Thinking About Breeding From Jack - Is He Suitable?

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
scoper

Thinking About Breeding From Jack - Is He Suitable?

Post by scoper » 03 Dec 2007, 22:28

he's a lovely natured dog, 3 months too young at the moment and we will hip score him and do all the necessary (any tips on what we'll need to get done would be appreciated)

he's not your classic labradoodle coat wise but he is a beautiful dog and gets a lot of attention when out and about

his father is stonecellars its otto and mother is katie (susanan's katie) - not sure what he is with the f's :oops:

susanan

Re: Thinking About Breeding From Jack - Is He Suitable?

Post by susanan » 04 Dec 2007, 13:11

Hi Sue

Jack is an F2 as Katie is an F2 and Otto is an F1 (you go up from the lowest)

I will think very seriously about using Jack for stud. I know he is a lovely boy but once you start using him as a stud he will expect a steady flow of girls for his enjoyment which could cause you problems if you were unable to do so.

I am sure those on the forum with more experience with stud dogs will be able to advise you more.

Nice to see an up to date photo of Jack.

Give Jack a big hug for me.
Susan

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 04 Dec 2007, 14:40

If you were to use him as stud you would need to try to find a mate that would benefit from his look, ie. a very curly coated Labradoodle or a Poodle. He's a beautiful dog but F2 litters can be particularly unpredictable (as I found with my own). Most Labradoodle breeders are aiming to produce curly/shaggy, minimum shedding dogs, don't get me wrong, I love the scruffy's and smooths too. My favourite look is the shaggy hair coated type that do shed slightly but don't need constant clipping etc. I agree with the other post about possible changes in behaviour (ie. wandering off and aggression towards other male, intact dogs). It's not an easy decision to make - good luck! :D

jags

Post by jags » 04 Dec 2007, 16:03

not sure about the studding but he is gorgeous :mrgreen:

amber

Post by amber » 04 Dec 2007, 17:30

Yep he's gorgeous, but agree with the above.
Once they have mated once, like men they expect it all the time :lol:
They also mark their territory, in the home :roll: Stud dogs i mean.

You would need to get him, hip, elbow and eye tested. You may have to travel a long way to do the annual eye test as the vets who do them are few and far between.
Good luck with your decision :)
Amber