Breeding , is it for you?

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
Labradorable

Post by Labradorable » 01 Dec 2006, 23:35

As with everything in life, we all have our personal likes and dislikes :lol:

Don't bother arguing about it, just enjoy what you have and what appeals to YOU!

Kay

Frank-e-doodle

Post by Frank-e-doodle » 12 Dec 2006, 17:20

Surely people are only jumping on the band wagon because of the extortionate prices that BREEDERS are charging. Don't get me wrong i got Frank from Kimberlenes ££££, but i'm a strong believer in that you get what you pay for and he's a fantastic dog. BUT if these breeders were to relax their prices then surely anyone wanting to make a quick buck would think twice!!

And chelsea you would have my backing. Frank is a multi gen' and is what i would call a fine example of what a labradoodle should look like, but i've seen far too many adverts for so called labradoodles where these so called breeders have just put two family pets together and bang goes the breed!!!! :twisted:

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 12 Dec 2006, 18:07

I like all Labradoodles and think they are all fine examples regardless of which generation they are, they are all gorgeous :D

Betti

Daisy ARRRR what a sweety

Post by Betti » 05 Apr 2007, 22:31

I want to hug and sqeeze that scrummy little girl. Teddy bear rules. She is sooo cute!!
I'm from a Family of Dog Lovers and my Grandparents used to breed Poodles in the 60's and we have owned all sorts of breeds such as Bearded Collie, Miniture Poodle, Welsh Terrier, Lurcher and more but now's the time for a LABRADOODLE!! Can't Wait.

Ali Cat

Re: Breeding , is it for you?

Post by Ali Cat » 28 Aug 2007, 19:40

OK - before you all njump on me let me stress that I am NOT a breeder. I am not knowledgeable in the ways of dog breeders and to be honest, seeing the way they ponce around the arena I certainly don't want a dog to show. However...........

Eric is a particularly lovely dog (I know, I know, we all say that - but he is). He is the most gorgeous chocolate colour with loads of highlights, he is totally un-agressive and totally loveable.

3 people have asked me if Eric could have a "special word" with their bitch when he is old enough. I did not felicit these offers.

Although we bought Eric purely and utterly as a pet, I was tempted. We were told that the "fee" was the cost of a puppy or a puppy. Both tempting. I was happy to donate 2 of the stud fees to Labradoodle Rescue - quite fitting I thought and get his orginal cost back (hey, I never said I was a philanthropist - or a good speller)

However, there is now a question over Eric's parentage. So although he is fit a healthy (too healthy if you ask me) he could be a carrier of AD, SA, HD and loads of other letters, so I have been advised (by she-who-must-be-obeyed) not to do it. Gutted, I thought that at least I could do something positive for LR.

Such a shame - cos everyone thinks he's a fine figure of a dood and would be a perfect stud (Oliver Tobias of the dog world)

So remember - although there is loads of hassle on the bitch side, the sire side ain't so rosy either.

XX
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205 ... t/Eric.jpg

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

grainne

Post by grainne » 28 Aug 2007, 20:59

reading through this thread made me laugh- reading people falling over themselves to agree who now more than dont!!

what a difference a year makes and we're still in the same boat!!

xxx

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 28 Aug 2007, 23:37

how do you send a pm now the site has changed alicat I waould like to pm you Carol

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 29 Aug 2007, 07:47

Underneath my post is a pm button, the voila!! the post she is sent! (sorry, loved the Cointreau advert of the 70's where he says "and Voila, the ice she melts"... sad cow that I am)

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 29 Aug 2007, 10:42

Hi Girls. What very interesting reading this makes :shock: As you say, what a difference a year makes... :wink:

My OH is very keen for us to breed Muppet :evil: I have said NO - due to all the reasons stated. I must get OH to read this too.

I do think that it takes a very special person to take on breeding - either that or very unscrupulous ones (I mean puppy farmers of course :twisted: ). I know that I could'nt take on that responsibility or risk my dearly beloved Mupps.

Mark recently stated in the "allergy friendly myth" thread (general discussion) that he thinks that a fair price for a Doodle pup would be £300-£400 . Personally, I was happy to pay £600. Why are puppies not available at the lower price ? (I don't need convincing, BTW) perhaps you could tell Mark !

I think perhaps Mark needs to know the costs involved in getting all the relevant tests done etc. and it would be good to highlight that here so that others wanting to breed their dogs could be aware of the initial financial outlay.

Thanks ladies. :D
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

grainne

Post by grainne » 29 Aug 2007, 10:54

I normally do agree with you claire- but on this occasion...I couldnt agree more!! Lol

too much heartache, not enough knowledge, not enough time.

I wouldnt build my own house, I wouldnt operate on myself, why would i breed a pup for myself??

xxx

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 29 Aug 2007, 11:15

Ali Cat wrote:OK - before you all njump on me let me stress that I am NOT a breeder. I am not knowledgeable in the ways of dog breeders and to be honest, seeing the way they ponce around the arena I certainly don't want a dog to show. However...........

Eric is a particularly lovely dog (I know, I know, we all say that - but he is). He is the most gorgeous chocolate colour with loads of highlights, he is totally un-agressive and totally loveable.

3 people have asked me if Eric could have a "special word" with their bitch when he is old enough. I did not felicit these offers.

Although we bought Eric purely and utterly as a pet, I was tempted. We were told that the "fee" was the cost of a puppy or a puppy. Both tempting. I was happy to donate 2 of the stud fees to Labradoodle Rescue - quite fitting I thought and get his orginal cost back (hey, I never said I was a philanthropist - or a good speller)

However, there is now a question over Eric's parentage. So although he is fit a healthy (too healthy if you ask me) he could be a carrier of AD, SA, HD and loads of other letters, so I have been advised (by she-who-must-be-obeyed) not to do it. Gutted, I thought that at least I could do something positive for LR.

Such a shame - cos everyone thinks he's a fine figure of a dood and would be a perfect stud (Oliver Tobias of the dog world)

So remember - although there is loads of hassle on the bitch side, the sire side ain't so rosy either.

XX
Hiya, if I were you, I would not rely soley on the opinion of one person - and I can only guess who that one person is - and she isn't a labradoodle breeder.

mhayhurst
Site Admin

Post by mhayhurst » 29 Aug 2007, 12:36

OK by all means explain to me what the differences are between breeding a Labrador or a Poodle and breeding a Labradoodle? What additional tests or more expensive tests /have/ to be done for a Labradoodle that one should not expect of a pedigree dog?

I do understand that there are initial costs in anything like this and clearly to make this clear to people thinking they can make a few easy quid is a really good idea but my questions are to do with market price (and understand I am somewhat being devil's advocate here).

Thanks,
Mark

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 29 Aug 2007, 12:58

XX[/quote]

Hiya, if I were you, I would not rely soley on the opinion of one person - and I can only guess who that one person is - and she isn't a labradoodle breeder.[/quote]

Yup - totally agree, however Eric's mum is an unknown quantity and the sire has AD, SA & HD in his forebears.

I have another breeder looking into the mum as we speak, but so far no luck.

I had a cat that was a carroer for Feline Leukemia so I know how heart breaking it can be to thing that you are responsible for passing it on.

At the end of the day I have to trust you guys and take on board your comments, however diverse. Puppy breeding is not an exact science but you can cut down the possibilties.....

So keep the advice coming..... :lol:

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 29 Aug 2007, 16:10

mhayhurst wrote:OK by all means explain to me what the differences are between breeding a Labrador or a Poodle and breeding a Labradoodle? What additional tests or more expensive tests /have/ to be done for a Labradoodle that one should not expect of a pedigree dog?

I do understand that there are initial costs in anything like this and clearly to make this clear to people thinking they can make a few easy quid is a really good idea but my questions are to do with market price (and understand I am somewhat being devil's advocate here).

Thanks,
Mark
I am quite interested to know myself !

Hellooo - any one willing to volunteer the info ? :D
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

kATE

Post by kATE » 29 Aug 2007, 23:43

The stud fees in some Labradoodles are higher in our case the stud we are using is alot higher .

I have had so many enquiries from people with severe Allergies , I have advised against a labradoodle . Some of the minor allergy sufferers want to come and spend time with our dogs first to see if they have any reaction. At the moment I have a few families coming for a few hours all on seperate days .Where as if you were buying a lab , that suitability test wouldn't be needed . Of course you invite families into your home to spend time with your dogs and find out if they are the sort of people you want to have your pups.
PLUS Alot of families have never met or seen a Labradoodle and want to see what they look like !

Also the health testing , you in some cases have to test for diseases that occur in both Labs and Poodles instead of just one breed .

All of the above points can put extra costs/time on to the breeder, Not that it always Justifies ridiculous prices .
Some breeders do very little with their pups , fed on cheap food , have very little interaction with them , not health tested parents , not had vet care , paid for a cheap unhealthy stud ,AND STILL charge ridiculous prices !
Good breeders that give their pups /mother the very best , and leave nothing to chance , do not cut corners , feed the best food and given attention 24/7
IMHO They have the choice to charge whatever they like !

There are alot of Fantastic Labradoodle breeders out there going the extra mile for their dogs ,forking out the extra costs because if like me they want to see the labradoodle have a wonderful future , not one of health problems , and labels of being dodgy designer dogs !
Getting a 'newish breed ' developed in a strong healthy well balanced way , can cost more than breeding your average established breed IMO!

Anyway what Iam trying to say is that it isn't as straight forward as some other breeds

I can never write down in words what I want to say ... you all get what I mean though don't you LOL

Kate
:wink:
Last edited by kATE on 31 Aug 2007, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.