommended tests. I am a registered stud with KC. My puppies have always gone to fabulous (vetted) homes & we stay in touch & get lots of Christmas cards etc from happy owners. If I decided to try a litter I would get a waiting list before considering a mating...Thats how I do the labs, hence reason I only breed every couple of yrs...
Best wishes

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 04 Aug 2010, 17:51

Not sure why you couldn't find a breeder in Scotland Lorraine - both my boys were bred by Jackie at Toralabradoodles. Colin (apricot) is a F1b

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lorraine82

Post by Lorraine82 » 04 Aug 2010, 18:22

I actually contacted Jackie at Tora labradoodles.I contacted every single Scottish breeder that is listed on "Breeders online" and not one of them had any available f1B's due to either having no pups at all or all were already reserved. That was the end of April this year. So I registered on Epupz and checked it every single day and thats where I found the advert. Only one Scottish breeder had Australian labradoodles priced at £1500 and that wasnt what we were looking for. Trust me, before we had to buy a Sat Nav and pay for petrol for a 6 hour drive and pay an overnight stay in banbury, I checked that none were available in Scotland.

Lorraine
ImageImage

trixiedoodle

Post by trixiedoodle » 04 Aug 2010, 18:44

Personally I would wonder what makes you want to breed Labradoodles. Whilst I think it is good that you are asking advice I think you would be better asking breeders. Are you doing it for the money? I wouldn't breed dogs at all but if I did it would be because I am passionate about the dogs concerned. Most of us know that chocolate Labs are giddier than the other colours so it would perhaps be better to breed from quieter natured Labs. I can understand why Gemsie put her comments because it doesn't matter that only one person made a tactless comment, there is such a thing as descretion and courtesy; someone else suggested this OP is a sockpuppet???? I remember not too long ago people were very nasty about gemsie on her thread about breeding and find the hostility unnerving and rude. chocylab, whatever you do please put a great deal of thought into it because there will always be people quick to slate you for whatever - good luck.

trinared

Post by trinared » 04 Aug 2010, 19:35

Sorry if I am diverting from a topic a little but I am interested to know why choc labs are "giddier than other colours" ? I have heard this before and curious as Marley's mum was choc lab.
Also as Mrs Admin queried... I thought that it was better to have lad mum and poodle dad (depending on size of course), yet the comment above seemed to say the opposite should happen. Confused :? Again just interested as Marley's dad was standard poodle. I'm not intersted in breeding.
Marley and Duffy