how do you begin to breed/promote your stud dog?

Use this area if you are thinking of breeding from your dog and are looking for a suitable 'partner'!
limegarden

how do you begin to breed/promote your stud dog?

Post by limegarden » 13 Jan 2008, 17:30

can anyone help with information? i have a male 11 month old chocolate minature labradoodle, i would like to advertise him for a stud dog ( mainly for a new puppy initially!) how do i advertise him if he has never bred before? i honestly have not a clue where to start as he is our first dog.
thanks

issy
norfolk

tashanlouie

Re: how do you begin to breed/promote your stud dog?

Post by tashanlouie » 13 Jan 2008, 17:51

Have you had all his hips scored/ tests ect.
These need t be done before anyone will use him as a stud

xx
Tasha

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 13 Jan 2008, 17:52

Gosh Issy!
thats a hard question & I really have no idea - but I'd probably talk to the breeder you got him from, as they should be able to assess if he has right traits (looks, personality, health etc.) to be a suitable dad.
I think you'd also need to get quite a few health checks done - hips, elbows, eyes, etc.

And if he's your first ever dog, you need to demonstrate to the owners of his prospective wives that you are confident & able enough to handle their cherised dood :shock:

There are some very knowledgable breeders on this site who'll give you some good advice.

I'd be scared to death :shock: :D
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

julies0708

Post by julies0708 » 13 Jan 2008, 17:57

I'm planning Bailey (20 months) as a Stud dog and have him booked in for his hip scoring in February and as our local vet does not do eye testing I have contacted our nearest vet who does this (some 100 miles away) and he is on their waiting list to see a guy who tests eyes (Tony Wall??)

Only once his scores come back will I seriously consider using him as a Stud and then I think I would offer him FOC until he proves himself :wink:

Doods just wanna have fun

Image Image

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 13 Jan 2008, 18:24

best advice is speak to the breeder you brought him from, you will also need his full pedigree for both sides, plus he should really be Optigen tested as he is a Miniature Labradoodle and PRCD is in both Labradors and Miniature Poodle lines and even if he does not have it, if he carrys it and is put to another dog that carrys it they could produce blind pups, but if all of his tests are good and every thing else ticks the right boxes I may be interested in using him in the future, why don't you post a picture of him?

Fiona loves Doodles

Post by Fiona loves Doodles » 13 Jan 2008, 19:45

Hi Issy

Would you be kind enough to pm me we've been looking for a miniature doodle stud for a while as we're considering a litter in the future from our mini dood,

cheers fi

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 14 Jan 2008, 23:32

Lisa got it absolutely right, PRA dna testing is simple and cost effective and proves the safety (as regards eyes) of your dog. Breeding blind dogs once was a risk that breeders had to take, it is inexcusable now that it can be avoided by a simple test.
The Kc have a relatively new scheme for registered breeds
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin ... &h=242&f=0

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin ... &h=242&f=0

Samples for the non registered breeds can be sent off by your vet when the other health testing is done. PRA could be eliminated by testing and that would be really splendid.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS