Breeding a litter with Stella

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
stellaartios

Breeding a litter with Stella

Post by stellaartios » 27 Jan 2012, 09:45

We have the most beautiful labradoodle girl. Her mother was a black labradoodle and her father a standard white poodle. She is extra poodly. Extremely clever, scent trained, quiet and calm in the house, playful, fun and fast on the beach. We wanted to have one litter with her. She isn't KC registered and we don't have her family history other than what I've written. We took her to the vets and talked to a reputable breeder and they advised us that because she is already two - it isn't really sensible to try and do a HIP score now. They advised that if we want to breed her we should find a hip and eye scored mate - a miniature poodle or labradoodle and safeguard the puppies that way. I'd welcome any advice from this forum as you've always been very straightforward and knowledgeable. Thank you Caitlin

Adam Lindley

Re: Breeding a litter with Stella

Post by Adam Lindley » 27 Jan 2012, 10:37

Can I ask why you want one litter from her? She sounds a perfect family dog, but without her parents background, pedigree and health testing, or any health testing on Stella, she doesn't sound like a dog you should be breeding from.

Having the best stud in the world can't guarantee against health issues. 2 years old isn't too late for health testing, but financially, the health testing will put a big hole in any money made from the litter, and why would you put her through an anaesthetic for possibly one litter?

I'm sure she would make a great mum, but I'd think carefully before going any further.

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 27 Jan 2012, 11:04

I was quite interested in this post as I am thinking the same but want to do more research before I finally decide. Effie is now 19 months old and still hasn't had her first season so she will be well over 2 before any testing can be done.
My mother in law bred a litter of golden retrievers and her dog didn't need to be anesthetised for hip testing. She went to a place in Cambridge (we're in Norfolk). However, this was 20 years ago. Have things changed so much?
Provided you have taken all possible health risks in to account, I think the personality of the dog parents, the home life they have and the desire for the puppies to go to loving and caring homes is also very important.
I feel it's crucial to have the resources to pay for any issues that may crop up during the pregnancy, birth and for the puppies but I feel that earning money from the experience is not very high on my list of priorities and as you only want one litter too, I feel it's not high on yours either?
Perhaps be guided by your vet and your emotions on this one. I get the impression that as you're concerned and thoughtful about this decision, you'll be a great doodle mum and you will have done the best you can for your girl and any puppies she may have.
Good luck!

Sally and Effie

stellaartios

Post by stellaartios » 27 Jan 2012, 14:09

Thanks both. I am thinking carefully and I appreciate all different perspectives including the puppies' health and Stella's health. Commercial aspects are not the issue at all. I did look at all of the different costs including vet bills, the anaesthetic risks and stud fees.
I assume there'll be more perspectives and I'd love a well rounded view.
Caitlin

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Jan 2012, 14:24

I think your vet is wrong there. It would be true to say that at 2 the hip scores could be a little higher than they would have been at 1, but gettng them x-rayed and scored would still tell you if there was any problem there - not all dogs with bad hips show symptoms - Daisy was fine to all intents and purposes at 2 years, but she has HD - it just wasn't apparent until later. Don't forget the elbows as well, and the eye tests too.

If you look at the code of practice on this site you will see what sensible owners are expecting these days when they look for a breeder for their puppy. The responsibilities of the breeder don't stop when the puppies have gone to their homes - you have to be prepared to have them back at any time during their life, and you have to be prepared to care for any puppies that are returned with health problems. Breeding a poorly puppy must be one of the toughest things for a breeder I think - that and having puppies die.

Good for you doing the research - it'w as well to go into it with your eyes open!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 27 Jan 2012, 15:09

I think many of us with a lovely girl doodle go through the time of wanting to reproduce that perfect dog. It's a bit like feeling broody and wanting children.

You do need an anaesthetic for the hip/elbow tests as it's imperative that the dog is completely still. If you look on the labradoodle trust site you will find some guidance on breeding.

I think one problem with the advice you have been given is that many reputable breeders with good stud dogs will only mate them with health tested bitches. I'm sure you'd only want the best for your girl so that could be an issue.

I personally was put off the idea by the thought of what my girl would have to go through (the tests/anaesthetic, the mating - not always a pleasant experience for the bitch, the increased risk of mammary cancer and of course, the risks of the birth. If, after taking all the negatives into consideration you still want to go ahead then I wish you luck and hope you find the guidance you need on here. x
Jean & Bella xxx

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 27 Jan 2012, 17:36

The price of doodles seems to be going down all the time and there just seems to be so many of them about. The thought of selling an animal (I've been asked why I don't breed my Arab) and not knowing their fate doesn't appeal to me but of course I wouldn't have mine unless someone else did. I would just worry that the market is quite flooded with puppies at the moment.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 27 Jan 2012, 20:36

Don't like to declare a vet as wrong but I believe your vet to be very wrong, as far as I understand it there is no upper limit to health testing and if you wish to breed these tests are essential. It also concerns me that you do not know your dog's heritage, would you be confident that you were not mating her to a close relative? Without a pedigree you will not be aware if there are any problems in the line, your dog may be unaffected but there could be issues that you cannot test for present in the line, ie Addisons.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 28 Jan 2012, 20:52

mistydog wrote:The price of doodles seems to be going down all the time and there just seems to be so many of them about. The thought of selling an animal (I've been asked why I don't breed my Arab) and not knowing their fate doesn't appeal to me but of course I wouldn't have mine unless someone else did. I would just worry that the market is quite flooded with puppies at the moment.
Its your dog to do with as you please,but I do agree with the dont do it brigade.There are huge numbers of unwanted Doods out there.These dogs are not always easy to own,they are large,clever,strong willed and not always healthy.They are bought by people who just wont listen when told that they do moult and do affect people with allergies.LT,preloved,dogs4homes infact all of the internet sites are over run with Dood pups,could you cope if it was a large litter then only a few were sold.My Lizzie would have made a good mum but for all of the above reasons she was spayed.Good Luck which ever way you go,I honestly think you will need it.Freda xx