including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 05:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Breeding , is it for you?
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 01:35 

Dont all jump on me and have a go but as an ex breeder i feel i need to say this .
Firstly when thinking about breeding take a few things into consideration.
1. it is hard work , the pups will need your constant 24 hr attention for atleast the first 3 weeks of life.
2. its not just a case of knowing your own dog you also need to know whats in your dogs lines somethin which I myself never considered at the time.I thought as long as my bitch and the stud were in good health then all would be fine. I have a standard poodle which i was considering using as a stud till I discovered whats in his lines and thats b4 i even have tests on him myself , so now to be responsible he will not be used as a stud and will be castrated.
Then theres the after care , are you prepared to be responsible for the dogs you have brought into this world for their entire life? Its not as simple as just handing them over to the new owners and then forgetting about them, you worry constantly about them , are they ok? are they healthy? are they being looked after properly? are the new owners using them as breeding machines? .
When the phone rings from a puppy owner your heart sinks , are they going to say they dont want the dog any more , worrying that they are ill or all is not well and they are having problems. Its very stressful and this worry will be with you if you are a decent person for the rest of the pups life.
Yes its nice to have a litter of pups to love and cherish and to see grow up into beautiful dogs ,but is the money you are going to get from breeding worth 12+ years of worrying? I think not. So think long and hard about your reasons for breeding before thinking about having a litter or 2 from your family pet.

And if you decide to breed dont just look at the tests of your own bitch and stud look back into their family tree. Are there cases of addisons disease or sa or many of the other inherited diseases? and if there is dont do it .But if you feel you must and you have them pound signs flickering in your eyes at least get advice from a decent breeder and I mean a decent one, one that knows the history of the dogs and what diseases they may be carriers of in the particular lines you will be breeding from.

Also think about the amount of dogs being bred at the same time, can you be selective of the homes they will be going to ? Do you seriously want to take the risk of one of your pups going somewere it might not be treated well? Are you bothered if your pet dies during whelping? yes that does happen , are you prepared to hand rear a whole litter if your bitch rejects them?

and finally If your not doing this for the money then why not become a fosterer instead and foster dogs who need your help, I can gurantee this will be far more rewarding than breeding , you will be doing something to help a dog in need and will feel a sense of pride knowing you have done your bit to give a dog a chance of happiness.
Too many pet owners go into breeding without considering all the options and without knowing anything, they do a bit of research and think they know it all when theres far more to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 05:40 

I have been trying to explain this to new Labradoodle owners since this site started, but so many new owners have thought it would be nice to have a litter with Fido!.
It will be the downfall of the Labradoodle.
Its like everyone that owns a camera thinks they are David Bailey, wrong think again, please let people who know about breeding have a chance to get this breed of to a good start. i.e. using good breeding stock, looking at pedigree's for well matched breeding lines,
If this hap hazard breeding carry's on the Labradoodle will become yet another breed with lots of health and behavioral problems .
There's more to driving a car than sitting in the driver's seat, PLEASE -PLEASE think what you are doing before you undertake to breed,
I know I lot of people want a Labradoodle and this I think spurs people into breeding. but please take a step back and look at the overall picture before undertaking this very big step in to the unknown.
Fiona
Cotswold Labradoodles

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 07:55 

PLEASE moderator make this sticky, so much essential stuff like this and health information is being lost as it disappears down the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 12:31 

Totally taken all of that onboard.
Meanwhile thought this may make informative reading.

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/intro.htm

Would certainly put me of off breeding dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 12:33 
Site Admin

Gunner - that link is broken :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 12:52 

hi
i did put in the wrong one first then amended it, this is it and it should work.
http://www.upei.ca/cidd/intro.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 12:55 

Of course Donna and I have been saying all this for years - to those of you who don't know we owned the very successful uk-labradoodles website up and until a few months a go - when we made the difficult decision to take it off the web.

It was actually our site that set out to advise of the need for health testing before breeding - at the time most of the more est. breeders dismissed the idea !

We all learn as we go along.....

I asked my breeder many, many questions before I bought my standard poodle Daisy (and I trust her word implicitly) and I also spoke to other breeders and saw the SA register.I did not want to bring a puppy into my family home that had a huge increased risk of getting SA/Addisons at some stage in her life - obviously she has now been bred from, making that even more essential. ..... (ok I must confess to also being a bit preoccupied with the idea of getting a brown poodle that was more likely to stay brown and not fade prematurely LOL - but health deffo came first!) With my first standard, I was less knowledeable, but still asked about SA etc.

As for my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - well, I did get her not just as a pet, but also with the intention of breeding from her (hoping to keep a pup from her litter to show but that is another story lol). I have lost count of the number of eminent cav people I spoke to at great length before getting her and then I studied her pedigree BEFORE I paid my deposit and then went on the cavalier club website and studied the clear heart register - I have done the very best I can to try and breed healthy pups, but there sadly is still no guarantee, but that is out of my hands. Well, I suppose I could choose not to breed, but I love the breed and I want to do my VERY BEST to try and breed dogs that are sound in health, temperament and type. I'd like to add to this, that Hannah's breeder doesnot show but had very healthy stock - all testing up to date and she even completed a four hour round trip to get the litter eye screened at 6 weeks - MOST of the show ppl I spoke to did not get the pups eye tested before they left for new homes !!!!!!!!!! Show ppl do not ALWAYS consider health to be the main priority !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I am sure Carole G and Barb could confirm this !)

Going back to Labradoodles .....

I have a dilemma ....

Standard Poodles have ALWAYS been my first love and I must confess to coming across the Labradoodle purely by chance.
The more I read about them on the internet, the more fascinated I became - the prospect of breeding a litter of pups that would have no hereditary health problems at all really, really got to me. How wonderful this "hybrid vigour" is - I wanted to be a part of this new breed, that was so much healthier than the lovely Standard Poodle sadly is.
Of course, as time has gone by, I have seriously started to doubt this so called hybrid vigour ...... infact I don't think it even exists and breeders seriously need to WAKE UP to this.

Anyway, with regards to my future breeding plans - aside from the cavalier king charles spaniel, I have a lot of thinking to do ......
The labradoodle is at risk of becoming as unhealthy (potentially MORE SO) as the Standard Poodle and the Labrador .... leaving me feeling very,very disillusioned and disheartened.
Mind you, I am disillusioned with the breed generally at the moment - inflated puppy prices charged by greedy breeders for dogs which in the main , they cannot predict how they will turn out, does actually make my blood boil .... in some cases £1000 for a dog that will end up looking like a very poorly bred labrador ... sorry if that is a bit close to the knuckle but it is true !

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I just wanted to add to this thread in the most honest way I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 13:19 

Hear, Hear!!! Sharon
I cant find a single word I dont agree with.
There is a terrible problem in breeding. You may find that there is not one bitch you may mate your dog to that does not have SOME risk of disease. All you can do is make the best choice possible and avoid putting possible carriers together and then prevent unknowledgeable mating of the result.
SO ON A RESPONSIBLE SITE, WHY IS THERE THIS DATING FORUM?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 13:31 

Carole g wrote:
Hear, Hear!!! Sharon

Dating or mating? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 13:44 

finn wrote:
Carole g wrote:
Hear, Hear!!! Sharon

Dating or mating? :lol:

same thing where dogs are concerned isn't it lol ? :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 14:14 

Sharon, I totally agree with every word you have said (of course that would be typed :oops: )........ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 14:16 

Carole g wrote:

:?: :?: :?: ask Mark that one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 14:18 

nice 1 Sharon xxx

Lol at dating site, spot on there.

Still totally upset about my std poodle baby I just pray that hes not going to devleop anything .

Also what i find amusing is , if people were to see a std poodle with its proper coat and not in the poncy show clip I dont think the labradoodle would be so popular, The poodle with proper coat is virtually everyones idea of the perfect labradoodle(apart from the square head) but who notices the head shape with all the fur on anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 14:23 

Elbumble wrote:
Carole g wrote:

:?: :?: :?: ask Mark that one :wink:

I think Mark Likes the breeders a lil 2 much tbh

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 16:06 

You are right what you say about a poodle with a longer coat looking not dissimilar to a Labradoodle.
My toy poodle always has a long shaggy coat and he looks very similar a little labradoodle, only a bit more hyper. :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next