HIP SCORED STUD DOGS

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
CAROL SHAW

HIP SCORED STUD DOGS

Post by CAROL SHAW » 08 Feb 2006, 23:15

HI WE HAVE THREE STUD DOGS

RADICAL ROLO AT STONECELLARS CHOC LAB HIP SCORE 6 CLEAR EYES ELBOW 0 PROVEN THROWS LOVELY STRONG PUPS BOTH LABRADOR AND LABRADOODLE KC REG

MORPHEUS THE ARCHITCT AT STONECELLARS BLACK STANDARD POODLE HIP SCORE 14 PROVEN KC REG

STONECELLARS ITS OTTO BLONDE LABRADOODLE HIP SCORE 14 PROVEN 100% FERTILE 3 LITTERS SO FAR AND 3 ON THE WAY

ENQUIRIES WELCOME TEL 0191 3874616

EMAIL HURST.SHAW@BTINTERNET .COM

quilter

Otto

Post by quilter » 21 Aug 2006, 09:03

Hi ,
How big is Otto and what size are his offspring ?. Is there any difference in size generally between F1 puppies and multigens ? :D .
Many Thanks

claire

Post by claire » 01 Sep 2006, 21:09

Hi
Sorry to put a downer on your standard poodle stud but his hip score is to high. You should not be breeding from any standard poodle with a hip score above twelve and ideally considerably lower. This score is recommended for the breed by the kennel club.

claire nowicka-price
claire Nowicka-Price

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 22 Sep 2006, 22:50

Sorry the BVa for a standard poodle is !5
DOODLE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS HOPEING TO HAVE FOURTH GENERATION SOON.
STONECELLARS LABRADOODLES
Breeders of Standard English Labradoodles since 1999
DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 22 Sep 2006, 23:47

The BVA advise choosing stock with scores well below the breed mean scores.
So Labradoodle BMS is 13 and the Standard Poodle BMS is 15.
Please don't get me wrong but with recent topics on this forum lately, anything near that figure is excessive.
Both my Doodles dads, Standard Poodles,had hip scores of 5.
Also could anyone tell me, the eye tests Poodles have are only valid for a year, so it means nothing to say they are clear unless it has just been done, a bit like buying a car with a short MOT.
I am not a breeder just trying to understand it all. :?

itsmeisitu2

Post by itsmeisitu2 » 22 Sep 2006, 23:58

The Labradoodle score id say is unreliable at the moment not enough have been scored and not all scores that have been done are showing up yet ,My doodles score was 16 but Im no longer a breeder ( breathes a sigh of relief )
Ive been told it isnt as simple as just baseing it onthe score but more on how the score is made up so a dog with a really high score could be better to use than a dog with a lower score . I think Barb will know more about this than me, so maybe she can explain it all a lil better

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 23 Sep 2006, 00:04

Sorry i don't see how that works a hip score is a hip score surely.
I agree they havn't tested many, 16 according to BVA, but then they have only tested 16 Bichons.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 23 Sep 2006, 11:24

GUNNER wrote:Sorry i don't see how that works a hip score is a hip score surely.
I agree they havn't tested many, 16 according to BVA, but then they have only tested 16 Bichons.
Well say you had a total score of 11 - one hip scoring 1, the other 10

and then you had another score of of 13 - one hip 6, one 7

I think you would be better off using the dog with the score of 13 than the one with 11 as the hips are more even.

The first dog is more likely to develop hip problems with his hip that scored 10 than of course the second dog with hip scores of 6 and 7.

I think this is correct anyway. :D

As for the number of bichons that have been hip scored - well as a breed they are far less likely to develop hip dysplasia than a labradoodle - primarily because HD has been an especially big problem within the labador. Not so for the bichon frise - which is why so few have been scored.

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 23 Sep 2006, 12:22

Thanx Sharon
thats a bit clearer. :D

Barb

Post by Barb » 23 Sep 2006, 12:30

I have started a new thread on this in the Health Matters section of the forum.

One thing to remember is that anyone can say their dog is Hip scored, eye tested or SA tested, but what you really need to know is what the results are. Don't take their word for it. Ask to see a copy of the results.

There are people who would tell you they had done all the testing, even if they hadn't, just to make a sale. :x

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 23 Sep 2006, 22:09

Ive just heard one say exactly that and guess what, none of it has been done

eleanor

Post by eleanor » 24 Sep 2006, 13:46

I have been a hobby breeder/working dog owner since 1979 and had my first dog (a golden retriever) x-rayed in 1981. Many genetics experts, such as Malcolm Willis, would advise looking at the hip scores of as many relatives of a prospective stud dog as possible (ie, his progeny, his sire, his dam, any litter brothers and sisters etc). This frequently is not possible with labradoodles, although both purebred standard poodles and labradors from good lines should have family "hip histories" going back several generations. A dog with a score of say, 6:7, whose sire was a 3:4 and dam a 2:6, would be a better bet for breeding, according to these experts, than a dog whose score was 3:5, yet whose own sire was a 10:12 and whose dam was unscored. The first has okay hips and good hip genes. The second has good hips, but poor or unknown hip genes - and it is the genes that are passed on. I put this theory in practice last year when buying a chocolate lab pup. Her sire was a 3:2 and both of HIS parents scored under 10. Her dam was unscored (tch tch!), but both of HER parents scored under 10. I liked the pup and reckoned she was worth the risk. Her hips were x-rayed a couple of months ago and the score which has just come back is a 3:3. There are never any certainties in breeding, but the more data you have, the more able you are to make an informed decision.

Aero05

Hip Scored F1 Cream/Apricot Standard Sized Stud

Post by Aero05 » 10 Feb 2007, 19:08

:D Sammi is a B.V.A. Hip Scored F1 male. He is available for stub. Contact me if you would like to see some pictures of him.

AERO
ANDREA, JOHN, SAMMI + RICCO

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 15 Feb 2007, 00:01

Hi Aero what is Sammis hip score and what colour is he is he lab dad or lab mum and what hip score is the lab in his pedigree I am interested as I may need an outcross in a year or two

Aero05

Sammi

Post by Aero05 » 28 Feb 2007, 22:22

:) :) HI CAROL :) :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to your question. Sammi's Hip-Score came back a 2-6. His mum is a yellow lab and his dad is an Apricot standard poodle. His mum is Bracken and her Hip-Score is 4-3.

If you need any othe info let me know.

T.T.F.N.
AERO
ANDREA, JOHN, SAMMI + RICCO