breeding

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
peterannben

breeding

Post by peterannben » 01 Nov 2007, 15:37

hi, im going to breed my labrador sophie in january,im just wondering ,what coat type ,i may get if if i,bred her with a dood ,i dont think pip will be old enough as a sire at7 and a half months ,can any one enlighten me , i have to get this right , sophie had a large litter of 13 last time ,got to make sure all the puppies will find loving homes,it was easy enough last time her last litter were labradors, should i look for standard poodle or a doodle ,has anyone tried labrador to doodle?thanks ann

yoz1881

Re: breeding

Post by yoz1881 » 01 Nov 2007, 16:05

Personally, I think you would be better off with a poodle. Backcrossing a doodle to a lab would produce very smooth coated doods, which are obviously 75% lab, and would probably not have the desired look.

Whatever you decide on, please make sure that both Sophie and the stud have had the necessary health checks carried out
Catherine, owner of Roger & Dylan, the up and coming stud dogs ;-)

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 01 Nov 2007, 16:33

thanks catherine, i was thinking on the same lines , just wanted to make sure , sophie is fine,she was a great mum last time ,our usual vet thinks she is fineto have another litter, looks like i am definatly in need of a standard poodles duties for her,ann

doghouse

Post by doghouse » 02 Nov 2007, 11:57

Sorry can I just check, when you say your vet thinks she's ok, is that in addition to tests like hip scoring and stuff, or instead of?

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 02 Nov 2007, 13:52

because sophie has had a previous litter aged 2 , we have gone off granparents hip scores,our usual vet has told me that this fine annxx

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 02 Nov 2007, 20:38

its not fine. :roll:
experienced hobby labradoodle breeder.all parents health tested and pups reared indoors and garden.f1s,f1bs and minis occasionly available.

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 02 Nov 2007, 21:14

hi , ive been told too late now for hip scoring ,,if you can enlighten me further i will take it up with my vet,annx

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 02 Nov 2007, 21:23

it is never too late.just ask a vet to xray your dogs hips for hip scoring by the bva.none of the vets business really,up to you if you want her hip scored.you cannot always tell if the hips are bad just by watching them walk,run etc.my o h has a german shepherd with a hipscore of 74 and dosent limp.she has not been bred from and is now 6. :roll:
experienced hobby labradoodle breeder.all parents health tested and pups reared indoors and garden.f1s,f1bs and minis occasionly available.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » 03 Nov 2007, 01:50

Pretty amazed at your vets! I think if t were me I'd consider changing. I would expect a vet to know how important the right health testing is. :?

Hope everything works out for you though x

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 03 Nov 2007, 12:38

i will ask my vet again , sophie comes of the famous drakeshead kennels ,we have hipscores from sophies parents ,grandparents,which are really good,ann

Barb

Post by Barb » 03 Nov 2007, 14:57

Let me tell you a story.

Years ago (and I mean years :( ), before the days of breeding contracts and litigation happy purchasers, I bred a litter of German Shepherds.
My bitch had a good hip score and was suitable for breeding from. I chose a young dog to mate her to. He had a very good pedigree with very low hip-scores, with totals all under 5, (some were even 0 - 0's) for all of the five generations of dogs in it. My bitch came into season early before the dog had been hip scored. He was already booked into the vets for his x-rays but we knew the results wouldn't be back before the mating. Taking into account the history of excellent scores in his background, we decided to go ahead with the mating as we all expected him to have a great score.
His results came back just before the pups were born. The total was 57!!! :shock: I nearly died off. Needless to say, I was gutted. :(

The pups were all born safe and well and they were all sold as pets. I lost contact with most of them over the years but I do know one of the bitch pups was always at the vets with hip problems and she had to be put to sleep at 7 years old :cry: . (Had this happened today, I would probably have been sued!!! :oops: )

My point is that you can never rely entirely on the hip scores of previous generations. You should always hip score the dogs you are going to breed from or use at stud. :)

amber

Post by amber » 03 Nov 2007, 16:58

Absolutely 8)
Amber :)

peterannben

Post by peterannben » 04 Nov 2007, 12:21

i also agree but isnt that what we all do when we buy an 8 week old puppy , we go off the parents hip scores, ann

yoz1881

Post by yoz1881 » 04 Nov 2007, 14:12

Of course we do Ann, that's all we can do. But that doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a dog that you can breed from, without first getting them checked out
Catherine, owner of Roger & Dylan, the up and coming stud dogs ;-)

grainne

Post by grainne » 04 Nov 2007, 14:17

exactly, you've hit the nail on the head- we go off the parent hip scores

But in your case your buyers wouldnt be able to, nor could they look at the parents' parents' hip scores, they would have to look at the parents' parents' parents' hip scores, which isnt much good really is it?

Best thing is to get her hipscored, it doesnt cost too much and it will ensure you wont be bringing unhealthy puppies into th world

xxx