including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 12:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone studded their labradoodle?
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 20:48 

Our f2B doodle is 8 months old. We are considering studding him when he is old enough and I was wondering if this is a bad/good idea, how much will tests cost, how much should we charge and is their any demand? We live in the West Country by the way!

Post subject: Re: Anyone studded their labradoodle?
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 21:07 

Phew! What a relief! When I saw the title I thought you were considering piercings for your dog!! drr...

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 21:10 

Ha! I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, stud out?!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 22:24 

I wouldn't want to use Beamish as a stud (gorgeous though he is :wink: ), because I am told that some males can start to be a bit of a pest with bitches once they have been used - not all obviously, but I wouldn't want to risk that happening as he is primarily a pet.

As well as doing the tests, I would as a matter of courtesy run it by his breeder. You need his full pedigree from them anyway, and some dogs aren't sold as breeding dogs but as pets so it's as well to check.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 21:03 

I think if we did do it, we would likely only do it once or twice and them get him neutered for health reasons rather than make him a career stud!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 22:59 

That's like letting me have a couple of bars of chocolate then saying I can't have any more :lol: If you do use him as a stud it doesn't always mean that he will lose all interest in the 'S' word. He might still go awandering :D

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 00:13 

Chloemacks wrote:
I think if we did do it, we would likely only do it once or twice and them get him neutered for health reasons rather than make him a career stud!

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but I have to ask what health reasons? From studies I've read, it would appear that health benefits of castration are rather outweighed by the possible negative health and behavioural repercussions. I can understand neutering to prevent roaming and unwanted sexual behaviours. But things such as testicular cancer are rare in dogs, and castration has little to no measurable effect on prostate problems.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 14:22 

Immi wrote:
Chloemacks wrote:

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but I have to ask what health reasons? From studies I've read, it would appear that health benefits of castration are rather outweighed by the possible negative health and behavioural repercussions. I can understand neutering to prevent roaming and unwanted sexual behaviours. But things such as testicular cancer are rare in dogs, and castration has little to no measurable effect on prostate problems.

THis makes interesting reading ..... http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5 ... ations.pdf

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 23:56 

I do think the number of health tested good looking stud labradoodles is far too few. We are in danger of limiting the diversity of the breed by not encouraging more owners to consider this. I would like to see the market saturated by healthy boys. However, there are many negatives as some have discussed to being a stud dog owner. Health testing is expensive, and not a guarantee that your doodle will get the girls! Being a stud dog owner is different to being the owner of a lovely pet dog, and certainly not as simple. Finally, although there are in my opinion not enough stud dogs, that does not mean there is a heavy demand for individual not known stud dogs.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 11:55 

Our vet told us we would extend his life by around 8 years by neutering him :? I must admit I haven't looked into it that much, I just took their word for it!